1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have an NEX-6 on order

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ajm80031, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    With the recent deals, I was able to get a good price on the NEX-6 with 16-50mm lens plus the 55-210mm zoom. I'd rented a number of cameras lately looking for something that was:

- Lightweight
    - Easy to use for a non-enthusiast but with enough ability for an enthusiast (me) to really take control
    - Had a viewfinder
    - Produced good quality stills
    - Produced good quality video
    - Doesn't break the bank

The NEX-6 won out over a number of other contenders:

- NEX-7: Didn't like the lack of a dedicated mode dial, felt the viewfinder on the NEX-6 was superior even though I think it's supposed to be the same between the two models, rather more expensive, didn't really need the extra resolution
    - Olympus OMD-EM5: Loved the feel of the camera, hated the menu system, video was sub-par, not as light as the NEXs
    - Panasonic GH3: The GH3 had superior video quality and similar stills quality, plus great external controls, but is very pricey and larger/chunkier
    - Panasonic G6: Also had better video, but stills performance (especially at higher ISOs) was sub-par by today's standards, larger/heavier than the NEXs

The camera should arrive tomorrow and I have a few months to get used to it before we go on a big trip. Looking forward to playing with the new gear, and of not having my hands get so tired when I'm shooting for an extended period of time! I've also got a flash adapter on order so I can use my old Konica-Minolta flash -- I understand the Sony adapter will preserve full control of the flash unit. I'd tried the flash out on a rented NEX-7 and the camera and flash did communicate correctly, so I'm expecting I'll have full functionality using the Sony adapter on the NEX-6. The only drawback is that the flash seems ridiculously big for the camera (as big as the camera body, maybe slightly bigger).

Are there tips on getting to grips with the NEX-6's controls quickly and learning to get the most out of the camera? I only just discovered TalkNEX so it will take me a while to find everything that's available here.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome to the asylum, ajm80031! We, of course, endorse your camera selection. ;)

As for tips about getting used to the controls, etc., my only advice is to go out and start shooting. You'll bump up against the menu's shortcomings soon enough, and develop your own work-arounds for them. Much depends on your shooting style, and what you like to change while clicking away. Other than that, fire away with any questions we might be able to answer.

Most of us don't bite. :Welcome:

3. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    The online documentation isn't stellar. I learn best by reading a good book on the camera's features and a Magic Lantern book would be greatly appreciated. There are a couple "decent" books out there but they have a lot of "how to" stuff you really don't need if you aren't a brand new shooter. I searched on Amazon to find a few and between them, they have taught me a few things about the camera. I think an awful lot of it is intuitive. The stuff you can read about how the hybrid AF system works is helpful.

I made the same choice and have been really happy with it so far. Have an upcoming trip to Europe and plan to only carry the Nex 6 and lenses

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum and the NEX. Like WoodWorks said, how you resolve assigning menu options to buttons comes with use. Takes a bit of time, but once you get them set life is pretty good. ;)

5. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Congratulations, good choice of camera :cool:

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Welcome. Take your time with the NEX-6; it took me more than a month to get to like it (I know, I'm kind of slow with these things), but the image quality kept me motivated to get to the point where I am now, happy with it.

7. ajm80031

Jul 16, 2013
    The camera just arrived. Battery was flat, so it looks like it will be a few hours before I get to start playing with it.

Thanks for all the responses!

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Hope it doesn't take as long to charge as my F3 did! :eek:

9. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Welcome and much photo fun with the nex 6

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Really - you preferred the mode dial of the NEX-6 to the Tri-Navi of the NEX-7? Whatever, all these are great cameras, so have fun!

11. ajm80031

Jul 16, 2013
    I'm not the only one who will be using the camera. Having the clearly marked mode dial so others can tell if it's in "point and shoot" mode is pretty much a requirement.