1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Heliar 50/2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Fergus, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Hello all... I did a search and couldn't find anything with the Heliar 50? This is mine (the non-collapsible version) on an NEX-5R.

Fergus.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    December 2006 Popular Photography page 59. Bert Keppler talked about various lens designs and mentioned the 50mm/2 Heliar high quality. He said informally that it tested as well as the 50mm Summicron. In my experience with both lenses, I prefer the Heliar to the Summicron. I know that is subjective and I do not mean to speak poorly of the wonderful Summicron. But when I used both lenses on the same subject in order to compare them, I always obtained only two results. Either I could not tell which lens made which image, or I preferred the image from the Heliar.

I do not know why this lens is so seldom mentioned and I know of no published full tests of the Heliar 50 f/2.0. I know that it is a classic Heliar design (5 elements, 3 groups) and that the f/2.0 aperture required a very special glass because classic Heliar normally maxes out at f/3.5.

Fergus - you captured that light beautiful light magnificently. Great image! Thanks for sharing

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks Bert (we might have a similar profession given your screenname here!)

I like it so much I have bought both the collapsible and non-collapsible versions, and my next lens will be the 75mm f/1.8 version. They have a very kind way of taking 'soft/gentle' photos and yet they are sharp.

Cheers...
    Fergus

4. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    From the same trip.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    From my favourite island in the world (even more than Tahiti!)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    #1 and #3 are nice photos!

7. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks Nick!

I have a very low 'hit rate' but when they work the effort is worthwhile.

Cheers...
    Fergus

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016