Showcase Habit Lens

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dig that...I am sorta opposite, auto seems far away...and I must like the images the Nikkors produce and persist with them, even though I love the Takumar also. Maybe I need to use the Taks and others more often?

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I finally decided to use the Nikkors only, again, and put the two Asahis on eBay, the 50 and the 135. Less guilt' less confusion, simple and consistent, I hope.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The lens that I will grab most times is the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron which I frequently use on both my A7iii and A6400 cameras. I only use my Legacy lenses when I want/need creative renditions...

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
Even before I made the switch from Nikon to Sony I knew that macro was something that I really love to shoot, so of course the day I bought the A7R IV I also bought the 90mm f/2.8 macro and the 50mm f/2.8 macro lenses. That day I also impulsively ignored practicality and bought the 135mm f/1.8 rather than the 24-105mm I'd intended to get. Now I've added two more lenses to my little Sony "family," the 200-600mm and just today, the 85mm f/1.8. It's been interesting, starting from scratch with lenses and the camera body, as my Nikon gear had been accumulated over years and included "legacy" lenses and various interesting other lenses (most often macro) with the F-mount. I let go of all of that because I really did not want to mess with adapters trying to use some of those lenses on my A7R IV. Also, I'm not exactly getting any younger and my aging eyes really appreciate autofocus more than ever.

So.....I've had the camera and the first three lenses since November. It's absolutely a no-brainer to say that the lens for which I reach most often is definitely that prized 90mm f/2.8 macro. I lusted after it for so long and now that I have it I am really, really pleased with its performance. Love it! I had bought the 50mm macro thinking that there are times when a physically shorter, smaller lens moving in a little closer to the subject can be helpful, but to be honest I've only used that lens a handful of times so far. When I open the armoire where they are stored, the 90mm macro all but leaps into my hands....she's definitely my "habit" lens. :)

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Regular
I only own five or six lenses. I generally take three out with me, in a compact, easily-carried shoulder bag. At a concert, it is the FE85 1.8 that spends the most time on my a6500.

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Now down to 3 nikkors 50/1.4, 135/2.8 and 35/2.0 latter is on body...

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Forgot to mention that I "cheat" sort of...I always carry my Lumix TS- Point and Shoot for quick snaps, and if time permits, use the A6300...little sucker gets lots of use. Beats phone all to hell.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I only own five or six lenses. I generally take three out with me, in a compact, easily-carried shoulder bag. At a concert, it is the FE85 1.8 that spends the most time on my a6500.

View attachment 107266
Thad, +1 but, alas, I admit I just had to get a 50 1.8 compact Nikkor to try, which adds to "lens harem" (WNG).

Still, store the A6300-bod and 3 lenses in bag in car (wide, middle and 135mm). Small bag helps limit load. Might add one tele-extender to double the 135 (actually 170mm, considering crop factor) if needed...figuring crop for all, and why I use the old 35mm 2.0 most.

We think alike in distant places together...but still have trusty Lumix P & I for snaps, rain...etc.

Now the 50x1.4 in house, not bag. Will see if 1.8 works as expected.

Always avoiding the bulk/weight of older lenses (with adapters) and use manual always, renders old "grabs."

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Reading back over all these posts since it started is interesting. I can honestly say I'm moving more towards the auto focus side of the scales as my eyes age. I've succomed to the goodness of the 24-105 also. It may weigh more than a couple of primes, but it is so good at all the focal lengths it covers it is hard to leave it unattached to a camera. I still have the Micro Nikkor in my bag, along with the 100mm Series E. I should probably take them out to lighten the load. My A7's with the 28, 28-70 and 24-105 should do it, but I'm itching for one more and probably a prime that does macro well.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Reading back over all these posts since it started is interesting. I can honestly say I'm moving more towards the auto focus side of the scales as my eyes age. I've succomed to the goodness of the 24-105 also. It may weigh more than a couple of primes, but it is so good at all the focal lengths it covers it is hard to leave it unattached to a camera. I still have the Micro Nikkor in my bag, along with the 100mm Series E. I should probably take them out to lighten the load. My A7's with the 28, 28-70 and 24-105 should do it, but I'm itching for one more and probably a prime that does macro well.
AoA, I still have eye probs, but the focus thingy on the Sony ( drew me in) And I have learned to love it...

Call it old school, but I cannot use auto, save P&i snaps. Guess I like the renderings of these old manual Nikkors, to which I have grown accustomed.

Wish to encourage you, but learned long ago not to give out advice re lenses...we all have such different prisms. One persons fun is too often another's grief...just have to learn to respect that, which too many do not.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I've challenged myself to learn how to use my Sony lenses in as manual a mode as possible.
I still use the manual focus lenses when I find myself getting too lazy and using the A7's as point 'n shoots.
I find it interesting to see what the shooting settings are when on Auto. Sometimes the ISO setting is something I never would have thought of using.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I've challenged myself to learn how to use my Sony lenses in as manual a mode as possible.
I still use the manual focus lenses when I find myself getting too lazy and using the A7's as point 'n shoots.
I find it interesting to see what the shooting settings are when on Auto. Sometimes the ISO setting is something I never would have thought of using.
Settings on auto can certainly get wild...I gave up on trying to figure them out to check them I )think) I understand where you are coming from. I am not so sophiticated a photog.
I guess I shoot more of habit than as intent. Still, I see a certain something, it stops me short and am groping....

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
What I'd like to do is take a series of documentary photo's of my Leica M3 and other old cameras.
What I'm experimenting with is how to get the depth of field deep enough to show the details of the camera.
Along those lines I took this picture this morning. I'm planning on using a similar setup/staging
to do the Leica pics. I think I've got the DoF to where it'll work now.
This is a 30 second exposure.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
This is, no doubt, a dumb question, which is why I'm going to ask it, as I might learn something... Couldn't you have just added light?
There are no dumb questions. Somebody a lot smarter than I said that once.

Yes, but when you add light you also introduce shadows which I don't want and don't want to have to deal with either. It also would add reflections too, which is my next 'hurdle'. I also need to choose a back ground color which will work well with the black/chrome of the camera.
Suggestions welcome. I have a number of different back ground clothes available thanks to my son-in-law. I'm leaning towards a grey right now, but have white, black, purple, blue etc too.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Adding more light doesn't necessarily increase the DoF either, I don't think. I re-took that shot at ISO 100 and it turned out better as that is the ISO the camera was designed to work best at. (I think I read that on DXo or someplace like that)

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
There are no dumb questions. Somebody a lot smarter than I said that once.

Yes, but when you add light you also introduce shadows which I don't want and don't want to have to deal with either. It also would add reflections too, which is my next 'hurdle'. I also need to choose a back ground color which will work well with the black/chrome of the camera.
Suggestions welcome. I have a number of different back ground clothes available thanks to my son-in-law. I'm leaning towards a grey right now, but have white, black, purple, blue etc too.
View attachment 110166
AoA, there are rolls and sheets of 18% gray, which can be employed as back drops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom