Hand/Neck strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Jul 18, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    After spending some time photoshooting outside I have found the following:

1. I do not like too much the default neck strap of my nex-f3. The camera with the lens weighs a bit and when I want to shoot fast I find the strap to be too short and I am really restricted (I have to take the camera out of my neck to shoot which consumes time)

2. Hand straps allow me to feel that the camera is the extension of my hand which is great and it also allows me to take very fast shots. The problem though is that I get easily tired especially with my 135mm prime lens and I tend to put it back to my neck.

I was thinking if there is a strap that can be used for both reasons, perhaps by having a button that would allow you to enlarge it or reduce the length of the strap. That way I would be able to have the camera over neck and when needed go to hand strap.

What do you do when you are outdoors walking and want to have the camera for quite some time with you?

Regards
    Alex

2. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
  3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi looks nice indeed but what would you do when your wrist is tired and you want to have the camera over the neck?

Regards
    Alex

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for sharing. What do you have at the screen at the back side?

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The beauty of NEX cameras is the size -- they're small and light. A wrist strap is all you need and you can carry it all day. I reccomend the tripod attached Gordy's Camera straps. You'll hardly be noticed on the street. That's great for getting the street shot and great for avoiding thieves.

And, if you do need to carry a bigger rig, then I suggest Black Rapid. Again, you'll hardly be noticed. And, if you really need to be able to switch quickly, Black Rapid now has a wrist strap that uses the same tripod lug that the cross-body strap uses.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    tripod?? what tripod?? I misunderstand something here...

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Bill wrote tripod lug, Alex. He's saying that you attach the strap to the same spot on the bottom of the camera where you would attach a tripod. Dave's pictures above show an example of that setup.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I tried a handstrap, but did not like having one of my hands permanently attached. I often wish I had a third hand, not one. :rolleyes:

It may be great for some, just not for me.

When I don't use my clip thing, (for my larger lenses) I use a Targus neck strap I found at Target. I like it primarily because it is contoured around one's neck.

415vH3dCggL._SY300_.

12. Prime117

Prime117 New to TalkEmount

Jul 28, 2013
    Has anyone used the Joby 3 way strap?

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
  14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Its purpose is mainly to block the direct sunlight blocking your view on the LCD and for this I'd say it does the job OK...
    When closed it protects the LCD screen from scratches etc but its quite thick and personally I prefer a thin sheet for this

Bare in mind that I have the Sony PCK-LM1EA fitted on my Nex-5 and the JJC LCD sunshade DOES NOT fit with the semi hard sheet in place...

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Correct. Some models don't allow this easily though as the LCD is tappered.

This one came off of my original NEX-3. I removed the clips and attached it via velcro.