Hello from a 5 year mirrorless shooter

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
I was VERY surprised that the simple act of turning ON Airplane Mode seemed to boost battery life by at least 30-40%. Since battery life is the main complaint for the A7 series, Sony should consider changing the default setting to "ON," even though I know it's like this to make transferring images to the mobile app easy. I was shooting recently and even after 10 minutes, the battery was still at 100%...

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
Interesting. I am going to have to re-experiment. Some time ago, I had tried airplane mode off and on but saw very little if any difference on my A7ii unless I actually used the wireless features.

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
Interesting. I am going to have to re-experiment. Some time ago, I had tried airplane mode off and on but saw very little if any difference on my A7ii unless I actually used the wireless features.
Ha, yes, based on what I had read, people felt that it was so insignificant that it wasn't even worth trying. I have 7 batteries for my three bodies, and the last wedding I shot for 12 hours with 5 batteries. Maybe 2100 images between the three cameras, so that's 420 images per battery. Not a scientific test, but anecdotally, better than the 270-300 that many are getting with stock settings. I also use standard res display and auto power off at 1 minute. I have a film background, so I don't chimp while shooting.

nidza

TalkEmount Regular
The battery life is not a deal breaker. It's similar to Fuji, not as good as Olympus, but I now have 7 batteries between the 3 bodies and 2 wall chargers, so I can charge during the reception. I didn't use all 7 during a 12 hour wedding, so I feel like I'm covered. I completely support the slightly larger bodies, though I'd love a small grip that doesn't need to be removed to swap batteries. The battery grip is a little too large for my taste...
Hello A7ii friend, what you need is nice leather halfgrip.

No-grip = too small
battery-grip = too huge
halfgrip = perfect!

:)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
Hello A7ii friend, what you need is nice leather halfgrip.

No-grip = too small
battery-grip = too huge
halfgrip = perfect!

:)

View attachment 85288
I was actually given a Sony full case with my A7II, which I had no use for, but I'm going to try it as a half-case. My only minor complaint is that the lower portion could fit more snugly around the camera grip, but it does make the camera about 5mm taller, which helps make it easier to hold. Sony Soft Carrying Case for Alpha a7 II, a7R II, & LCSELCB/B

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
hmm, I don't use my wireless features so I'll give turning on the airplane mode a try.

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
hmm, I don't use my wireless features so I'll give turning on the airplane mode a try.
It's worth trying. Unlike the easy Olympus app, I haven't been able to figure out the "PlayMemories" app to transfer images to my phone anyway, so the extra battery life is nice.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Welcome to the club! Some of us on here are multi-system shooters. Though I haven't fully dived into the Sony system and adapt my Nikon AF glass via the Commlite AF adapter. I still keep my DSLRs mainly for their strengths: dual card slots, excellent flash system and solid battery life. Though for my portrait work where none of that is an issue, I've switched entirely to Sony. The on-sensor phase detection is much more accurate in conjunction with the 5-axis IBIS increasing my keeper rate. I also use the Techart Pro adapter when I want to get a different look from modern DSLRs lenses, but still be able to shoot AF with my manual focus glass.

BTW - Do you still have your Olympus kit?

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
Welcome to the club! Some of us on here are multi-system shooters. Though I haven't fully dived into the Sony system and adapt my Nikon AF glass via the Commlite AF adapter. I still keep my DSLRs mainly for their strengths: dual card slots, excellent flash system and solid battery life. Though for my portrait work where none of that is an issue, I've switched entirely to Sony. The on-sensor phase detection is much more accurate in conjunction with the 5-axis IBIS increasing my keeper rate. I also use the Techart Pro adapter when I want to get a different look from modern DSLRs lenses, but still be able to shoot AF with my manual focus glass.

BTW - Do you still have your Olympus kit?
Thanks, Jonathan. I don't use flash for weddings (or at all, anymore, despite having a studio with 3 ProFoto 1200W lights about 12 years ago), and I have 7 batteries for weddings between my 3 Sony bodies, using only 5 at the most now that I have wifi shut off. I'm at an age where I can't imagine carrying 3 heavy DSLRs anymore. I've always used my 3 primes method to avoid lens changes, and it's served me well.

I LOVED the Olympus bodies, particularly the lenses. The IBIS is a couple stops better than Sony, but it's also moving a smaller sensor. The AF on the Olympus EM-1 (I never got the much faster Mk2) was still excellent, though CDAF is slightly prone toward focusing on the background rather than the people in the foreground based on contrast. No system is perfect. If the M43 system had the same dynamic range and high ISO performance as FF, I would have stayed with it. I will say that the difference at ISO6400 is actually much smaller than you'd expect. Really kind of amazing what they are squeezing out of those small bodies. I didn't consider Sony for a long time because all of the fast lenses were too large and heavy for my taste. Now my 35 f2.8, 55 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 are small enough and I am happy with their performance.

My wife has been shooting family portraits, pregnancy and birth photos, so she inherited my Oly system and loves it. The 35mm, 50mm and 90mm equivalents are TINY, but VERY sharp and have smooth bokeh, despite the extra 2 stops of DOF that you get with M43. For fast lenses, this can be an advantage. For example, if you are shooting with f1.2 lenses AND you have IBIS, you get to keep the ISO lower and/or you get a faster shutter speed compared to the F1.8 and f2.8 lenses I'm using now. You also get the light gathering of an f1.2 lens, but the DOF of an f2.4 lens, which can be nice if you have two sets of eyes in the same photo that aren't exactly on the same focal plane...

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks, Jonathan. I don't use flash for weddings (or at all, anymore, despite having a studio with 3 ProFoto 1200W lights about 12 years ago), and I have 7 batteries for weddings between my 3 Sony bodies, using only 5 at the most now that I have wifi shut off. I'm at an age where I can't imagine carrying 3 heavy DSLRs anymore. I've always used my 3 primes method to avoid lens changes, and it's served me well.

I LOVED the Olympus bodies, particularly the lenses. The IBIS is a couple stops better than Sony, but it's also moving a smaller sensor. The AF on the Olympus EM-1 (I never got the much faster Mk2) was still excellent, though CDAF is slightly prone toward focusing on the background rather than the people in the foreground based on contrast. No system is perfect. If the M43 system had the same dynamic range and high ISO performance as FF, I would have stayed with it. I will say that the difference at ISO6400 is actually much smaller than you'd expect. Really kind of amazing what they are squeezing out of those small bodies. I didn't consider Sony for a long time because all of the fast lenses were too large and heavy for my taste. Now my 35 f2.8, 55 f1.8 and 85 f1.8 are small enough and I am happy with their performance.

My wife has been shooting family portraits, pregnancy and birth photos, so she inherited my Oly system and loves it. The 35mm, 50mm and 90mm equivalents are TINY, but VERY sharp and have smooth bokeh, despite the extra 2 stops of DOF that you get with M43. For fast lenses, this can be an advantage. For example, if you are shooting with f1.2 lenses AND you have IBIS, you get to keep the ISO lower and/or you get a faster shutter speed compared to the F1.8 and f2.8 lenses I'm using now. You also get the light gathering of an f1.2 lens, but the DOF of an f2.4 lens, which can be nice if you have two sets of eyes in the same photo that aren't exactly on the same focal plane...
I've noticed the same differences between Sony and and Olympus M43. The Sony A9 is pretty much everything I want in an A7 II replacement, except the price! I bought my A7 II bodies used and for what I bought them for, I can buy 4 if not 5 A7 II cameras for the price of an A9! I'm tempted in picking up a fire sale A7R II, but I much prefer 24mp for the smaller, but still excellent sized files.

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
I've noticed the same differences between Sony and and Olympus M43. The Sony A9 is pretty much everything I want in an A7 II replacement, except the price! I bought my A7 II bodies used and for what I bought them for, I can buy 4 if not 5 A7 II cameras for the price of an A9! I'm tempted in picking up a fire sale A7R II, but I much prefer 24mp for the smaller, but still excellent sized files.
My thoughts exactly. I know the A9 and A7RIII are/will be amazing, but I don't need anything more than a 24MP file at the moment. I've seen A7RII bodies like new for $1999 locally with a 6 month warranty, but if I have one of them, I suddenly have twice the storage needed for those files. A used A9 down the road would make more sense for me, keeping the 24MP file...

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
My thoughts exactly. I know the A9 and A7RIII are/will be amazing, but I don't need anything more than a 24MP file at the moment. I've seen A7RII bodies like new for $1999 locally with a 6 month warranty, but if I have one of them, I suddenly have twice the storage needed for those files. A used A9 down the road would make more sense for me, keeping the 24MP file...
I got kind of spoiled when I picked up a minty A7 II for this price: Amazon Warehouse Deals on the Sony A7 II! :D

I think most event shooters I know like shooting in the 20-24mp file range. I wish the A7R II had a small/medium RAW option, it would make it a much more viable option for those who shoot large amounts of content. Though this kind of goes back to Sony not being as generous in regards to firmware updates like Fuji! ;)

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
WOW. I thought I got a killer deal at $999 with 6 month warranty... I get the Amazon.com spams, so I should probably start paying attention to them. Was that a deal you found out about from sonyalpharumors?

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
And yes, I agree about a smaller option with the A7RII. I know the APS-C crop will give you an 18-19MP file, but then you have to deal with the change in lens equivalence...

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
WOW. I thought I got a killer deal at $999 with 6 month warranty... I get the Amazon.com spams, so I should probably start paying attention to them. Was that a deal you found out about from sonyalpharumors?
I was looking for another A7 II body so I usually just cruise Amazon and a couple of other camera store websites I trust. One Saturday night I came home after having a couple of drinks and you know, just for the heck of it I decided to check Amazon Warehouse to see if there were any used A7 II bodies, and then I saw one listed for $771 in 'Very Good' condition and without even thinking, I put the camera in the cart and ordered it! When it arrived it was repackaged and didn't come with the original box, but all accessories were accounted for. The camera had just above 400 plus clicks on it as well! :D

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
The problem with a smaller RAW file would be that either the image would be from only a portion of the sensor (ala APS-C mode), or it wouldn't actually be RAW since something would have to be interpolated for the reduced resolution.

G

guybe

Hello Hamsong, fantastic photos of the wedding both in colours and B/W, really impressive work, do you shoot prime lens rather than zoom lens at weddings?

Hamsong

TalkEmount Regular
Hello Hamsong, fantastic photos of the wedding both in colours and B/W, really impressive work, do you shoot prime lens rather than zoom lens at weddings?
Thanks. Yes, primes only since my Leica film days. I prefer the faster apertures for greater control over DOF, lower ISOs, and most importantly to me, the ability to previsualize exactly what will be in the frame before the camera is at my eye.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom