1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Had to replace the A7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by addieleman, Apr 23, 2016.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    ... because of sensor reflections.

i-9kmmLX4.

A7 at the left, A7R2 is right. The A7 produces blobs and streaks near very strong highlights as is well documented already. When seeing this earlier I decided to rent an A7R2 to see if it did any better in comparison to the A7. And it did.

After thinking 1 minute about other full-frame options I decided to stick with Sony and that left me with three options, each € 1800 apart: stick with the A7, buy an A7II or buy an A7R2. Sticking with the A7 for night photography is out, I don't want to come home with suboptimal results when I put in a lot of time and effort to make those shots. After a lot of agonizing I decided to splurge for the A7R2 because I liked it. Lesson: don't rent a camera you can't afford to buy :).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Good choice, the A7R2 is a very good camera and apart from the extra resolution it has extra features the A72 doesn't have.

Paul

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So far I'm very happy with it, apart from having spent the major part of my yearly budget :eek:.

4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

That's pretty funny, Ad; looking at your last series from downtown Eindhoven I knew something was about to happen :biggrin:. I hope you got a good deal on the R2.

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You got that right. And no, I didn't get a good deal on it, everywhere in Holland it costs € 3499; I got € 10 off on the Meike grip though, yay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Fuggedabout the $$$$ and enjoy your new camera, Ad. There simply is no better platform for your glass collection, even though some few old suckers won't look much better on a 42MP sensor ;).

• Like Like x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Ad,
    I have been feeling your pain, but I don't have the means to deal with it at this time :(.
    Although there is truth to misery loves company, I'll dig deep and be envious.. I mean happy for you. :2thumbs:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks :). Hope you'll get to solve this problem for your NY bridges project.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, that image in your first post plainly shows the problem, and the solution. Next problem: the A7RII's sensor starts pointing out the shortcomings of your favorite lenses. :whistling:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I share the same frustration with the A7's sensor reflection but unfortunately I can't afford a II.

Congrats Ad! Enjoy the new camera ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Congrats on the upgrade to an A7R2 Ad!

I'll be interested to see how your vast collection of Minoltas performs on the 42MP A7R2. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    The A7 is now a scorching bargain if you can tolerate those quirks. But if not, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    I would love to upgrade mine some time this year. (With 3 years of abuse and a permanent smudge on the sensor, my original A7 body will probably be worth more to me as a second / backup body than I could get in trade.)
    I'm ready for silent shutter and better AF right now, even if my bank account isn't.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  13. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

That's when you start downsampling 42MP to 21MP and realize that those 21MP still look better than the 24MP in the original!
    I sold mine for half of what I paid for it (ouch!), but I'm counting on being able to pick up another one used in maybe a year for half of that! As you said, there are quirks, but I still really like its size vs. the larger gripped & thicker II models.

• Like Like x 1
  14. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Congrats Ad. I went for a second hand A7R and really enjoy the upgrade. So you will. I now imagine what the IBIS can bring.

• Like Like x 1
  15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    To be honest, I was afraid of that and so far it looks like the A7R2 makes my FE 1:4 zooms look better because its focussing is more accurate. Some legacy lenses really start to show their shortcomings on the 42 MP sensor but the better ones look awesome.

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm probably going to keep my A7, it still is one fine camera. I mistreated it by using acetone to remove the LCD protection layer and that damaged some buttons and texts on the rear so it won't fetch much on the second-hand market anyway.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Look at the pic in the first post: the right part is noticeably sharper, probably due to a combination of higher resolution and more accurate focussing. The A7 has a nasty habit of misfocussing my native lenses, so much so that I revert to manual focussing on a regular basis.
    True, the A7R2 is noticeably heavier than the A7. It's the trade-off between IBIS and weight/size.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Looking forward to photos from your new camera! Especially with the manual-focus lens collection.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rayvonn

rayvonn TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Pardon the ignorance, but does this mean then that the A7II will have the same sensor reflection issues, what with it having the same sensor?

20. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Most people say it was corrected. Even though it's the same sensor, they may have changed coatings, aa filter, or glass on the stack. Don't really know how they did it, but most agree something was done.

I should add that it is just better. It is still visible in some images. The A7II handles reflections more like an OG A7r.

• Informative Informative x 2