• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Habit Lens

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
For obvious reasons, I have accumulated some 10 lenses...Canon and Nikkors.

In past, generally used but two...a short one (normal) and a slightly longer one (135) for film stuff...what I had, never had a widie...or use...

Am guessing some of us have jillions of lenses...but use but one; maybe two.

Which one or ones, most often? Reasons really not necessary. No need to showoff inventory etc.

Last edited:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
CV 65mm APO-Lanthar f/2.0
CV 40mm Classic Heliar f/2.8

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Impressive...guessing always with...one thing never occurred to me, cost makes for use in proportion...never occurred to me until now.
Nice lenses...have turned green...

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm really trying to rotate my lens use more often as I've got some I haven't shot in quite some time.
What I like:
Nikon Micro Nikkor 55 2.8
Canon LTM 35 2.8
Nikon Series E 100mm
and last but not least Vivitar 70-150 Macro Focusing Zoom.

Last edited:

cheeks69

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
To me it depends on what I'm planning to shoot but these are the one's I use the most-

Macro:
Nikkor AIs 105mm f2.8 for insects
Canon FD 35mm f2 + Vivitar 2X Macro Teleconverter for flowers and other things that don't move :)

Portraits:
Minolta MC Rokkor X 135mm f 2.8
Super Tak 50mm f1.4
Canon FD 35mm f2

Long Exposure:
Minolta MC Rokkor X 24mm f2.8 (just sold it last week)
Sigma (A) 24-35mm f2

Birds:
Minolta MC Rokkor PG 200mm f4.5
Minolta MC Rokkor X 135mm f2.8 + Vivitar 2X Teleconverter

General walkabout lens the Canon FD 35mm f2

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Ever since she arrived, it has been difficult to go out with anything but the Voigtlander 65mm/f2 Macro APO-Lanthar. She is a real beauty.

Before that, I was starting to take the Zony 35/2.8 out a lot, after a fling with a Contax G 90mm and 45mm. I also have a few Minolta lenses collected starting with the NEX-5N, but I don't find myself using them as much these days. In fact, I've thought about selling them as they are decent and should get used instead of sitting in my drawer of lenses. There are a few more in the drawer, but I just never seem to take them with me, so I've thought about selling them, too. Having them all in there every time I open the drawer helps keep my GAS under control - because obviously, I don't need more lenses when I don't use what I have enough, right?

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
To me it depends on what I'm planning to shoot but these are the one's I use the most-

Macro:
Nikkor AIs 105mm f2.8 for insects
Canon FD 35mm f2 + Vivitar 2X Macro Teleconverter for flowers and other things that don't move :)

Portraits:
Minolta MC Rokkor X 135mm f 2.8
Super Tak 50mm f1.4
Canon FD 35mm f2

Long Exposure:
Minolta MC Rokkor X 24mm f2.8 (just sold it last week)
Sigma (A) 24-35mm f2

Birds:
Minolta MC Rokkor PG 200mm f4.5
Minolta MC Rokkor X 135mm f2.8 + Vivitar 2X Teleconverter

General walkabout lens the Canon FD 35mm f2
Kinda way I used to do it with film...but always took one lens on body, one in bag...sort of like last item on list, cept all I ever really used were 50s.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
This makes absolutely no sense at all. :)
I suppose the comment would be distant for collectors...I am more of a user...shooter...besides,
Was only curious.
Indirectly, I think a few of us have collected lots of glass, but only use one or two frequently enough to qualify as "habits," as implied. In short time, I have 10 or so lenses, when in past, with film, maybe had three. Still only used one at a time...get my drift.

Only can use one at a time, per bod...only had/have one bod...tried dual bods once, but was not the best deal.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I have too many, I call mine a habit harem. :D

+1.

But as I've said before, the current favorite is my Olympus 38mm f/1.8 for the a6000. Perfect pairing.

What about a LTM...I know they are a bit larger...? I have the wee 38mm-Z but seems flat compared to the far larger Nikkor...subjective I know and I do BW mostly...but still working on choices, obviously. Course, maybe I have "Nikkor habits?"

Always looking...

Just one othing after another, isn't it?

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Maybe keep to manual focus lenses...not a biggie, but I forgot.

Very interesting...

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Appreciate the help...am going to wean meself...maybe buy one LTM, just to see...but like noted above, old habit, just plod with a couple three and leave the rest for special shots, like the monster 1.2, which I rarely use...all fun anyway.

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I tend to just leave the FE 24-240 on my A7Rii body, and drive around with it in the center console compartment in my car. I'll swap it out for the 16-35/4 for landscape shots. When I do macro I put the Bokina on with an adapter.

I also like the Sony FE 28/2.

I have a pile of adapted vintage lenses that I'm gradually selling, except for certain favorites, like the Bokina and the Minolta 58/1.2.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Takes me awhile...read the above. I have now only 4 basic lenses, well 6, if we include two Sony auto lens that are not used,

I use a 50mm 1.4 Asahi S-Tak - 8 element, which has a crop factor that puts it at 75mm on the A6300. Very handy, I must say.

I also have a 35mm Nikkor 2.0 OC that works to be close to "normal" with crop factor...was usually on but the above Tak has gradually move in.

I also carry a 135mm Ashahi 2.5 Tak (outlier 6-element.) It is nice but do not use much...yet.

I plan to use with a 2.0 tele-converter on one project.

Being an old Nikkor dodger, I still keep the 50mm 1.4 lens (used with F) in base bag...just cannot let it go...but love its comforts.

The two automatics a 1.8 Sony and a wide/smaller...19mm (Sigma??) exc offbrand lens (???) I leave at home...preferring manual.

Life is simple, life is good, most of the time, until I hit a small wall.

I mostly shoot for BW and had planned to begin to process using "Capture One for Sony," but "Capture One" is being dim, or the firm it hired to handle distribution is not customer oriented-refuse to download, so I will get even, then use different vendor...and why no examples offered.

I think "Capture One" outfit suffers "extreme tunnel vision" and do not recommend them! Too much bullroar!

Last edited:

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
For a start I'm an extremely indecisive person! I try to use all of my lenses and generally keep them to hand on my table. I think if I had to pick one lens it would have to be the Leica 50mm Summilux. I'm definitely a 50mm shooter and immediately feel comfortable with this lens length. I bought the 35mm 1.4 ZA for my A7RIII but feel like a fish out of water with it so have to force myself to use it.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Mirrors we are. Being "Harem" free, self once managed by lenses is now run by me.

Hook up the glass and shoot accordingly.

Simple...Good enough for Cartier, what can I say?

Last edited:

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
Due to my kind of photography manual focus lenses between 35mm and 50mm suit my needs best. These days I'm using 21mm a lot because I participate in a challenge on another forum, but it only proves that it's hardly ever suitable for what I do. I kind of come back each time to the Zeiss Loxia 2/35mm despite having other viable options like the Sony FE 2.8/35, Voigtländer FE 1.2/40, Zeiss Loxia 2/50 and Sony FE 1.8/50.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I used to have a full set of primes but now only 3 zooms.
I use the 24-105 most often, the 12-24 when I want wide and occasionally the 70-300.

Latest threads

Top Bottom