• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Have you seen the expectations for an A6900?

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Looks like the Sony Rumor Mill is at it again :yahoo: Tony Northrup expects that it will be a Mini A1 or is that a Mini A9:cautious:
Anyway, if the camera has the specs that Tony says it might, I think that I will sell my A6400 plus a couple of legacy lenses which I have not been using and invest the proceeds into the new Mini A1/A9...

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Here's the thing.

Now some of us APS-C owners prefer the APS-C sensor and size for a variety of reasons and the cost is not an issue. But for many of us, we own an APS-C because of the cost and not wanting to spend the premium for Full Frame.

I will be interested to see if more "premium" APS-C bodies will sell.

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
There is a market for APS-C premium sports/action cameras. I mean, over half of the wildlife pics I take with my A7R4 are in crop mode. If I only had the camera for sports/wildlife, it might be worthwhile to buy an APSC sports camera instead, assuming it's in the mid-$2000 price range.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I usually take things with a grain of salt coming from Tony Northrup. He's too much into clickbait these days. :p
If Sony decides there is a market for such a body, we'll know when it hits the streets. But given the post-COVID impact to the world economy, it seems odd. A firmware update to the a6600 I surmise would improve its wildlife potential. CapEx for a new exclusive, stacked BSI-APS-C sensor is nothing insignificant. The price of the A1 can justify it, but a limited sales potential of a $2,000 APS-C body....wouldn't make sense. Sony has kept their BSI sensors to themselves.
Just my $0.02, of course.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I always used my Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6: IS ii lens on a crop frame body (7D Mark-ii) so having a Sony body with top-line autofocus potential would be great... Not that the AF of the A6400 or A6600 is all that bad...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I don't know if it applies to camera sensors, but some similar electronics are made in big sheets that are cut into pieces. So maybe they could cut APS-C size sensors from the BSI sensor "sheets" they already produce (assuming that is how it works), which might significantly reduce CapEx.

Yeah that is a really huge guess, I am sort of thinking out loud. On the internet. Wait, this cannot be good. **sneaking out the rear exit of the building**

Reactions: WNG

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Given that they have had the same sensor in APS-C since 2014, I think *Sony* can afford to update it. And I believe the a6000 is still their best selling camera.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
IMO - what has really increased the value and usefulness of the Sony line of mirrorless cameras for my use is the third party lens selection allowed by the Sony open sourcing policy. I tried to find a Sony mid-range zoom lens with a constant f/2.8 aperture that was smaller and less expensive than the 24-70mm G-Master but, could not find one in the Sony inventory... However, both Sigma and Tamron have come out with very competitive mid-range zoom lenses with constant f/2.8 apertures. I absolutely LOVE the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 on BOTH APSC and Full-Frame Sony mirrorless bodies and the Tamron 17-70mm f/2.8 is reported to be a great lens, albeit only for APSC format...

Last edited:

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
A firmware update to the a6600 I surmise would improve its wildlife potential.
Sure it could. But that's not the Sony way. They would rather introduce an entirely new camera requiring an upgrade.

I used to have a Sony APS-C kit in addition to a full-frame kit. When the A6600 came out, it was essentially the same camera as its predecessor with the addition of a firmware update for autofocus and a higher-capacity battery. And it cost $1,400.

I thought it was a pretty cynical offering. Instead of upgrading, I sold off my entire Sony APS-C kit and never looked back.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Did you go for the a7c and if you did how do you find it.
I haven't purchased anything yet. I have decided to wait until the A7IV comes out to see what that camera is about. If I go for that I may augment it with the A7c. If I don't like the A7IV, I may see what I can do about selling off more gear to afford, say, an A9II.

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
I haven't purchased anything yet. I have decided to wait until the A7IV comes out to see what that camera is about. If I go for that I may augment it with the A7c. If I don't like the A7IV, I may see what I can do about selling off more gear to afford, say, an A9II.
It look like its getting a bit crowded on the fence at the moment, I am also interested to see what Sony have in store for us.

I don’t require more photographic detail to high light my incompetence, I would just like a more pleasant user experience. The nex7 is what drew me to Sony in the first place, and I enjoyed using it but it was dropped as a range. I can’t see why we have a full time mode dial we only use occasionally but not exposure compensation.

Let’s hope for the best.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I can’t see why we have a full time mode dial we only use occasionally
I know some clever (more than me) people like to be M a lot, but don't others regularly change between A and S?

I'd like a dial for focus mode. Well, if I'd thought more about how I might be happier with the more old-fashioned controls, I might have bought Fuji. But I didn't: so here I am!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I know some clever (more than me) people like to be M a lot, but don't others regularly change between A and S?

I'd like a dial for focus mode. Well, if I'd thought more about how I might be happier with the more old-fashioned controls, I might have bought Fuji. But I didn't: so here I am!

I am not sure it is clever or not, but I almost exclusively use [M]anual mode. And nearly all manual focus and aperture lenses. On one of the most advanced cameras in the world, lol. Old habits, old dog, etc. And I do rely very much on the WYSIWIG of a mirrorless camera. I really should probably get with the times. In the meantime, get off my lawn!

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I am seeing conflicting rumors about the "new" APSC body. The first and most interesting rumor has the new camera as a "Mini-A9" or as a "Baby-A1". The second rumor has this camera being a "vlogging" camera.
I hope that the first rumor is correct. Sure many "YouTubers" worry about vlogging but, I suspect that very few people actually use their cameras for vlogging.
OTOH... I strongly suspect that there are far more photographers who shoot wildlife as well as sports and other fast action...
If the new camera will be an actual "Baby-A1" in APSC format, I may go entirely to APSC and sell my A7iii as well as sell my A6400. I would probably keep the A6600 and the new camera and also switch the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron to the 17-70mm f/2.8 Tamron APSC and also switch the 14mm f/2.8 AF Samyang to the 12mm f/2.0 Samyang... I loved the quality of the MF 12mm f/2.0 lens but, may think about getting the AF version of that lens if the IQ is as good as the MF version.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
The Sony Alpha Rumours site is more like vacuous guesswork and wishful thinking, along with heated controversy about the eventual model number.

No, I'm not giving up on it as a source of eventual information. After all, it will be there when there is some. But it is a dead loss at the moment.

Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings. (yes, that is a quote from a song)

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I am not sure it is clever or not, but I almost exclusively use [M]anual mode. And nearly all manual focus and aperture lenses. On one of the most advanced cameras in the world, lol. Old habits, old dog, etc. And I do rely very much on the WYSIWIG of a mirrorless camera. I really should probably get with the times. In the meantime, get off my lawn!
I love manual focusing but it is wonderful to have an AF system that I can trust

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
There was a long break in my "real-camera" photography: long enough for me to go off manual focussing. But I can see its uses, and I do find it easier with the mirrorless viewfinder. Especially with focus magnification.

Come to think of it, on those occasions when the camera insists on focusing on the wrong thing/person, it might be quicker to manually focus than to to go through the touch screen thing or focus spot rigmarole. Which is sort of like manual autofocus!

Latest posts

Top Bottom