1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have C3, Considering 5N or 5R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by larrytxeast, Oct 15, 2013.

1. larrytxeast

larrytxeast TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Currently I own the Sony NEX-C3 & 18-55mm, also have the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and a few manual focus lenses & adapters. I'm pondering changing the body to a different NEX.

The main thing is when I take shots of my kids sometimes the face-detect makes it so easy to focus in the right place, other times it doesn't get it & I have to resort to specifying the AF point, & it's somewhat awkward the way the C3 does it. Models like the 5N interest me due to the touch-to-focus ability it has. This would especially be handy when using legacy glass & manually-focusing, you could quickly tap to tell it where to magnify when you initiate that. Also, the 5N goes for cheap & its .arw files would work with the Lightroom 3.5 software I have. However, I'm told the 5n doesn't offer a 15x magnify option as the C3 does (although I tend to stick with 7x most times anyway), & it doesn't allow you to re-map the left soft button as the C3 does (on my C3, left=ISO & right=WB).

The 5R has more customization possibilities that way than either the C3 or 5n, plus an extra command dial and possibly slightly faster AF performance, as I'm an "enthusiast" such would be ideal. However, besides being more expensive (which is only fair, it is a newer bod), I imagine its .arw RAW files won't work with Lightroom 3.5, necessitating another expense in the form of having to update Lightroom. However, compared to changing to a 5n, I'd likely be "future proofed" for longer, I wouldn't be as compelled to upgrade as soon.

The NEX-6? Although I somewhat like it, it's more expensive & I don't need the hot shoe or EVF, plus it doesn't have touch AF. The 3N? Lower resolution LCD vs the C3 & access to changing AF point would be no faster. Both tempt me with the built-in-flash they have (for "fill flash" portraits), but overall they lose out due to the other things.

Besides all of this, I am also looking at the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 lens for the portrait shots I do, that's actually my 1st priority over anything else. It's just that I'd be getting it for a lot of portraits shot at or near f/2.8 or f/3.5, making quick selection of AF point crucial if face detection doesn't work properly (although, honestly, it does a lot of times on my C3, but when using manual glass it's annoying pressing the button & holding down the 4-way to tell it where to go to).

Observations, ideas?

2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    If it was me, I'd go for the 5R for its hybrid AF and the apps support. You'd also be able to use your smartphone as a remote trigger with 5R.

3. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Don't use or need AF, so I'm keeping my C3 :) It's low light performance and noise handling still seem to take some beating :)

4. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Have C3? Consider A7! :) (After year of saving...)

5. larrytxeast

larrytxeast TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Yes, in my case, I don't know if I really need anything or if it's just that "itch" you go through on occasion. "I want! I want! etc.

Just yesterday I took a quick "grab" shot with my C3, and in using it, I was reminded of why I like it. It was cloudy so I needed to increase ISO to 800. Left soft button, spin, center button--done, as in done in barely 2 seconds total. Oh, it's cloudy, there's a WB preset for that, okay--right soft button, spin, center button--done, again as in done in barely 2 seconds. When I half-pressed, the face detect placed squares dead-on around their face.

And yes, other than the new A3000 and the NEX-7 (and upcoming full-frame models etc), it has the same 16mp sensor as all of them, and hence the same image quality (or close, the newer ones may be a bit "fine tuned" to do a LITTLE better, but I doubt it's like comparing them to the older 12mp Olympus models I used to use).

The main thing is that when I use legacy glass, like my old 1980s-era Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 I picked up 3 years ago at a garage sale for $5, I am CONSTANTLY having to re-locate the active focusing area so when I zoom in I'm near the eyelashes. I mean, just the tiniest shift, and I have to do it. At such times you wish for a quicker way to move those points around, so the touch ability of the 5n or 5r etc becomes quickly appealing.

The thing is, someone told me the 5n only magnifies to 9x vs 15, and also again apparently I'd lose my left/right button arrangement. It's too bad because the 5n was looking appealing as you can get them for a song anymore & it would work with my Lightroom 3.5 sofware in RAW mode.

As it stands, I guess the best thing is to just pass on that & only change if I feel brave enough to go for a Sony 5R and the newer version of Lightroom as well. Otherwise, a better usage of money would probably be the Sigma 60mm f/2.8, so I don't have to use the manual-focus 50mm as much & avoid the manual focus challenges (I sometimes stop the 50mm down to f/2.5 or f/2.8 anyway). And of course reading what I've read about the A3000 makes it tempting as a second body, but then I remember that, as a Nikon D5100 user, what I like so much about the C3 was how its portability and "D5100 quality on your hip" meant now I used it way more than my Nikon D5100, so much so I ended up selling the Nikon altogether.

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I had a 5N till it took a fall out of a two storey window. It actually continued to work, at least for a while after that but... long story short i replaced it with the 5R.

I think the 5R is worth it, for sure. The main reason for me is the extra dial and better controls.

The 5R seems freakishly good at face detection actually, i was testing it out and it was locking on to a face on a magazine cover on my coffee table. It even has a weird feature where it can produce an "optimum" cropped jpeg in camera, based on the presence of faces in the frame. It saves it next to the photo you took. Weird.

7. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    My first NEX camera was a C3. Really liked it and wished that I hadn't sold it. Would be a nice back up camera plus there is a relatively cheap dive case made for the C3. I now have the 5R and like it a lot. I have downloaded several of the apps including the remote trigger. You can use it with an iPhone (although there are reportedly some issues) and with an Android phone. However I use the app with my Asus Infinity tablet. Works amazingly well...most of the time. Sometimes it has issues in allowing me to change the exposure compensation and/or the ISO. The focusing portion is perfect. Tap on the image indicating where I want my focus point and bam it works like magic. Perfect for macro photography when I don't want to touch the shutter release and I want to check the focus points.

I also picked up an EVF for the NEX 5R so now it does pretty much everything a 6 does. Plus I can remove the EVF, put on the Sigma 19mm and I have a fairly compact set up. Totally happy with my NEX 5R.

8. Tabibito

Apr 1, 2013
    Yep, the remote trigger is one of those feautures that I really want on my NEX-5N. ^_^

9. Mk pt

Mk pt TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Here is your remote trigger:
    19b168073172126aaeb2d813e8595cb8.

And you can find a cheaper one.
    :)

10. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, i picked up a remote trigger that worked with my 5N for some absurdly low amount on ebay. That thing is great because it lets you shoot in bulb mode, so exposures that are greater than 30 seconds.

But now i have the 5R i can use my ipad, and that is actually kinda cool. Tap to focus works, on the iPad, which just feels like crazy future tech.

11. Mk pt

Mk pt TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    I think that's cool, but it's not a 'main' feature and doesn't worth a upgrade from 5N to 5R or, in doubt beetween both, a $100 diferent price.
    Yes, 5R as a faster AF, but since i have LA-EA2 the slowest af of 5n is a non issue.

For people who want to buy one camera right now and doesn't plan to use A-mount lenses, 5R is better, but for a person who want to use A-mount lenses the 5n is a very capable camera - and if you want a pocket APS-C camera with small wide lenses but also sometimes use a good/fast tele, a Nex 5 [N, R, T,..] and LA-EA2 is the way to go.

12. Tabibito

Apr 1, 2013
    Yes I've been eyeing this one for quite some time. Too bad it doesn't have a phone function. :) Just kidding.

I just still can't find enough reason to justify the purchase. I guess I'll wait for it to be on sale, that's when my mind will be at its weakest. :)

13. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    A LOT cheaper. This one's $0.99 (+ $2.62 shipping). I have it and it works great.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tabibito

Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks for the info Mellow :)