Have there been any truly useful NEX apps?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ajm80031, Sep 15, 2014.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I looked into camera apps briefly when I first purchased my NEX-6, but was underwhelmed. It seemed the apps either did things that were better done in post-processing, or were poorly implemented (e.g. remote shutter release from a phone but with very limited options). Did anything truly useful ever appear? There doesn't appear to be a specific forum for them here so I'm guessing they never really took off.
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    We probably could use a subforum for the apps.

However, as you mention, they are not that popular. I know I have three or four, (I don't even remember), that I have downloaded to my camera, played with, and subsequently forgotten about.

Not saying others may have found them useful, but they don't seem to be popular.
  3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well some are nice, like the one that allows for that "miniature" look or the Time lapse for sure and some others but my problem is, usually the camera CPU is not fast enough so everything feels sluggish so I do not use them that often for that reason.
  4. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
  5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Subject looks alright, but the out of focus areas really suffer from the effect. I guess if you keep this in mind or fix/blur the oof areas in post you could do some neat stuff with it.
  6. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Jose~the oof area was done on purpose and I was not trying to de-focus the background...I actually wanted to enhance the texture instead to bring out the different colors.
    Concentration was on the very front rectangular panel...the oof area was barely visible.
    I took this in a very low light with only my computer monitor as a source reflecting towards the left side of the object...ISO6400 @f/4 wide opened.
  7. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    Well, obviously the smart remote app is useful if you have a smartphone. The time-lapse app is probably the only paid app that I think is a good value and does what it should. The other paid apps are toys that you might play with once or twice.
    Some of the apps are fun. Star Trails, Picture Effect+ (for Rich Tone Mono), Smooth Reflection, Motion Shot, Multi Exposure. I've used them each more than once, but most of them require using a tripod for any kind of decent results.

There are a few apps that would be great if they added the functionality directly to the camera menus without having to enter the app. Liveview Grading would be great if the adjustments were available whenever you pressed the record button, but you have to open the app first. Lens Compensation is probably similar.

A few were so shoddy that I was not satisfied after purchasing them. Light Shaft & Bracket Pro are in this category.
  8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I only use remote shutter (very rarely) and upload to Flickr / Facebook (when traveling). They are not that great but better than nothing. Otherwise, I think it's pretty much abandonware.
  9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Lets me guess that there is just a remote shutter (what is smart remote app?) where you can just somehow click into "something" and fire the shutter remotely
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Its an app were you can use your smartphone as a remote shutter...
  12. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Smart remote allows you to use an Android device (tablet or phone) to pick a focus point and fire the shutter remotely, so it's an exported live view with some features. I think I'm going to buy a remote wired shutter release, too.
  13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    I've enjoyed the multiple exposure app from time to time for artsy portraits. Sry no examples on hand atm.