Hands on with the NEX 6 and the new pancake lens.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I wet my pants!

No not really, but it seems the right thing to say! :p

Can't help but think that the RX1 could be real bad news for the other big names... especially with an IC version coming next year.

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thread and title don't match :)

The 35f1.8 lens is really really on my xmas shopping list now, it's as tiny as I could have hoped for. At its price it'll have to shade the 50 in IQ or end up being a dud, so I don't think Sony would have had the guts to price it significantly above the 50 without the quality to back it up. Just need the reviews now...

I am so so so so glad I bought into the NEX system. Today was like putting my Christmas shopping list together.

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Do to. ;) Once you get pass all that compact camera stuff. He talks about the NEX 6 and the pancake kit zoom.

It is cool that the compact camera has a manual aperature ring on the lens. Very cool.

4. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
  5. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I just finished reading a bunch of reviews. I'm fighting the urge to sell as many M43 and NEX cameras that I currently own as needed to buy the NEX 6.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    When I get to the point I will have a tough choice between the 5N, 6, and 7.

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France

I have the 5N and can't decide which one (6 or 7) to upgrade to !!

8. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I've been on the fence about NEX since day one; never bought in to the system. In and out of m4/3s a couple of times; various DSLRs. Just pre-ordered the 6 w/the new kit lens and the 35/1.8. And just sold my E-M5 -- so the bar is high for the 6!

The only things I'm not thrilled with in reading the previews of the 6 is the lack of tri-nav control dials a la the 7 and the lack of good touchscreen interface. Not deal breakers by any means though.

While the specs on the 6 were probably enough to get my money, the compact kit zoom and the 35/1.8 really sealed the deal.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Congrats on the future cam !!
    6 is going to be great on two counts : by it's own right, AND because it's gonna push 7 prices massively down <grin>

10. krugorg

krugorg TalkEmount Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    I was hoping, probably wishful thinking, that the NEX-6's mode dial was a stacked, combo dial (2), but it looks like that is not the case?

Very happy to see the 35/1.8 and personally like to see them in black.

11. korn_2956

korn_2956 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it is 2 dials

12. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    It definitely is. Bottom is assignable (I think) and top is mode dial.

13. krugorg

Aug 17, 2012
    I see the mode dial, but I meant that it looked like that one could possibly be stacked - i.e., you could lock the top mode portion and then the bottom would move separately to control aperture, shutter, etc., which would then give you a total of two control dials (non-mode), with the one at the bottom. Like I said, maybe wishful thinking when I saw what looked like two dials stacked on top of each other at the mode dial.

14. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    Thanks.

Yeah, I considered that very point about pricing on the 7, but the 24MP sensor scares me. I can't afford a bunch of four figure Zeiss glass, and I think with the 7 I'd be thinking that was necessary. 16MP on the 6 seems to hit the Goldilocks spot for me -- just right.

You've gone from an E-M5 to GX1 to NEX, correct? I'm wondering if you miss the IBIS on the E-M5 when shooting MF lenses? I'm certain that focus peaking is a big step up, but I find the stabilization useful even on 50mm lenses.

15. demiro

Mar 2, 2012
    modedial.

from DPR's preview

16. krugorg

Aug 17, 2012
    Thanks, I should have read it all the way through:

"A notable distinction between the NEX-6 and any previous model in the lineup is the inclusion of an eight-position exposure mode dial which rests on the top plate. Sandwiched directly underneath it is a larger-circumference control dial. A built-in flash, new standard ISO hot shoe (that still supports Sony's proprietary connector) and OLED viewfinder with adjacent diopter round out the remaining controls."

Two control dials, plus a mode dial, would work pretty well for me. ;)

17. korn_2956

korn_2956 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Yeah me to. The only thing i don't like about my 5n is the lack of exterior controls so the 6 will be great. I also really want the evf. Just gotta sell some stuff and wait till November.

18. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    No E-M5 for me, disliked the feel in the hand and I hate Oly's UI. The GX-1 otoh is wonderful, but focus peaking + less DOF (very noticeable despite what m4/3 folks make it to be) won me over.
    However, GX-1 would still be my choice if I weren't a shallow DOF nut wanting to use manual lenses. Stabilization holds no attraction for me, maybe I'm blessed with steady hands but I never felt the need for it :)

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Neat stuff coming from Sony, but my 5N works just fine for now. See no reason to "upgrade" until something breaks. ;)