Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Aug 29, 2017.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    So this morning I decide I'll try to get some early morning sun shots out in the back yard. Our wall in back is 6ft high so by the time the sun comes up over it, it really isn't all that 'early'.
    Anyway, I grab the camera, check that it's got a card, battery and the lens info is set for the anti-shake. Check, check and check. Go out, turn the camera ON, frame a shot, press the shutter button, and nothing happens. ....Try again. Still nothing. Focus peaking is working, speed changes are effecting the exposure as I'd expect them to. Try again. Nothing.
    Retreat back into the house so I can put my glasses on AND read the screen as you can't see it in the broad daylight (at least I can't).
    Go thru all my checks again. Everything checks out OK. Press the shutter...and then I notice that the 10-sec self-timer light is lighting up. I have the sound turned off. Guess I should turn it back ON.
    I admit, I almost, almost panicked when nothing happened outside, but knew it had to be user error. I'd left the self timer on when recording the shutter sound videos.
    All's well now.
    Carry on.

• Funny Funny x 7
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    More times than I can count. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Oh I get into trouble with forgetting to change settings back to "normal" when i do something unusual all the time. And then I panic, instead of just calmly touching 'disp' to see what's up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    You guys don't know how much better that makes me feel.:biggrin:

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yeah, I know that "Huh, WTF?" feeling all too well. Selftimer engaged, so shutter button "doesn't work". Trying to manually focus in AF mode. Forgetting to set the OSS appropriately. Exposure correction wildly off. Huh, dark shot? Ah, bracketing mode. This should up your mood a little further. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^This :D

7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    yes. several times!

8. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    That would of been terrible if your shutter went out while doing shutter sound videos! :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    "No, nothing like that has ever happened to me" ...........
    ...... says no photographer - EVER!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    A funny/embarrassing story. On a recent trip, my LCD display suddenly went dark. The viewfinder worked as normal, so I could take pictures as normal, but no display. "Oh no! My LCD is broken." I tried everything, hunting through menus checking settings, everythining, even doing a factory reset.

When I wiped the viewfinder with my shirt, the lcd came back on. It was dust.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. newst

newst TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I had almost the identical experience with the A7II. Everything working fine except the screen display. After a period of semi panic and experimentation I discovered a small bit of thread caught under the edge of the eyecup and impinging on the sensor. A quick removal restored full operation.