1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Have a FD 24 f2.8 : Is it worth getting a Sigma 30 f28

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by izTheViz, Jul 23, 2013.

1. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Has anybody both lenses ? I am hesitating a lot to get the Sigma as I already have the Canon FD 24. Not sure of what kind of benefits I can
    expect from it compared to the Canon.
    Should I better go for a fast 35 ?
    I found the Sigma for 90€ .
    Thanks for your help.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Is the 24 too wide for you? Do you need AF? Do you need both a 24 and a 30/35? Only you can provide those answers.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I have two good legacy 24/2.8s and the SEL24 and I still feel it is worthwhile having the Sigma 30mm! Especially if you can get a closeout/used old model at half price - absolutely impossible to go wrong with that!

The reason I like having the Sigma 30mm is I find it useful for certain landscape frames where 24mm is slightly wider than I would like. I found this to be the case surprisingly often on my big desert road trip. When it is so, that slightly longer, super sharp Sigma 30 is going to yield a much more detailed capture than if I were to use 24mm and crop.

But that's just me - your tastes could easily vary.

4. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks. That is the kind of answer I was expecting. Actually, I use the 24 mm a lot but find it sometimes a bit wide for some shots, especially in the street.
    I was wondering if moving to 30 mm would make a difference. Seems to be very sharp also. I will give it a try directly from the buyer and if I like it, take it.

5. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    These are DIFFERENT types of lenses.......

A 24mm is a medium wide-angle on NEX being equiv. to a 35mm on 'old' film (135) cameras. This is a VERY important focal length and Leica used to list no less than five 35mm lenses at one time. Some veryt famous and talented photographers used the 35mm as their main lens, and many still use this (or equiv) faocal length.

The 30mm is equiv. to a 45mm lens which is a 'standard' lens view, being basically very similar to 50mm lens on 135....

6. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I'm pretty sure the Sigma will have better sharpness across the lens and be sharper wide open as well as obviously having better coating.

7. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    thanks. gonna try it today ! my only
    concern with non manual lenses is infinity focus, especially when making long exposures...

8. rogatsby

rogatsby TalkEmount Rookie

May 21, 2013
    I have found both the Sigma 30 and the 19 to be fine for long exposures, and haven't had any problems with focusing. Here are 2 samples, the first with the Sigma 30 and the second with the Sigma 19.

2308801. 2311721.

9. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Indeed ! Nice shots ! And how do you focus ? AF ou MF ? Center or multi ?

Thx

10. rogatsby

May 21, 2013
    I used autofocus, center focus point.

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have a Kiron 28/2 and Sigma 30/2.8. I prefer the output from Kiron (after some PP) but Sigma definitely has it's advantages - compact, light, sharp, with relatively fast autofocus, a great "grab and go" lens. I just feel that Kiron has more character, if that makes sense. But Sigma is sharp and convenient. If you can get both older Sigmas at closeout price, it's a no brainer IMHO.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

12. Piyapat

Piyapat New to TalkEmount

Jul 25, 2013
    ImageUploadedByTalkNEX1374795385.397231.
    This is 24mm. Zeiss 1.8 in low light

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey Piyapat, nice shot. Welcome to the forum. :)

14. Keppelj

Keppelj TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 26, 2013
    I have the Canon FD 24 2.8 and the Sigma. I can't get the same sharpness from the Canon.

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Due to the adapter, your 28mm is actually closer to 40mm, (sorry don't recall the exact conversion).

I personally have both the 19 and 30mm Sigmas and live the crisp images. I also have a 45mm and a 28-70mm MF lenses.

The biggest reason I would consider both is for the AF. I personally prefer MF over AF, however in large group settings like family gatherings it is nice to not have to worry about getting the shot while fumbling with a lens.

16. rogatsby

May 21, 2013
    Again, I say yes! I have the SEL35 now, and it would make sense to sell my Sigma 30, but I can't get much for it anyway, so I may as well enjoy it?

Here's a shot from just a few days ago. With the Sigma 30 of course :)

DSC08732.

17. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks. Finally got it. It is indeed a bit more sharp than the FD and the AF is helpful too. Took some great images with it and actually didn't use the FD since I got it...