Showcase Habit Lens

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I’ve been refining my lens kit for a while, after a vintage lens binge period. I’m now using mostly manual lenses on my A7Rii and AF lenses on my a6000 (though will cross-pollinate when necessary). This kit is finally small enough to be easily managed in my work bag or sling bag. Typically, I’ll have three lenses* and my A7Rii in my work bag that is always with me.

The manual lenses I use most:
*Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 (walkabout lens)
*Minolta Rokkor.W 24mm f2.8 (landscapes)
*Tokina ATX-Pro SD 80-200mm f2.8 (landscapes, sports, portraits, wildlife)
Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.4 (creative play with color and bokeh, pinch hits as a fun street lens)

AF lenses, mostly on the a6000 (which I use mostly when hiking, biking or skiing):
Sigma 16mm f1.4
Sony 50mm f1.8

Lenses that mostly sit in the bag, but see occasional use:

Industar-69 (artsy fun)
Sony 16-50 kit lens (traveling light or when the kids want to shoot)

If I had to say what lens I use most, I would have to say the 24mm Minolta is most commonly what’s parked on the A7Rii. I seem to have shifted from nearly always shooting around the 50mm length to a wider angle perspective of late. Maybe because the time of year lends itself to landscapes for me?

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I've been assembling a collection of manual focus e-mount Voigtlander primes - 40mm, 65mm, and 110mm. I also have a manual Tokina 20mm but I may replace that with one of the Voigtlander 21mm options, because I just really enjoy their lenses. Then I received literally minutes ago a Tamron 28-75mm zoom, because sometimes and particularly for family events one needs automatic features. But I prefer manual for most things. This could change as I am getting older if my keeper rate goes down.

I've reluctantly sold most everything else I had accumulated to fund the above. Even used this was a stretch for my finances, but I am pretty happy with the image quality I am seeing. In trying to decide what to do about the wide end, I tried to leave the Tokina mounted on the camera for a few days. I was rather surprised to find I am not as fond of really wide angles as I thought - it is not easy to shoot wide well, at least for me. I still want to keep something wider than the 40mm around, and would like to try astro, so maybe I will just keep the Tokina 20mm. Or perhaps the newish 24mm Sony - it looks really good.

I still have a smattering of vintage Minolta mount glass most of which I will probably ebay because I likely will not use it much and it is a shame to see it sitting unused in the drawer.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I could easily answer this question in regard to my Canon DSLR cameras... A 7D2 with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 6D2 with 70-200mm f/4L IS. However, although I own the Sony 70-200mm f/4 G lens, it is not my favorite travel lens for my A6400 and A6500 cameras. Probably the 85mm f/1.8 Sony combined with the 30mm f/1.4 Sigma would be my travel choice. Throw in the Rokinon 12mm f/2 for when I need to go wide....

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Am more like bdbits...do not use, get it to persons who will use...like some, am down to where I just shoot and forego picking and choosing, even with the occacional problem, it is more fun...to me.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I use mostly a 1.4 50 and have noticed I use the 135 less and less, being the crop factor of theses older manual lenses makes the old 50 a very decent portrait lens. But, I do whip out the 135mm when needed, like the below swallow tail pic was Asahi, 135 2.5 (200 asa) from a distance. Still adjusting head to digital...have to do with a Nikkor and pick one...but, just recalled, I do have the Nikkor 35mm 2.8 OC usually on body...forgot.

Sorry, forgot to add pic...duh on me!

Attachments

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'll have to amend my answer of earlier. I like shooting cars and for that I've found my Nikkor 24's to be the best. I have two versions of it, one older, one newer. I'm not sure which I like the best though I've read they should be the same, I think. I'd easily favor the older one if it didn't weigh so much more than the newer model. I know it isn't much but at the end of the day a few grams more begins to take a toll on the ol' bod.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Like "Always on Auto," I must amend notes. Fickle me tried out a 50x1.4 Tak (the 8) and loved it, then tried the Tak 135x2 and love it. So, have different dates to hang with (I did keep my Nikkors though), bastardo that I am!

I might add I love Gimp and Silver Efex.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I don't feel bad having an assortment of Legacy glass that only occasionally gets used. After all, most of them are inexpensive enough that if I have one that I don't use for a while, it doesn't seem like I have a whole bunch of money sitting idle.

I am in the process of selling my Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens and have decided not to replace it with the Sony version because of the really limited use I gave the 100-400L lens. Instead, I have a 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens which I use quite often and if I absolutely need the extra reach, I will rent the Sony 100-400mm version.

My local camera shop has a good deal in which I can actually rent a piece of gear; picking it up on Friday and dropping it off on Monday for $40, if I reserve it in advance. I looked at how many times I used the Canon 100-400mm lens and realized that I could rent the lens for my only occasional usage and never come near the price I would have to pay for it.

Besides liquidating my Canon glass, I have sold the e-mount lenses that I really didn't like all that well. I will end up with three APSC lenses: 50mm f/1.8 OSS, 12mm Rokinon and a Viltrox 60mm f/2.8 2:1 ratio Macro, and three full frame lenses: 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron and the Sony 85mm f/1.8 and 70-200mm f/4 G OSS, all of which can do double duty on a crop sensor camera.

I am not a great fan of shooting with wide angle lenses and the 12mm f/2.0 Rokinon is a great little lens and will (at 18mm equivalent) do me for my wide needs.

I am pretty well set with my lens lineup but, just might look into the size and weight of the upcoming 70-180mm f2.8 (I think) Tamron lens. If the form factor and the price justifies it, I may switch from the Sony 70-200mm to the Tamron. I purchased the Sony 70-200mm lens used, at a good price, and would lose little, if any money selling it. If I don't have to pay a lot more for the Tamron and if the form factor of that lens is considerably smaller than the Sony, it will be a good choice for me...

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Dig that! I messed around, obviously, even tried a small Oly F 1.8 (close lug distance) but settled down now to the two Taks and the two Nikkors. Life is good. Might take the girls out later.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
There really is no right or wrong lens (combo). It's a personal pursuit. Use what works best for you and makes it fun.

To update my post, for full frame, my habit lens is actually a zoom. oh my! :-o My Tamron SP 01A 35-80mm f/2.8-3.8 is seeing the most time on the body.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Richard, dig that. I have some 30 rolls of film, some from 1930s (mom) and afraid to process for the potential to ruin them. I fear chemicals and time...I want to develop and scan them. Hate scanning.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
And here I take delivery of a 50x1.4 Nikkor I forgot I ordered ("for daughter") now have 3 "nifties?" Need to get organized...

But, was nice and clean for old manual...happy me and daughter...

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
Depends very much on the subject.
Numbers wise most of my shots are AF, with either the standard kit or telephoto zoom lenses for my older systems (MFT & Pentax DSLR), but with my two E-mount bodies I only use adapted lenses.

Quirky lenses are often among my favourites, so the tiny Industar 50 (a collapsing 50mm/3.5), 24mm/2.8 from the Pentax Auto 110 & a Somewhat bulkier 50mm/1.2 projector lens are certainly included.
No doubt I will eventually get some native e-mount lenses, but I don't see it as a priority.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Thought all this time had stuck in image...not...so here 'tis...with Asahi Tac 8-element 50x1.4) I just like it even if in color. A "Swallowtail" (Scissortail). But, could have been the 135mm 8-element x 2.5 forgot ref.
YST1484ab.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I seem to use the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 as well as the APSC Sony 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS lenses most often. But, I still absolutely love the Sony 50mm f/2.8 OSS and Sony 85mm f/1.8 lenses for people shooting...

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Dig, So subjective...I vacillate between Nikkors and Asahis...just trying to squeeze best of either. I have a Sony auto 1.8 something that I did not know I had and never use...with the 6300. I do not like changing lenses when snapping...

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
My "habit lens" depends on the body I'm using (Olympus, Fuji, or Sony) but all are 35-50 mme. I will usually sacrifice speed for size. I would really like this lens to be the new Sigma 45 for my A7R3. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have tended to use the Sony e-mount Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens on either my full frame of crop factor cameras and could almost live with that as my only lens. However, the "ALMOST Factor" opens the door for a bunch more lenses both, prime and zoom.

I could definitely live with a combination of the Tamron along with Sony 85mm f/1.8 and 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS and Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 lenses...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom