Showcase Heliar 50/2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Fergus, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Hello all... I did a search and couldn't find anything with the Heliar 50? This is mine (the non-collapsible version) on an NEX-5R.

Fergus.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    December 2006 Popular Photography page 59. Bert Keppler talked about various lens designs and mentioned the 50mm/2 Heliar high quality. He said informally that it tested as well as the 50mm Summicron. In my experience with both lenses, I prefer the Heliar to the Summicron. I know that is subjective and I do not mean to speak poorly of the wonderful Summicron. But when I used both lenses on the same subject in order to compare them, I always obtained only two results. Either I could not tell which lens made which image, or I preferred the image from the Heliar.

I do not know why this lens is so seldom mentioned and I know of no published full tests of the Heliar 50 f/2.0. I know that it is a classic Heliar design (5 elements, 3 groups) and that the f/2.0 aperture required a very special glass because classic Heliar normally maxes out at f/3.5.

Fergus - you captured that light beautiful light magnificently. Great image! Thanks for sharing

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks Bert (we might have a similar profession given your screenname here!)

I like it so much I have bought both the collapsible and non-collapsible versions, and my next lens will be the 75mm f/1.8 version. They have a very kind way of taking 'soft/gentle' photos and yet they are sharp.

Cheers...
    Fergus

4. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    From the same trip.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    From my favourite island in the world (even more than Tahiti!)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    #1 and #3 are nice photos!

7. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks Nick!

I have a very low 'hit rate' but when they work the effort is worthwhile.

Cheers...
    Fergus

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.