• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Have you bought the new Sony 12-24 GM ?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Have you bought the new Sony 12-24 GM ?
Anyone ?

Are you willing to send me 12 shots with this lens coupled to a A7III ?
I would like to see them on my Mac...

Thanks ! :)

I haven't bought it nor will I do so in the foreseeable future, but you can download raw and jpeg samples from two sets of samples on dpreview. They used an A7Rm4 and A7Rm3 for their samples but you can downsize them to 24 MP if you want to get a feel for what the lens does on an A7m3. I just guess that sharpness will be excellent and you don't need to resize for judging color and contrast.
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-gal...y-12-24mm-f2-8-gm-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv/
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/4240971080/sony-12-24mm-f2-8-gm/

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
One reason I originally came to Sony was to get rid of my huge Sigma 12-24 (Canon) and pick up the (relatively) light and tiny Sony 12-24 F4. I believe the main advantage of the new lens is to get F2.8, but for my shooting style, that is no advantage at all (I almost never want shallower depth of field or need more light when shooting UWA).

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Part of the appeal for the 12-24 f/2.8 is the speed for astrophotography. The inconvenience of the bulbous front element hindering filters, is something tolerated.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
After thinking about this lens time and time again and then deciding to buy it and having it not available in my local stores, I kept checking to see if they'd get one in, and finally one day last week I decided that OK, that was enough waiting, and I ordered one from B&H. I LOVE it!!! This lens is nudging me into trying different kinds of shots from my usual, and is fun to handle and to use. The thing is a technological marvel, so I can see why it is so expensive. I am amazed at how little distortion it shows, even when shooting at 12mm. I'm still exploring things to shoot and ways of shooting, as it's been a really long time since I've had and used an ultrawide/wide angle lens.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
A screw CPL filter is always fixed to my UWAs and I'm happy to pay the price of a slower lens for this.
This! A polarizer is needed for ultra wide work to knock down reflections in water, plus ND's and grad ND's are awesome for landscapes and waterfalls. Long before I got into Sony I bought into the Olympus M/43 system in 2012 and they have a beautiful sharp 7-14 f2.8 Pro zoom lens (14-28 ff equivalent) that does not have filter threads either. I bought a Haida 100mm slide-in system with a special press on donut connector with mounting ring, the filter holder, a couple of graduated ND's, 3 and 10 stop ND, a polarizer and adapter rings so it could mount onto other Olympus lenses. Total cost was a little over $650 and that was for a 100mm filters system. Nisi makes a 150mm slide in filter system for the Sony 12-24GM and just for the holder and CPL is it $520 USD, the added filters are about $100 each and up so you could be near $1,000 for a complete kit. Plus a 150mm filter system is HUGE, half again as wide as the 100mm system I have, which is not small itself. Many time I left the 7-14 with filter system at home as it takes up a lot of space and I end up buying a Laowa 7.5mm f2 MF lens (15mm FF) that took standard 46mm filters.

For this reason when I got into Sony 2-1/2 years ago, I decided to get MF ultra wide angle prime lenses instead of a zoom needing a custom filter holder. I have the Voigtlander 21mm f3.5 and 15mm f4.5 lenses and they take standard screw on filters at 52mm and 58mm, which means that are small sized lenses, and makes using and carrying them so easy. They have more than met my needs for landscapes, but my 15mm is my least used lens by far. Other companies like Loawa have even wider lenses like a 9mm f2.8 that also take standard filters. Recently added the Sony 20mm f1.8, which takes 67mm filters, as I like the 20-21mm range a lot more than I like a wider perspective and I wanted a faster lens for astrophotography. Anyway my 2 Voigts and the Sony 20G combined are way less than the $3,000 Sony wants for the 12-24 f2.8GM and they all take standard filters and fit in my everyday bag.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
The whole filter issue is something about which I was aware going into this thing and eventually I will definitely need to do something, but at least right now I can manage without, as I don't do that extensive shooting in wideangle/ultrawide angle and landscapes, etc. (Yet!) I am having fun right now with my new lens and seeing what is and what is not possible, and also refreshing my memory significantly when it comes to shooting with wide angle/ultrawide angle since it has been a long time since I've done that. I definitely need to improve ,y technique, that I am already seeing!

Latest posts

Top Bottom