HDR? We don't need no stinkin HDR!

fractal

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Recently I went back and reedited some photos I took last year, mostly to adjust WB. This process however always seems to end up being much more, at least for me.

Here is a photo of Les Chefs de France restaurant in Epcot after the my original edit. It was taken around 9am in bright sunlight which produced plenty of shadows. I pushed the shadow slider in LR to drawn them out but you can see by looking at the front door area and into the windows that they were still dark.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In my recent edit, I used the adjustment brush in LR to increase the exposure and pull shadows more in those dark areas (full disclosure - I also reduced the vignetting I used in the first edit but don't think that had too much effect in the dark areas, especially around the front door). I also adjusted the color of the sky and fixed some distortion issues. The photo was shot with the A7r2 + Batis 18mm 2.8.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was always impressed with the ability of my NEX-7 sensor to pull shadows, but the A7r2 sensor is truly amazing in this regard. I can't remember the last time I regretted not shooting something bracketed. My HDR software has not gotten much love lately. This method also seems to give you a more "realist" look than HDR software were I have to temper my temptation to push sliders to their limits. :rolleyes-20:

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Excellent results. Original shot was very good, but one can really tell the differences side by side.

mstphoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Stephen
Totally agree!!
Its said that if you can't detect that its been HDR'd, then its been done properly.
One of my pet hates is over-processed HDR'd skies (the other is blown clouds and skies ;) )

RIP HDR :D

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
I put HDR in the same category as sub woofers in audio gear. I do not like the results when they are overdone, but there is a very good reason for their existence. When used properly, they overcome the physical limitations of our equipment at some extremes, providing a result more natural to our senses.

Ted's example is illustrative.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I put HDR in the same category as sub woofers in audio gear. I do not like the results when they are overdone, but there is a very good reason for their existence. When used properly, they overcome the physical limitations of our equipment at some extremes, providing a result more natural to our senses.

Ted's example is illustrative.
Nice analogy, Bert!

Unfortunately, there are still some photographers I see on flickr and elsewhere, still apply excessive amounts like hot peppers at a Chili cookout competition.
The end results... the likes of seeing a big wing spoiler bolted to the trunk of a family sedan. :rolleyes:
Add in those subwoofers you mentioned and it truly completes the experience of one pulling up next to you! :eek:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom