Hanging in the yard

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Jman13, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jman13

Jman13 TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2014
    Took the A6000 out in the yard with my son to test the face detection capabilities of the camera. I've had mixed success with face detection on most cameras, especially once you get close and have shallow DOF. I have to say the A6000 has the best face detection I've seen. Nearly every shot was dead on in focus on the closest eye. They've done a great job with their algorithm. Even in the one profile shot, where he's tilted slightly away and only part of his eye is visible, focus is still on his iris. Really impressive. In what will be a surprise to no one, I'm still incredibly impressed with the Sigma 60mm. It's a brilliant optic. I tried out the FE 55/1.8 today in my local store and was somewhat unimpressed to be honest (though I only shot it at f/1.8). Lots of LoCA at f/1.8, and while it's very even across the frame, it's only about as sharp at f/1.8 as my Fuji 56/1.2 is at f/1.2. (Which is fairly sharp, but I expected better from a $1000 f/1.8 lens). Still, I'll need to get a review sample of that lens.

Anyway, some of the shots. All except the last are with the Sigma 60. The last is with the 18-105@105mm.

(It wasn't all fun and games - ha!)

• Like Like x 8
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Jordan, excellent photos as usual.

And I'll offer another comment just as food for thought...I may be over sensitive to it...or a worrywart...but with all the crazies in the world today I swear I would not put photos of my family / my children on the Internet for anything...others mileage may vary of course.
  4. Jman13

Jul 4, 2014
    A little late to put that back in the bottle. I've taken precautions.
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Yes, you took some great portraits there, Jordan. And yours is the first report I've read that had anything but high praise for the 55 f/1.8. I've never had the chance to shoot with it.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I admit that I don't have a clue why putting photos of your kids on the Internet could expose them to any more danger than they'd face walking down the street. I'd be interested in hearing an explanation of why that should be.
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Wow, those are some beautiful portraits of an addorable kid Jordan!!! :thumbup:

I also have the 18-105mm and its slowly becoming my favourite everyday lens. Also thinking of getting the Sigma 60 unless Sony comes up with a fast 60-90 portrait lens that won't cost a fortune
  7. Jman13

Jul 4, 2014
    I feel the same way. I don't see people going out of their way to target a specific child if they are so inclined...In any case, all of our lives are somewhat public, and I have means of protection for my kids. Anyway, let's get away from this train of thought, please.

Anyway, I was not trying to imply that the 55/1.8 wasn't a good lens. I used it for a grand total of 3 minutes and only shot at f/1.8 with it. My impression is that it's a very good lens...just that on APS-C, I've seen better, and when you charge $1,000 for an f/1.8 50-ish lens, it had better be absolutely incredible to warrant the price. On full frame, it probably does warrant that price, and it is quite good and very even across the frame. But my 56/1.2 is similar across the frame at f/1.2, and at f/1.8 it's significantly sharper. Sure, different system, but that lens is the same price as the 55/1.8, is better at the common apertures, and a full stop faster, which is why the slight letdown. It is certainly capable of very high quality imaging, and as I mentioned, I only used it for a few minutes. Not enough to form a definitive opinion.
  8. Jman13

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks! The 18-105 is a fun little lens. Not the greatest optically, but good enough to be useful throughout the focal and aperture range. The Sigma 60 is just absolutely phenomenal, and even moreso when you consider the price. It is definitely my favorite E-mount lens I have.
    • Like Like x 1