Hands on experience / recommendations modifying a half case for an NEX-7 ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Feb 25, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Background…with huge hands, the half case on my NEX-7 is a life-saver...and to be honest, I only use / get benefit from the right hand side wrap making the grip area larger. The sturdy metal bottom of the half case is good of course because it mounts the half case to the bottom of the camera body securely. But the built-in tripod socket in the metal bottom is of no value because I never use it, always using the sturdy tripod foot on the Canon FD to Sony NEX-7 Adapter instead. Bottom line, I have the case, it serves its intended purpose, and I need to keep it / use it.

Now to the down side which I assume most of you know about, and that is the design of the LEFT side of the case comes up and covers the 2 little access doors for the external mic, USB, and HDMI sockets. To transfer photos to my PC for processing I’ve had to remove the SD card, then hook up an SD card reader, plug the card in, transfer the photos, then reverse all that to get the SD card back into the camera. All very doable, of course, but the much faster way is to simply plug a USB cable into the camera...do it all the time with my little Canon Point & Shoot.

And now that I'm getting serious about some wildlife video using a shotgun MIC that'll be here in a couple days, I'll have to have the door open to have the MIC plugged in...but don't want to operate without the half case installed for the oversize grip benefit.

So the question…have any of you modified the left side of a typical half case to allow the access doors to be opened while the half case is on the camera…or know of any such modifications?
    (mine looks like this photo)

2. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Follow up question:

Anybody know if the access doors can be easily removed from the camera?
    If so, a single edge razor blade could be used to remove a small rectangle of leather to expose the MIC & USB ports.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I personally am not a fanof the cases. They seem incomplete, and for me, (obviously not for you), add too much bulk.

I wish there was a patterned wrap, like that which is popular with cell phones that would wrap the entire camera, and not just simply the bottom.

Now as to your issue. That does seem poorly placed. I know there are a couple of makers of these half cases. Did you look at another brand?

If no other maker exists, your only option seems to be to alter it yourself, or find a shop that does alterations.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I did look at a few on line and didn't see any that had the enlarged grip area with an open left side.
    I tossed the question out on a forum, and was steered to this brand for it's quality...and was told to just remove the SD card and use an SD card reader every time, etc...which I've been doing and if that's all there was I could continue to live with it.
    The wildcard now pushing this to the edge is the external MIC that I'm about to start using...and it HAS to access the lower door.

Just you asking the question has made me decide to start Googling half cases again...maybe a new design has surfaced for this very issue by now. Hate to modify this case...it was not cheap.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Cannot find a half case for the NEX-7 that's designed for access to the ports on the left side.
    Interesting, because Gariz does make such a half case for the NEX-5R...allowing access to all ports.

Makes me wonder if a trend of problems showed up with that design, causing them to stand up more material on that left corner when they made the NEX-7 half case.

Oh wait...my memory is trying to drag something up...didn't the NEX-7 come out BEFORE the NEX-5 ?
    Maybe the NEX-5 design is the fix for the port covered problem with the NEX-7 ?