Hello from Lincolnshire, England

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Bolampau, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Dear All,
    just a quick note to introduce myself.

Photography has been my passion for many years. Two years ago I sold all my Canon gear and moved to Sony Alpha instead. A wise decision in my view as Canon seem to have fallen behind on new innovations whilst Sony have really woken up the marketplace with clever new technology.

So it seemed a logical step to buy a NEX 7 last week (with the 18-55 lens) but I'm finding it awkward to get used to the controls as they are very different from the a850.

Also, I really want a small carry everywhere camera and the NEX 7 is great for this - however, I don't want to try the LA2 adaptor with my full frame lenses as I want to keep the camera small and portable.

Cheers,
    Paul

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome Paul! :)

I found it easier to get used to the NEX-5N when I decided to ditch my DSLR mindset and thought of navigating through it like a cell phone.

The NEX7 is quite different and seems to be closer to a DSLR with those customizable twin dials (plus all the usual DSLR output terminals and hot-shoe that the 5N doesn't have). I hope to get a 7 one day :)

Four years ago, I narrowed down my DSLR choice between Canon and Sony Alpha, but at the time I chose Canon because I felt they still had quite an edge overall. Now, I'm well and truly - Nexified!

3. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome Paul

4. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    I really need to practice using my NEX 7 so I become more familiar with its workings and it becomes intuitive to operate.

It is probably the smallest camera I've used in years BUT I must admit that it's very comfortable to hold.
    N.B.I really hate the strap that came with it though, so have ordered a Think Tank strap to use instead.

I've also ordered an L39 to NEX adaptor so I can mount my old Voigtlander 15mm to get a wider view.

Cheers,
    Paul

5. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The 5N is smaller yet again than the 7, and even after becoming familiar with it I still inadvertently press buttons at the back (especially the DISPLAY change button). It's got so little real-estate to grab onto without pressing something - but I just love the 5N so much that I'm more than happy to put-up with it. The larger NEX7 would just be a dream to use, I imagine.

Yeah, ditch the standard strap. Let us know how the ThinkTank works out for you. (For some strange reason, I now prefer to use a robust wrist-strap for the 5N... after using a neck-strap for a while).

6. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi Dioptrick,
    the 5N sounds like it's very compact and easy to carry......if money was no object I'd buy one! :)

The Think Tank strap is brilliant, it folds up easily into the camera bag and has those rings halfway up the straps that enable the camera to be attached to a shoulder harness (rucksack etc.). Great simple design.

The only issue I've got with the 7 is the record button is a pain in the ass as it is too easily pressed by accident!

By the way, I'm interested to read you've got the CZJ Tessar 50mm, how do you find it?

Cheers,
    Paul

7. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Wow, I just clicked on your lens link and read about the lenses used in 'Saving Private Ryan'. How interesting,I never knew that they used vintage lenses!

Anyway, how's the Tessar now it's had a clean?
    Cheers,
    Paul

8. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    To be honest, I think I liked it better with the fungus before I cleaned it, lol. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful lens without the fungus... but I've got plenty other lenses that can pretty much do the same. I wanted a 'specialty' lens that I could call upon when I need a one-of-a-kind effect - but that has now been diminished. I still like it very much though - because it hazes-up in it's own unique, signature way. :)

Now, I'm in the hunt for a vintage lens that pops-up lots of circular spotty gleamy-flares... :eek:

9. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Excellent, this made me laugh!

LOL, I'd die of an instant heart-attack if I found fungus in/on my lenses!

Still, I can understand your quest for something a little bit special or different in terms of image quality. I've often used effects filters to the same end but have found them to be too contrived/obvious, whereas your approach is more considered and challenging. I hope you find those Holy Grail lenses!

Cheers,
    Paul

10. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Welcome Paul. I'm pretty new around here too. As you I'm coming from a Canon background and I just love going out for casual shooting with the NEX system.