Hello from England...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by BigMackCam, Apr 4, 2018.

1. BigMackCam

BigMackCam TalkEmount Rookie Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2018
    North East of England
    Mike
    Hi everyone :)

My name is Mike, and I live in the North East of England. I've been into photography for maybe ten years or so, but only really serious about it for the last five or six of those. I'm fairly proficient technically, but need to improve my artistic side...

A large part of my hobby is collecting and - in some cases - servicing vintage Soviet SLR and rangefinder lenses. I've built up a pretty decent collection that includes most of the common and a number of less common (even quite rare) models, and I continue to add more examples as I find them.

I shoot a mix of Pentax and Sony equipment. Around 18 months ago I acquired a Sony A7 MkII plus battery grip, primarily for use with my vintage glass, and I find it to be excellent in this role. It also serves as a backup body for my A-mount system, using the LA-EA4 adapter. I don't own any native E-mount lenses.

I found out about this place from a post by one of the members at PentaxForums, where I'm a frequent contributor and moderator. I'm also a member at MFLenses, but not especially active there.

I'm looking forward to occasionally posting here and learning from you more-experienced Sony users. My thanks to the site owner for what looks like a very nice website and community :)

• Like Like x 7
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome aboard Mike!
    Looking forward to seeing your photography with Russian lenses. Nice to have an expert on them joining us here.
    Like you, I picked up an A7ii for my manual-focus lenses. I only have a small handful of Russian lenses. Mostly Japanese glass in my collection. Used to be a regular on MFLenses.com, but had to break away from there as it got me into the 'mess' I'm in now in the first place! :D

There is an inspiring group of talented photographers here that are friendly and helpful. I'm sure they'll raise your level of artistic creativity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigMackCam

Apr 4, 2018
    North East of England
    Mike
    Thank you for the kind welcome :)

Whilst I wouldn't consider myself an expert necessarily, I've certainly gained a useful amount of hard-earned knowledge and experience with a range of Soviet glass, and I'm always delighted to help others where I can. If I'd spent as much time on actual photography as I have on the lenses, I'd be a much better photographer! :p

I guess I should post at least one photo to get me started, and perhaps one with relevance to my lenses... so, here's a quick shot of my little and bestest pal "Boo Boo", a rescue cat I've had since September 2014. Taken with the A7II and what I personally think is a truly awful lens for photography, the Cyclop-M1 1.2/85. Well, it's certainly unique :blush:

DSC01129.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Hi Mike, and welcome to Talkemount!
    I just googled the lens you used for that photo. How long an extension tube do you have to use to mount it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    :Welcome:

In that case, I think you have demonstrated that you don't need high-end glass to take good photos. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome to the asylum, Mike! My only experience with old Russian lenses was an Industar 61 which was a favorite of mine on my old NEX-6. But I eventually fell for the lure of native glass, and passed it on. :rolleyes-20:

I'm also looking forward to seeing what you can come up with with that A7II.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Welcome Mike! Hope we can be of service.

Your picture certainly has a painterly quality to it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hi there

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigMackCam

Apr 4, 2018
    North East of England
    Mike
    Thanks for the nice welcome, folks - much appreciated :)

On Sony mirrorless cameras it works just fine with a regular M42-to-NEX adapter - the rear of the optical block doesn't protrude beyond the base, and I store mine on an adapter with a rear cap fitted. However, even though the flange focal distance seems about right for M42 SLR, it's not usable without extension tubes on DSLR or SLT cameras, as it would foul the mirror.

The minimum focus distance is dreadful... I can't remember exactly, but off the top of my head it's something like 10 - 15 metres. For that shot of my cat, I used an M42 extension tube to reduce the MFD accordingly.

It's a fixed f/1.2 aperture with no diaphragm, nothing but the centre is rendered acceptably sharp, and it really suffers with chromatic aberrations. Add in the poor MFD, and it's a challenging lens. You can press it into service artistically, I guess, but it's a bit too much work for me. The Helios-40 / 40-2 (or even the Cyclop 1.5/85) are much better choices IMHO. An interesting curio, though :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Welcome! I am not familiar with old Russian lenses or people or anything, really. So you can tell me practically anything about them with a straight face and get away with it. I look forward to hearing your stories and seeing your images.

• Like Like x 1
  11. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have. The community is very helpful and fun.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Greetings from Wales! Got a couple of Soviet lenses, jupiter8 50/2 and a Mir24m 35/2.

13. BigMackCam

Apr 4, 2018
    North East of England
    Mike
    Thank you for the additional warm welcomes :)

Both fine lenses! The Mir-24M 35/2 is one of my favourites. I need to service the focusing helicoid on mine as it's a little dry and stiff - not bad, but I ought to clean out the original Soviet "ear wax" lubricant and treat it to some Helimax-XP. It's on my ever-increasing "to do" list :blush:

14. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    The Mir is the main excuse I would have for going FF as I just don't use it enough on APS. Now you mention it, there does look like there's a bit of gunk on the aperture blades, don't have a helicoid adapter for it though I have an a m-mount one for the Jupiter8.

15. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Hi from Scotland ;)
    Welcome aboard :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    Hi Mike and welcome
    I also mix Pentax and Sony - my only Russian lens is a Jupiter 8 but I have a few manual focus K-mount lenses that I use on my Sony and my K1

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Whereabouts in NE England, Mike?
    Just back from a few days in Northumberland.
    A nice part of the country ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. BigMackCam

Apr 4, 2018
    North East of England
    Mike
    Hi Mike - I'm about 6 miles from the City of Durham.

Northumberland's a beautiful part of the country... I trust you enjoyed your break? I'm particularly fond of the area around Bamburgh and Beadnell. In fact, I'm considering spending a few days on Lindisfarne in late Spring / early Summer for some R&R (including photography, of course) :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    We tried to get onto the Beadnell site but was fully booked.
    Ended up at Dunstan Hill with great walks to Embleton, Dunstanburgh Castle and Craster.
    Most enjoyable

• Like Like x 1