Hello all!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by RalllyFan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Well, I've been hanging around here for about 3 months now, so I figured it was about time to say hello. As a little background, I've been a photography hobbyist for about 25 years now, shooting with a Nikon FM2n film camera for the majority of that, till I switched over to a Nikon D200 around 6 years ago. I've never considered myself to be a stellar photographer, I just enjoy taking the time to immerse myself into a location and taking some photos that help me remember that time, place and feeling. The last year or so, I found myself becoming more reluctant to carry a dSLR everywhere. No matter how good the neck strap is, my neck just kept getting more and more tired. I read lots of reviews, including several here, and finally sprung for a NEX-5n when they went on clearance back in late September. I was skeptical at first, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying photography again!

As far as the camera goes, there are enough intelligent reviews on this site, so you don't really need my two cents there. I will say that the 2 things I really miss are a viewfinder and the ease of operation a SLR provides. I can live with them, but I do admit to gazing at the NEX-6, NEX-7, and...gasp...the Fuji XE-1. However, I'm going to be good and stick with this for a while. I have the feeling that a full frame mirrorless is on the horizon, and I want in.

When I got the camera, I also bought the Sigma 19mm. I've always enjoyed shooting 28mm with film, so this was a natural choice. The kit lens remains in the box, I'm ridding myself of zooms for a while. Other than the Sigma, which I enjoy, I shoot several legacy lenses (I think more than a few of you share this joy!). I feel that, for me anyway, choosing a lens is a personal choice. I tend to avoid reviews as there always seems to be good ones and bad ones which confuse the matter, and I'm not much into all the technical aspects of how sharp a particular lens 3/4 of the way from the center at 'x' aperture. Just give me something that makes the photo feel right to me, and I'm thrilled. Moving on, here's a few test shots with my various glass. Hope you enjoy!

Sigma 19mm
    As stated, I like the 28mm (in 35mm terms) focal length, so this lens fits the bill for now, and by that I mean that as previously stated, I'm hoping for a full frame mirrorless, so this lens will forever live on the 5n should one come out. In all, I think it's a great lens for the money. To me, it's a little fiddly when trying to manual focus, but it's workable. A few samples:

Was hoping for a nice sunrise this day, but the weather had other ideas:

I did get the sunset I was after on this day, however:

Nikon 28mm AIS
    I've had this lens for quite sometime (have I mentioned that I like the 28mm focal length?). I loved it with my film camera, and on the NEX it gives me...well...most of the feel I want. Maybe it's the oddball 42mm equivalent focal length? I don't know, but I still really enjoy it:

This is from a shipbuilding museum, and I'd love to know some of the stories these tools could tell:

And, I'd love to know the stories this chair could tell:

Voigtlander 35mm 2.5 'Color Skopar'
    I would really love a modern Leica lens, but this is as close as I'm going to get. And I'm fine with that, because I really like this lens as it really gives me the feeling I like. I've only had it a couple of weeks, but it's grown on me to the point that I hate to take it off the camera! And as a bonus, it's tiny and light and the build quality is excellent!

I like the solitude of this, and after taking the photo I sat there for a while, listening to the music of the waves:
    untitled-6 (1).jpg

More below, as I can only attach 5 pics in a post...
  2. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Hello, continued

Additional Voigtlander 35mm pics:

Love the lighting and detail. I walk by this so often during the day, but to see it lit up at night is to fully appreciate it:

My cat, and a bit of the 'feeling' that this lens gives me:

Leica 90mm F4 Elmar
    This lovely beast was made in 1956. When I picked up the Voigtlander, it was looking so lonely in the case that I just had to (impulsively) take it home to its new friends. It's built like a tank, but not really as heavy as it seems. And it's a bit finicky to use but I'm getting the hang of it. I have to say, it's positively charming and I wish 90mm was a focal length I used more often. Always wanting to know more about somethings history, I would love to know what kind of photos this had taken over the last 56 years, and I hope I can in some way match that history. With the weather here in New England turning to winter, there's not much color or excitement to be had currently, so I haven't really stretched this ones legs yet.

Doors are another weakness of mine, especially one like this:

I had to fight off some grosbeaks for this:

So that's my collection for now. I do plan on adding a wider angle lens, most likely the CV15 as I'll want something I can also use full frame (rules out the Sony 16mm). I'd also like something in the 21-25mm range, a 50mm, and probably a macro of some type, but all good things in time.

Hope this wasn't too long. And if you made it to the end, well than thanks for stopping by!
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Welcome...I came to the NEX because I really love going the manual focus route (as do a number of us here). Welcome and I look forward to seeing your photos and having you here as part of the community.

Love the cat!
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Welcome to the forum. :)
  5. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Welcome friend, very nice photos.
  6. garethwi

garethwi TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    Gorgeous photos.
  7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Welcome, nice shots! Glad to see another 28 (40)mm fan!
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome

I quite like your image as well as the hues and tones of the sunset, what a great capture. If you you really do miss the feeling of a viewfinder, you can always get the viewfinder accessory for the 5n.
  9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Welcome, nice shots!!!
  11. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Welcome, good stuff so far !
  12. christilou