1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has this happened to you?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ilovenex, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Hello everyone, recently I made photography my hobby after watching pics on this forum and my wife pics. My wife has the 5r which I helped her choose with 1855 and sigma 19mm 2.8 lens. Now it comes to me it's been a month almost that I want a camera but I cannot decide for some reason. Already saved up money for any of them. First I was deciding Omd EM-5 and XE1 and Nex 6. Now I don't care about Omd Em5 anymore. And I kinda got settled with the Nex 6 till I saw a65. The more YouTube video and forums I go to makes it hard to decide lol. I went to store yesterday to see A65 and I love the pic quality but it's Big. That's why I'm getting rid of d90 cause I used it only few times. Has this ever happened to you guys that it's hard to decide what to get? Thanks please share.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

2. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    It's always hard to decide...!
    Doesn't matter if camera or lens... and there will always be something new and something better (and more expensive).
    And there will always be one more cheap legacy lens on the bay...
    Welcome to our world... :) :) :)

3. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    But to help you with your decision:
    I you don't really need the camera now, start working with the R of your wife and see what you like and what you don't like!
    This really can help you see if the other models have what you miss or lack what you like...!
    Personally of course I would choose the NEX6 cause than you can share all your lenses with your wife which means more lenses to choose from...

4. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Ya it would be great sharing lenses. She tells me every time to try her 5R I say no lol. I'm jealous of it. Does better pics than d90. I think I'm gonna stop looking at videos just buy the Nex 6 or maybe nex 7 cause of the video I watched earlier. What's better 7 or 6?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

5. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I concur with Markus, have a play around the 5R and see if it's for you.

I'll probably add that you also need to look at what you plan to shoot and how you shoot.

Is size a big factor for you? You mentioned that you found the A65 big though you like the image quality, you can have a look at the Canon SL1 , a standard dslr with the size no bigger than the Oly EM-5. Do you plan to just carry around the camera in a holster or are you planning to carry it around in a camera bag (a small unit in this case wouldn't matter much as you are going to carry the bag anyway). Do you have any lenses you would like to adapt? How do you feel about manual focusing? Do you plan to shoot street incognito or prefer to shoot wildlife, architecture etc..

I pretty much went though the same process, but with the disadvantage that I was not able to test any of the cameras and I ended up buying each camera until I found the one I wanted to settle in with.

Happy hunting.

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    My opinion of cameras today is that they are so good that pretty much any brand will perform well in the hands of a good photographer. That's the opposite of the kind of complaining you hear about in some forums where every brand is pretty much trash except their most favored one. In reality, what will make the biggest difference to photographic output is not the camera (at least once you get to large-sensor cameras like m4/3 and higher), but the person behind the camera, so that's precisely where I focus all my energy on - improving myself (and I have a long way to go yet!).

The upshot of this attitude is that I can always wait for a better model. If I'm not completely 100% satisfied with the reviews/specs of a new model... well I'll wait. My NEX-5N will still be taking the gorgeous photos that made me fall in love with the camera (and they're becoming a damn sight better as I get better), and the % of 'missed' shots for whatever my camera failed will be so negligible they'll be forgotten in a week's time.

I apply this attitude to gadgets generally too, a trick from buying my first flatscreen TV - basically, I could watch TV just fine and there's been no need to upgrade since - 5 years on. I used to be the sort who changed his laptop every 1-1.5 years, phones every year, etc. Today, my phone is 2 years old, my last laptop got lost 3 months ago (aged 3 years) and I still haven't replaced it (making do with my tablet, which I did replace finally after 2 years). I foresee a long life for my NEX, unless the FF NEX or NEX-7N are truly special. If not? Well I will wait, just as I did in passing on the NEX-7/5R/6.

7. This is very recognisable. A few years ago I started with an Nikon D80. After that came the D300 and when the D700 came out I made the switch to full frame. With the switch to full frame came an enormous investment in full frame lenses. I’ve used my Nikon equipment intensively and I still love the colours, depth of field, high ISO and especially the very good AF. The downside of it was that I had to carry an rucksack with a minimum weight of +/- 20 kilo’s. We often travel to rural areas in the UK and hiking became more and more less fun because of the weight I carrying. To make it less heavy I bought an 28-300 FX lens for the holiday’s. This made the weight that I was carrying a lot less but I was not convinced by the quality of the 28-300 compared to my other lenses.

After reading a lot about mirrorless system’s and testing a few ones I’ve decided to sell all of my Nikon gear. This was a hard decision but I just dit not want to walk around with this weight any more. Luckily the second hand market for Nikon Gear is good in the Netherlands where I live and after a few month’s I’ve sold everything.

I still had to decide which mirrorless system. I like the Fuji and the Sony system. The film quality and capabilities of the Nex system drew me to Sony. I really liked the old fashion style of the Fuji and the better high iso of their system. The downside of fuji is that their system is a bit larger in size. This might seem just a little but this counts for much more when you have a complete gear.

Currently I own a Nex 7 with an 10-18, 24 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm and 55-210. The set is completed with a set of B&W ND filters, extra accu’s, Kenko rings and other small stuff. I carry the whole set in a (in my opinion) small Crumpler bag which only weights a fraction of what I used to carry. Also the size difference makes it a lot more attractive to take it with me.

My opinion after one and a half year Nex:

It took minimal a year to actually fall in love with the Sony system. This maybe sounds a bit odd but I was used to the Nikon Menu’s, picture quality, colours, etcetera. After a lot of tweaking and just trying things out I found out that the colours could be similar to what I was used to with my Nikon with the right settings. Now the colours it produces are “straight out of the box” the way I like it.

Things I miss: The FX depth of field, the weather sealing of the D700, the better High Iso and AF.

Things I absolutely love about the NEX system compared to Nikon (this is also applicable for other larger DSLR’s of other brands)

- It is small and lightweight! I carry around my full set of gear in a tiny bag and have all the possibilities I like because I have everything I need with me. This made it fun again to go hiking and to even more remote places just and take my gear with me. All other things that I miss from my Nikon DSLR are compensated by this. No matter how good a DSLR is, this won’t compensate for the fact that I can take with me all I need in one tiny and reasonable light bag. Just for this reason I won’t go back to a DSLR. Same is for Full frame. I would really like to have a full frame nex but if that would mean that the lenses wil have to be bulky and heavy I will stich to my current sensor size.

- The sensor is much easier to clean compared to DSLR’s with their shutter curtains. Second advantage is that the sensor is built less deep into the camera body. This may look a minor detail but to me this makes it easy to clean compared to DSLR’s.

- In certain places / situations I’m glad to walk around with a tiny camera instead of an bulky DSLR. For instance Street Photography. People notice a huge DSLR much easier and are often less impressed by my tiny Nex although it can deliver the same results!

- The EVF show’s me immediately what the result is of my adjustments. This is also possible with live-view on a DSLR but it is far more user friendly on a Nex.

I hope that my story is helpful to you in making a choice. Sorry for my poor English. I'm native Dutch speaking and it is quite difficult to write this in English.

With regards, Rob Veneboer

8. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Really give the 5R a try! Sharing some lenses would really make sense cause otherwise you'll perhaps buy 2 "identical" lenses, one for the NEX and one for whatever system...

The decision between the 6 and the 7 is tough to make...
    What do you expect?
    Does price matter?
    I have a 5N now and would go for the 6 if I could afford it now, the 7 would be "too much" for me...
    If you really want 24MP sensor, go for the 7...
    Also controls are a bit more professional on the 7, but it's bulkier than the 6...
    As I said before: Try the 5R and see what you're missing and than see if the 6 or the 7 has what you need...