1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hard to believe.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OldNoob, Dec 22, 2014.

1. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I've had this a6000 for about 40 days and have somehow managed to put about 3000 shutter activations on it. :eek:
    Which got me thinking how in the world did i do that?? then i remembered that i have the drive set on high speed continuous, which equates into about 5 extra shots for any one given subject. because i wanted to capture the best image. UGH
    talk about wearing out a camera in a year! im going to have to be a bit more cautious,,,, once i get past this wedding mess.
    Maybe i'll rent an a7II for the wedding and burn up its shutter ;) :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you are enjoying the A6000

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just as an aside, do you recall if the marketing info for the a6000 included any average shutter actuation life expectancy?
    I've been trying to find out for my NEX-7 but so far haven't been able to.

4. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Does the A6000 even have a shutter? I think not. Did some long exposure flash with first curtain sync, really wierd experience comming from real shutters.

5. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Yep they still have a shutter just not a flip up mirror as in a DSLR.

Oldnoob, don't let it stress you. Just enjoy your fabulous camera and if and when it is worn out you will have a library of great images and an excuse to upgrade to whatever Sony have come up with by then.

Roundball I have a 5R which I use for messing around with time-lapse. I bought it as a refurb so already had some use and I am racking up the shutter count real quick. If and when it fails I will be sure to give an update.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Is there an easy way to find the shutter count ? is it just the name of the file ?

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    If you bought the camera new and never changed your SD card, then the file name should be accurate.

There is also this handy tool.
    http://www.camerashuttercount.com/

• Like Like x 1
  8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    unfortunately I use a couple of sd cards heh

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    One of the members here suggested a little software program called PIE (Picture Information Extractor)...can picture his avatar but can't recall his ID, sorry. PIE is available in a limited function free download which gives a lot of EXIF data including the on-going shutter actuation count.

And / or for just a few dollars, you can buy the full function version which also gets updated periodically, etc.
    It integrates well / uses the same existing MS Office folder structure and I've found it to be excellent...have deleted / discarded the sony software that came with the NEX-7.

Since I always rename my image file names after transferring the images from an SD card to my PC, I then always reformat the SD card and reset the image # scheme back to zero. And unlike some software, even if you change the file name, then go back later to look at particular data for an image, PIE still extracts all the EXIF data.

• Like Like x 2
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just remembered his ID: "addieleman" shared the info about PIE software...and my thanks to him again !
    :)

11. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Another tool for seeing the shutter count is this web page. takes a bit of time after you hit "do it"
    http://tools.science.si/index.php

• Like Like x 2