Hands-on with SEL18200 - Wow! Now that's small! :O

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I recently tried out the 18 - 200 mm SEL18200 at the local camera store (well, "local" means to drive some hours in Austria ;) ) and was VERY surprised just how small it was! I was threatened by pictures where it looks giant and by tests continually telling me it's too front-heavy. Reality is: It's about the same size (maybe some mm shorter) than most other 18-200mm lenses for APS-C-sized sensors. You probably already know that, but if you still haven't tried it out and want a tele lens, just do it.

The build quality of the lens is outstanding. Outstanding from all other super zooms. I really like it! The zoom ring is a bit stiff, and it's really, really slooow at the tele end (tested at reasonable bright daylight) but I think most can live with this issue, as it performs nice (from what I've seen in tests). Well worth the money, and, if you also shoot video, sure a better choice than the upcoming 55-210 mm.

Just wanted to share my thoughts. Hope somebody finds this helpful and tries out the SEL18200 by him-/herself. ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.