Have you got the Alpha logo and the buzzing sound...

neodraig

TalkEmount Rookie
...when you turn off your NEX-5N?

Since the last firmware update, an Alpha logo is displayed when you turn off the NEX-5, but that's not the case with the 5N.

I may have seen the alpha logo at the start up the first time I turned on the camera. Since then I have never seen the alpha logo on the screen of my 5N, is it normal?

Another thing is when I turn on or off my NEX-5, I can hear a buzzing sound (the sensor cleaning system I think). My 5N doesn't produce that sound, is it the same for yours?

I tried to run the cleaning mode manually but I couldn't hear a thing. On my "old" NEX-5, I can hear the buzzing sound when I do that.

Is it because the cleaning system is now ultrasonic on the 5N that I can't hear anything?

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
The NEX-5N has a new firmware, so it wouldn't be any surprise if they dropped the Alpha logo - or at least just forgot to add it.

As far as the sound is concerned, the NEX-5 relies on a dated sensor shake system, which also is used in the NEX-3/C3. The NEX-5N uses a new system which is way more effective. That it's silent is just a side effect.

So don't worry - just go out shooting and have fun! :)

Btw. one question: Have you sold your NEX-5? I love the new features on the 5N, but I just can't justify spending 600 again after just one year ... I'll probably wait for the next generation or just grab the NEX-7 as "real" upgrade.

neodraig

TalkEmount Rookie
Thanks for the reply.
It just seemed weird that they added the alpha logo in the last firmware update but didn't add it to the 5N.

Yeah I sold my NEX-5 with the 16-55 and I kept the 16mm. So the NEX-5N cost me 60€ and a lens. I was never using the 18-55, most of the time I use my Nokton 35mm 1.4 wich give me great results and fits better the tiny NEX than the zoom kit.

What made me upgrade was:
- the better sensor
- better handling of ISOs with a wider range for auto-ISO (100-3200)
- faster shutter delay (and quieter)
- better handling of corners for rangefinder lenses
- when using manual lenses, pressing a part of the screen will enlarge that part to focus precisely.

So yes I'm glad to have upgraded, the 5N has a lot of small improvements over the NEX-5, but as a whole it makes a big improvement (for me).
The only thing I miss is the Alpha logo and the buzzing sound when I turn off the camera :p