1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hello all NEX fans!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Tord, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Tord

Tord New to TalkEmount

Nov 7, 2011
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I am new here, but not to Serious Compacts, nor to digital cameras as a whole!

Been a photo-enthusiast since early teens (first SLR was a Mamiya and an Edixa thread mount), but changed from SLRs to compacts in the 80's: First were two Minox 35 full-format compacts, then, when those died of overuse, a few Konica Big Minis. But then I converted to digitals, via the excellent Konica KD-500 (and a few other compacts, like the Olympus C-8080 - excellent when used with a flash, rotten taking RAW, or shooting against the sun). The KD-500 has excellent colours, even to this day, if having lost a few pixels along the way. On New Years Eve, 2000, I switched to DSLRs, buying a K-X, for my forthcoming trip to Thailand, and my witfe's son's marriage there (He prefers the wamrth of Thailand to the cool of Sweden - wise guy!).

My wife later that year bought an Olympus E-PL1, with a few lenses (including the superb Panasonic 20), and I bought a K-7, and eventually a K-5. The latter was the first DSLR that impressed my wife (being used to Leicas and Hasselblads) so much that she had her own within the end of that week! But then I returned to compacts, an Olympus XZ-1 for stills in low light (otherwise pretty much like my old KD-500, if higher resolution), and a Sony HX9V for video (both pretty superb in their own ways, but giving not much manual control of video). So then the NEX-5N arrived and that I'll use manually with Pentax lenses, and automatic, for video! The wife got very impressed, so she has her own already - the NEX-7 is cancelled in Europe for the next year, or so, so that first choice option is not available here!

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi Tord

Welcome aboard mate! such an extensive experience you have with photgraphy, I've always wanted to own a Mamiya medium during the days when I still shot on film but I could only afford a Nikon back then (actually even now) with Minolta glass. I have to say though I prefer the colder weather :D

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Welcome to TalkNEX, Tord! I wish my wife shared my appreciation of photography (and cameras :)) .

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Hello and welcome Tord.

5. Tord

Tord New to TalkEmount

Nov 7, 2011
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Mamiya was a normal FF SLR (about as advanced as an early screw-mount Pentax, but better than the Edixa Reflex), nothing fancy at all! But I have had some experience with Hasselblads and Sinars, plus some Lieca - my wife has had more experience than me with Hasselblads and Leicas (her first husband (R.I.P.) had his own photo studio for many years!). I guess I am most experienced in using photo editing software - as I did that full-time for a few years - so a number of programs have indeed passed before me - presently I am using dedicated Mac software, like iPhoto & Aperature, but also dabble with software also available for Windows: Phocus (free photoediting software from Hasselblad) & GIMP (also totally free), Neat, and a handful of Adobe stuff.