1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hello from Italy, new user.. maybe!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Utik, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Hello I am Federico from Rimini, Italy.
    I write here because probably I will become a new user of sony Nex cameras and also because I didn't found any good Italian forum on this topic, but maybe this it's just my fault.

I'm 32 years old now and and my photographic history start's in the 90's with my mother Pentax gear.
    Then I moved to Pentax digital gear, and I have to say that I love this brand, quality and handling are optimal to me but recently I became a lot lazyer so I use a lot less my camera, now I need a compact mirrorles that allows me to have great quality without the burden of a DSLR (even if Pentax makes very compact DSLR).

ATM I'm torn between Nex and Panasonic, because they are the only two brands with retractable normal zoom lenses (the 16-50 and the 14-42 X), which should satisfy my need of quality/size. Sure in the future I will buy faster primes or bigger wide angle lenses, but I need a solid everyday option, and by now I'm leaning more towards Nex cameras, and precisesly the Nex-5r in kit with the 16-50 (I should also consider cheaper cameras but buying the 16-50 in a kit is much cheaper).

I hope you will be so kind to answer me a few question since I need to have some point cleared before moving my money to another system.

1. I've seen a small sony flash for next mount, it seems very practical for everyday use, but do sony has also a traditional/orientable flash? I looked in Metz catalogue but it doesn't seems to have nothig for nex and sometimes I really like the bouncing use of orientable flashes.

2. The 16-50 reviews talk about a decent lens for the kit price, with good resolution but poor distortion, this is corrected in-camera if you shoot jpg (and it's good for me), but what about RAW? Do we have Photoshop presets to make it automatic?
    To my knowledge m4/3 cameras already correct the RAW.

Thank you in advance.
    Regards

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome Federico!

I can't answer your first question, but the current versions of Lightroom and Photoshop (Camera Raw) both automatically correct for distortion and vignetting on the 16-50. If you're using an older version, you'll have to upgrade, or correct for the lens manually.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The flash situation with Nex is bit confusing. There are 3 different flash shoes (3's and 5's have smart accessory port, 7 has Minolta shoe and 6 ISO shoe). For smart accessory port there are two (?) flashes from Sony and the "bigger" one (Sony HVL-F20S) has tiltable head. Nex 6 has got one flash unit (Sony HVL-F20AM) available. Nex 7 supports Minolta shoe flashes and then there are adapters available from/to Minolta/ISO. There is also a flash adapter from smart accessory port to ISO but it doesn't work with TTL and it is unusable with 3 or C3 as the live view is too dim,

My solution is two cameras Olympus PL-1 for flash photography and Nex C3 for legacy lenses. Besides I hope that this thing will work some time in the future:
    --

Future with flashes is completely open, 3N may have smart accessory port or not.

If Allacax device will work I will stick with C3, otherwise I may purchase 5N (this is old model) or wait until 5R price goes down.

Nex is almost perfect camera for me but this flash business is driving me nuts. Besides I don't even want flash to the camera. I want working wireless flash trigger ... .;)

Welcome from me, too.

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    If you're looking for a versatile system with excellent zoom lens, I'd advise a Panny GX-1 with the older 14-45 zoom lens. The 16-50 is pretty cruddy and NEX AF is significantly slower than m4/3 latest gen.
    THAT BEING SAID, this is a NEX forum and I'm a NEX enthusiast, but to me the strength of the NEX system does NOT lie as it being an all-around camera. It disappointed me sorely as such. However, as a digital back to use to legacy lenses, it's friggin' brilliant. As Dixeyk, a NEX master says, don't focus on what the system is weak at, focus on what it does well, and you'll be happy. As a travel companion relying on AF, I find other systems to be superior. But for portrait, street at smaller apertures, or even landscape, if AF speed is not critical to success, than it really shines.

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Though I generally agree with Claire's take on the NEX vs. µ4/3 platform, Federico, I like the 16-50 lens. Having gone through 4 different Panasonic bodies (G1, GH2, GF3, and GX1), and the 14-45, 14-42, and 14-42PZ lenses, I prefer the 16-50 over all of them. Maybe it's just the kinds of things I like to shoot (mostly landscapes), but the extra width is very valuable to me, and I think the lens is quite good for a kit lens. In fact, it's the only AF lens I currently own, and so far I haven't been tempted by any other Sony lenses except the 10-18. And I'll buy that one just as soon as someone gives me $800. :rolleyes:

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    WoodWorks I realize you're probably right !! I really didn't give the lens a chance. When I got the 6 kit I was eager to see if it had fast AF as advertised, and seeing that it was not the case, I just disregarded the whole thing I ditched the lens the same day to lower the price of the body.
    Then I shot the 18-55 on the 24mp chip on the 7 that's it's unable to resolve and concluded that both kit lenses were duds. They're probably ok used in their specific strengths. But I'll always have a preference for the wonderful Panny 14-45, it's pretty insanely good for a kit lens.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome :)

8. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    I reckon that the m43 system is more complete and probably has better all around lenses, but I don't like the idea of the smaller sensor, and I also appreciate the wide end on normal zoom lenses

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes. Completely agree. The reason I dislike smaller sensor is higher noise and that legacy lenses are not very practical.

Pentax K-01 may be one option to the person who started this thread. It is quite heavy (500 g) compared to Nex.

10. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    The K-01 has the same sensor-to-bayonet distance of all other k-mount cameras, so there is no dimension advantage, and the lenses are as big as usual.

I'm considering only sony and pana because of their retractable normal lenses to be used as walkaround cameras, surely I will be buying other greater lenses in the future (in the sony lineup the 10-18 is the first in line) and also older manual lenses with their adaptors but I need a solid base to start.

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, if it's retractable lenses you're after, Federico, then it's no contest. The Panasonic 14-42PZ has a major problem with vibration at shutter speeds in the ~1/100 - 1/300 sec. range. It was a deal killer for me, after trying two different copies. There were several threads about this at DPReview and mu-43.com, and Panasonic has just stonewalled the issue completely.

That's not to say that the 16-50 is flawless. At 50mm mine (and several others) shows a slight back focus problem. But I use it almost exclusively at the wide end, and when I zoom in, I just use DMF to tweak it into sharp focus.

And Claire, you're right, that 14-45 was the best of the Panasonic bunch by a good margin. Had it only been smaller...

12. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    wow, vibration at medium speed is something I didn't see for a long time, I thought these errors were remote past.

13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I admit that I haven't monitored the situation since I sold my µ4/3 gear 2 months ago. But up until December of last year, there had been no fix for the problem from Panasonic.

14. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    I'm selling some gear, I will update you soon (I hope).

15. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    So, I finally bought a Nex 5r with the 16-50, and I'm happy as a child with his new toy!!! :cool:

Obviously this has been the most foggy, cloudy, rainy and uninspiring week of all the winter, and the next will be the same... :mad:

Nevertheless I went out from work at lunchtime to take some test shots, I was just checking the various functions (I love the auto DR on the in-camera jpg!) and trying to set it to my needs... it's a fantastic camera to use, with a very high quality in a small package, I hope I will not regret too much the viewfinder.

Some shots, jpeg ooc resized with a little sharpen.

prova1.

with an old friend at distance
    prova2.

prova3.

No really, no colors whatsoever..
    prova4.

Did I already said DULL?
    prova5.

I have to ask something, I see that there are several effects that can be applied to the images your are taking, but I couldn't find how to apply them to images already shot, like some in-camera processing.

16. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    there's an app you can download within the 5r.

17. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    WELCOME, nice photos :D

18. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Thanks hawon, I intalled a couple of apps but I didn't see an in-camera bw post production, only the "normale" adjustments, so I believe you would have to shot in bw from the beginning or rely to pc...
    This is my umor with this weather,
    prova8bn.

19. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Wow, today some sun, only for a few hours and I didn't get out in the morning, so I just did a quick test on my balcony.

The 16-50 continue to surprise me, good flare resistance but the sun it's not very "pointed", could be fault of the clouds, or could be one of his limits.
    prova10.

Even when exposed correctly it keeps nice contrast and colors.. well done sony! This is my last experiment, from next week-end let's go with pics!
    prova11.

20. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    oh BTW welcome.
    it makes me want to buy 16-50 for travel.