Heaven's Above !

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by markoneswift, Feb 26, 2014.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 10
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lovely

3. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    How do you get such wonderful shots of the stars? All I see is black in my lens. Your shots are beautiful!
    I am a newbie to all of this, so I don't know how to go about this.

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    LOOOONG exposure...

This one is 30 seconds on the 16mmf2.8 ISO1600 (my favourite shot of 2013 I took - have it on canvas in my lounge :))
    DSC07433_zps0ffea710.

Get a heavy tripod (good ones have a hook you can hang a weight from to help keep it sturdy). And use a remote so you don't jog the camera triggering it. Other than that - just play!

This one I got a shooting star (Persoids Meteor Shower in August) but I prefer the colours of the one above;
    DSC07416_zps8cd7822d.

• Like Like x 8
  5. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Well, it's a combination of things. Firstly, I use a long exposure of around 30 seconds. I set the ISO quite low, around 400 / 800 to avoid noise and I set a wide aperture - my Samyang fisheye is still pretty sharp at f/2.8 so I use it wide open. I set a 10 second self timed shot to avoid camera shake and mount the camera on a tripod ( or as for these shots, on the roof of the car, pointing straight up ). I processed the RAW files in Photoshop for some sharpness and exposure adjustments but nothing too fancy as I don't really know my way around Photoshop that well.

Thanks for taking the time to view and comment, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  6. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    and another tip for getting the focus as accurate as possible - pick the brightest star in the sky and adjust focus so it's a pin sharp dot rather than a blob - that should ensure everything else is sharp in the star field. And don't shoot stars when the moon is in the sky - its reflected light just kills the shot.

7. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Awesome shots of the stars! One of these days I must try this.

8. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Very nice shots. Thanks also for sharing your techique.

9. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Thanks so much! I shall play this summer when I'm up in northern MN with no lights anywhere ;)