1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Hands On Review: Samsung NX200 & 85mm ƒ1.4'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Sep 1, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I sure would like to see Sony release an 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 OSS lens for the NEX cameras. If Sony can keep the price under $600 then that's even better.

2. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    The Sony NEX roadmap promises a medium telephoto for 2012. This will presumably be an 85mm.

3. ryandigweed

ryandigweed TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    I guess this is too expensive, and the photo quality is not as good as a NEX . Someone could go for a X100 or NEX-7 for a little more :)

4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    The one and only reason I didn't go with the Samsung NX100 over the Sony NEX-3 was that the current batch of Samsung NX cameras actually suffer from MORE ISO noise than my Olympus E-PL1 and E-PL1s with their 4/3 sensors.

If I'm buying a camera with an APS-C sensor then I want the high ISO advantages of a good APS-C sensor. The first image samples from the new NX200 don't look horrible, but I'm not impressed with the first high ISO shots I've seen from this camera. I suspect the NEX-7 will do better at high ISO even though it's packing more pixels in the same space.

5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Photozone assessed Samsung 85mm f1.4 as "highly recommended" in their review.

SAMSUNG NX200 BLACK W/18-55 II OIS LENS at Henry's goes for 499.99.

I'm a little surprised Samsung isn't doing better with their NX system.

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It's interesting that Samsung also adhered to the 16mm pancake lens spec which Sony initiated in their NEX line up.