1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Saladin, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Saladin

Saladin TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 25, 2015
    Hi all.

Just signed up because falling prices on the A7 in Australia are really tempting me towards full frame. (Currently have a mix of Pentax Aps-c and Mu4/3).

I'd treat the A7 as my "prestige, considered, contemplative" item. Probably just the one decent prime allrounder. 28 f2? 35 2.8?

And let my other gear handle the daily grind.

Then again, i might love the A7 so much that it always comes with me, lol.

Regards, and cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome Saladin! IF you're anything like the rest of us A7 owners, your other gear will soon be gathering dust on a shelf, or find itself on eBay. :D

3. Saladin

Jun 25, 2015
    Thanks! I think my other gear will be saved by finances. The FE lenses arent the cheapest, lol.

Probably a question better posed on the main boards, but has the A7 been substantially improved by firmware updates? Reading the Dpreview there is (was?) the posterization issue. Steve Huff and others dont mention it. But slow start up times are a common complaint in reviews and its something that i noticed in my 3 minute play instore.

The camera felt soulfull to me. Not sure how to explain it. Like us motorcyclists know that Moto Guzzi has some foibles but immense charisma and some class, thats how the A7 struck me. I think I'll pull the trigger and get one. I just need to see some examples of the mood and rendering that the sensor can lend a scene. And then select a lens.lol.

4. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Welcome Saladin,

If you will be using the A7 with primes, then if you can afford it you might think about going the extra distance to the A7II. The stabilisation is really helpful. For those using the kit (28-70mm) zoom or the Zeiss 24-70mm, the in-body stabilisation isn't as useful, as the zooms already have OSS.

I use the A7II with the Loxia 50mm. What a pleasure.

Good luck.

5. Saladin

Jun 25, 2015
    Hi Bill,

yes, the stabiliser certainly appeals but the price jump is literally 100% (The A7 is discounted for the next three days as a snap End of Financial Year sale at Teds).

So, I've gone and done it! for better or worse, lol. A7 and the 28/f2.0 is on order and heading my way on Monday. what have i done!? :coco:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Salidin,

You're going to love it. (I still have an A7 as well.) The A7 is worth every penny.

Bill

7. Saladin

Jun 25, 2015
    It's arrived !

14vo0uo.

• Like Like x 3
  8. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Good to see some more Ozzie's on board. A7's are sweet, but I may be bias. ;)

9. Saladin

Jun 25, 2015
    Clearly Mr Sony wants me to travel. There are four different region power sockets in the box!! Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Saladin

Jun 25, 2015
    Wait, What!?

"Charging time is approximately 310 minutes....."

Lol, ok, see you tomorrow.

Really? Five hours ? Crikey.

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Welcome! To answer your question, the firmware updates are beneficial to the startup times but only for a "warm" startup (keeping the battery in the camera). After changing a battery or leaving the camera off for a longer time startup still takes some 6 seconds no matter what.

After an hour of charging you should be able to use the camera already, do the rest of the charge later.

I have an A7 and I use shorter focal length legacy lenses (up to 50mm). My purchase of the FE 70-200mm (yes, pricey) put drawers full of telephoto legacy glass out of business; I'm not planning to upgrade to the A7II, not too much to gain for me and the camera is about 100g heavier. If you're planning on doing telephoto, you'd be better off with an A7 Mark II (which I don't have so I go by the judgment of many others). The upcoming A7R Mark II is quite something but its price is too :eek:.

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    28mm is a good choice, you might also want a 50mm. Plenty of great choices at that focal length with adapted lenses, for very cheap.

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome, you are going to love it.

14. Saladin

Jun 25, 2015
    Took it to work, sans Instruction manual. Managed to stumble onto how to send images to my phone, lol.

No idea how these will look at decent size, but First couple:

2vmuaab.

27yopiw.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    That looks like the kind of site you could get kicked off for playing with a camera :hmmm: