Have you got the Alpha logo and the buzzing sound...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by neodraig, Sep 19, 2011.

1. neodraig

neodraig TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    ...when you turn off your NEX-5N?

Since the last firmware update, an Alpha logo is displayed when you turn off the NEX-5, but that's not the case with the 5N.

I may have seen the alpha logo at the start up the first time I turned on the camera. Since then I have never seen the alpha logo on the screen of my 5N, is it normal?

Another thing is when I turn on or off my NEX-5, I can hear a buzzing sound (the sensor cleaning system I think). My 5N doesn't produce that sound, is it the same for yours?

I tried to run the cleaning mode manually but I couldn't hear a thing. On my "old" NEX-5, I can hear the buzzing sound when I do that.

Is it because the cleaning system is now ultrasonic on the 5N that I can't hear anything?
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    The NEX-5N has a new firmware, so it wouldn't be any surprise if they dropped the Alpha logo - or at least just forgot to add it.

As far as the sound is concerned, the NEX-5 relies on a dated sensor shake system, which also is used in the NEX-3/C3. The NEX-5N uses a new system which is way more effective. That it's silent is just a side effect.

So don't worry - just go out shooting and have fun! :)

Btw. one question: Have you sold your NEX-5? I love the new features on the 5N, but I just can't justify spending 600 again after just one year ... I'll probably wait for the next generation or just grab the NEX-7 as "real" upgrade.
  3. neodraig

neodraig TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.
    It just seemed weird that they added the alpha logo in the last firmware update but didn't add it to the 5N.

Yeah I sold my NEX-5 with the 16-55 and I kept the 16mm. So the NEX-5N cost me 60€ and a lens. I was never using the 18-55, most of the time I use my Nokton 35mm 1.4 wich give me great results and fits better the tiny NEX than the zoom kit.

What made me upgrade was:
    - the better sensor
    - better handling of ISOs with a wider range for auto-ISO (100-3200)
    - faster shutter delay (and quieter)
    - better handling of corners for rangefinder lenses
    - when using manual lenses, pressing a part of the screen will enlarge that part to focus precisely.

So yes I'm glad to have upgraded, the 5N has a lot of small improvements over the NEX-5, but as a whole it makes a big improvement (for me).
    The only thing I miss is the Alpha logo and the buzzing sound when I turn off the camera :p