1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Phase One (Capture One Pro and Express)

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Dgrover, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Dgrover

Dgrover New to TalkEmount

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi Forum,

Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is David and I work for Phase One in the Capture One department.

If you have watched any of the tutorials here...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDMRz3ssFQH6eHHX5Pw2Lf0DO8UB5siyH

Or here...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDMRz3ssFQH4_bHgvG4RrHMrM0-oL8396

Then that's me.

Equally I run our weekly webinar program and the calendar for that is placed here...

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Events/Capture-One-webinars.aspx

I wanted to drop in and specifically mention the webinars as next week we have one dedicated to tethering with Capture One and Sony in conjunction with Tether Tools (http://www.tethertools.com) See attached image for inspiration! (Copyright Anders Espersen)

Sony on CO8_0004.

Hopefully I will see some of you there.

If you have yet to try Capture One, then don't forget there is a 60 day trial, where you can evaluate the Express and Pro versions. As mentioned earlier on this forum to upgrade from express to Pro is only 30USD.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Materials/Download-Capture-One-8.aspx

I will try to keep an eye on this forums (and other Sony forums) to answer any questions that may pop up!

Many Thanks,

David

• Like Like x 4
  2. tomrock

tomrock TalkEmount Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Thanks for stopping by. I'm curious -- is Sony going to start shipping their cameras with CO Sony Edition rather than their own raw converter?

3. Dgrover

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi Tom,

New Sony cameras that starting shipping later last year have an information leaflet included about Capture One and how to download.

So there is no 'physical' disc etc, but a reminder that you can download.

I have no information on what Sony intend to do with their own RAW converter!

David

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That's quite a set up

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi David, thanks for dropping by. I just want to say your Express program really made me a convert and I love the program.

However, I have a persistent issue that is stopping me from buying the Pro version: whenever I try to open an ARW straight from windows (double click an ARW with C1 as default program), C1 will load up fine but once I click Import inside the program, it always crashes. If C1 is already open at the time, importing works fine, but I find it very irritating that this crash always occurs repeatably.

I hope it gets fixed soon - when it does I will buy the full version because I'd like to use it with more than just my Sony cameras.

Thanks for your outreach efforts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    David,
    I was logged into the "Introduction to Capture One Express (for Sony)" webinar Nov. 19, 2014 but had to leave and I have not been able to find the replay posted - can you direct me to it? The part I attended was very good.

Thank you,

Rollin

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh David, hi again! ;)

Seems like you really want to make it easy for us to get our questions answered. That's great! And with that low price (for Sony users), it's impossible not to be excited about Capture One.

8. Dgrover

Jan 6, 2015
    Hi Qeuzra,

Ok, that's interesting! Have you raised a support case? Its by far the fastest way to resolution and completely free with a turnaround of normally 24 hours. Use the last link here..

http://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain.aspx

How about just going to the import window in Capture One and browsing to the file from there?

I am glad otherwise that your experience is positive!

David

9. Dgrover

Jan 6, 2015
    HI Rolin,

Its in the archive! :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDMRz3ssFQH5bVekS7WX6rW9pZu_X_vLJ

David

• Like Like x 1
  10. argon

argon TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Padua, Italy
    Giovanni
    is this better than free software rawtherapee?

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's the best RAW converter in the world - at least for 80% of the tools. Just try the free trial version if you want to get a taste. And for the incredible price we Sony users get Capture One Pro, it's impossible to resist imo.

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If it had lens profiles, I'd agree. But without them, several of my lenses are severely hobbled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You can create your own custom lens profiles, and if you don't want to search for the data you need for that, there are tons of resources online.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Can you link some of the repositories of lens profiles?

• Like Like x 1
  15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Yes please. Quite a few of my lenses aren't listed and I'm not sure I have the know how to create my own profiles.
    It's taken me a few months to get used to the workflow of the app itself I've had a few random crashes, and it 'losing' my photos on the Disk it's been a little frustrating. Hoping lens profiles aren't as difficult as it sounds in my head.

16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Creating lens profiles (at least in Lightroom) isn't particularly difficult. But it is extremely tedious. You have to take multiple shots of all the corners and the center of a target pattern at various apertures and then combine them using a special application. That's why I gave up on Capture One fairly quickly after giving it a try. Whatever it's advantages when it comes to raw processing (which I couldn't see) the amount of extra hassle it was going to put me though ultimately meant it got deleted from my hard drive.

17. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I get far better results with C1P now than with LR. Sharpness, colors etc. Plus, it's far quicker.

I don't worry about lens distortion that I can't see, and if it's obvious it can be easily corrected manually.

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, that's how Phase One also recommends to make your lens profiles. But that's just because this way, you get a profile that's perfect for your personal sample. You can, however, just as easily use the measurements from review sites like Photozone, put them into a lens profile, and have a profile that's as good as LRs. Combined with the overall better IQ of Capture One, it delivers an (IMHO) much better result.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Welcome, David. Thanks for dropping in and offering to answer member questions.

C1 has been my RAW processing software of choice for a long time now (disclosure: Phase One gave me a review copy in the past though I've bought my own since then).

20. Dgrover

Jan 6, 2015
    Thanks Armin and that's great to know. :)

With regards to lens profiles, on the later Sony cameras we automatically support any lens as we read the meta data from the RAW file. Just choose 'Manufacturer Profile' in the lens tool