Has anyone tried (and can compare) C3 vs. original NEX3 re: ergonomics?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 17, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I am considering a C3. I had the NEX 3 before, and found the ergonomics just fine (though I realize most people liked the 5 better, I actually preferred the 3).

I read people complaining about the ergos on the C3. Has anyone used (and liked) the NEX 3 and, if so, could you comment on the C3 ergonomics compared to the older 3?

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I currently have the NEX-3 and messed with a C3 at the store. The C3 grip feels even smaller than the NEX-3 and since it is closer to the lens mount the camera feels even less balanced IMHO.

3. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I just got back from Best Buy, and I concur. The camera is not as long (left to right), so my thumb no longer has anyplace to rest except on the LCD screen. The grip now only fits two fingers, instead of 3. I guess I'll take a pass on the C3. It's for much more petite people, I think.

I looked at the 5n. It's pretty much the exact same as the 5, which I wasn't super-duper fond of. Maybe I'll wait for the 7 to try, though the cost is high for me. Or maybe a 5n used will be much more affordable after the 7 is released.

4. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    I've tried the NEX 3 and found it very comfortable to hold and use. I own a C3 and use it exclusively with Nikon glass so I hold the whole rig with the lens, so I don't think about ergonomics, balance etc. The Sony is just this small gadget with an LCD, something hanging off the back to support the shutter release...

5. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    That's a good point, though I was hoping to try some Leica or CV rangefinder lenses, so I think I'll still need to successfully hold the body. Good food for thought, though, as they say.