1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Haze

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Jul 17, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The Dog Days have arrived early this year. After a very brief respite, the heat, haze and humidity have returned with a vengeance. It was so hazy at 6:30 this morning, the air looked like watery milk. Not exactly conducive to good photography, but I did snap a couple with the Vivitar 35/2.8 and a 4-stop graduated ND filter. The first shows a ramp full of C130s. The Boy Scouts have recently opened their giant 10,000+ acre National Scout Reserve less than an hour from here, and 40,000 or so scouts are having their National Jamboree right now. Local air traffic has increased substantially, and with the military providing logistical support, they've shuttled in some extra cargo craft. In the second photo I was just playing with clouds.

Tony

Attached Files:

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting shots. We only get skies like that here in the winter. They can get summer fog on the coast side of the mountains, but not here on the dry side.

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Although we get winter fog, summer and early autumn are our worst months. This time of the year, it is not unusual to have pea soup fog until late in the morning. The photos above are pretty mild, fog-wise. Wish I could say that for the haze and humidity. At least we didn't have a temperature inversion. When that happens, the whole metro area is suffocated by a thick brew from the city and surrounding industrial facilities. Nasty stuff. :(

Tony