Hands up, who thinks I'm nuts?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Nov 26, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm considering selling my NEX 7 and re-buying a 5n. I don't use the EVF or flash, yes, the ergonomics are better, but I don't see any jump in IQ.

What am I not considering? Am I crazy?

Tracy

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's not only about the EVF and IQ (which is quite a bit better in landscape, macro and studio photography), it' also about the amazing tri navi and the AF/MF-button.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Traci you're probably not nuts. I know you mentioned the 7 doesn't peak as well as the N, and you're a full time MF shooter.
    Think long and hard, make a pros and cons list of each camera, the answer will become clearer in the process.
    The controls and UI seem to be the strong points of the 7, yet if the N is better suited for you, get another one :)

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Not nuts. If you're focusing on legacies, you only ever need shutter priority and you're set. Tri-navi dials aren't much use if you're using the lens, and the 24 megapixels makes high ISO and wide angle life harder. Plus you get a smaller body. I would however, recommend with the money saved, that you try out the 5N EVF. It is special, and trumps the fixed EVF in my opinion

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    How could 24 MP make "wide angle life harder"? In fact, wide angles are the lenses wheee you need every pixel - because usually you print a landscape 3x2 meters, not a portrait. Of course the NEX-7s sensor has some problems with legacy wide angle lenses, but with such awesome options available (Sony 10-18mm OSS, Zeiss 12mm 2.8, ...) it's not a huge problem.

The peaking works better on the 5n because less MP require less lens resolution to get to pixel level sharpness - and legacy lenses, as nice as they may render a scene, often don't meet the requirements of modern, high resolution sensors.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    If the 5n suits your needs better then it's the better camera for you. I don't think you're nuts.

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    If you like the N, get the N. If you can have an opportunity to play with the 6, give it a go though. It's one really nice camera.

8. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks again to you all for your advice. Nice to know that the resolution is what reduces peaking, it's been bugging me! There is much to love, such as the controls and potential use of flash/EVF but I think Quezra hits the nail on the head; I'm a simplistic shooter, and it seems 16MP hits the sweet spot for legacy use. Not sure I can afford the 6, which sounds ideal so options may be to put it on The Bay and see if it sells for the price I like (basically what I paid, after fees) and if it sells get a 5n or go nexless until the 6 drops a bit. Hmmm, dilemma number deux!

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Keep the 7, the Sony Outlet is selling refub black 5N bodies for $339.00!!

10. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks shredd, but I'm UK.

11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Well, if you never use the EVF and you don't need the resolution it could be worth considering.

I'm pretty thoroughly hooked on that AF/MF button to kick in MF Assist - I would definitely not make a swap before ensuring the replacement had something equally handy.

I've never thought about replacing the 7 but the scorching deals on closeout 5Ns do get my attention. I've got my eye on the Voigtlander 15mm and from my readings I gather that while the 7 can work OK with it, the 5N has significantly less color cast issues. So I could see a 5N or 5R eventually for 2nd/backup/wide-angle/touchscreen use.

12. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    As I understand it, there's more CA in legacy wides on the 7

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Maybe yes, maybe no. Mine and several others I know of color shift/vignette almost as badly as the 7 does. Others show no signs of it. Luck of the draw I suppose. Easily dealt with in post, but still a PITA since it isn't uniform across the 5N bodies.

14. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Well folks, it's up on The Bay, I'll leave it to fate. Thanks so much for advising, I truly appreciate it :)

15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, but not the resolution is to blame here.

16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Good move. Just listen to your heart.

17. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    thanks hun. If it sells I won't mind, if it doesn't I won't mind either!

18. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I have a Sony A37 SLT (same sensor as 5n) and I think that the 16mp sensor is a nice 'sweet spot' (and a bit better than the 14mp one in my Nex 5)- but then I have never used a camera with a 24mp sensor to compare (and I can appreciate that it would make a difference for landscapes, macro, studio and the like).

19. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Ok I'll bite, what differentiates the CA (or lack thereof) in the 5N from the 7 then?

20. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    maintain nex 7, personal opinion, I would not change it for anything, I love my nex7 is super easy and the Tri-navi, AF / MF, finally, the nex5n is very good too. You can now take a nex5n for half of the price, you can catch a good deal. : O