Showcase Habit Lens

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I’ve been refining my lens kit for a while, after a vintage lens binge period. I’m now using mostly manual lenses on my A7Rii and AF lenses on my a6000 (though will cross-pollinate when necessary). This kit is finally small enough to be easily managed in my work bag or sling bag. Typically, I’ll have three lenses* and my A7Rii in my work bag that is always with me.

The manual lenses I use most:
*Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 (walkabout lens)
*Minolta Rokkor.W 24mm f2.8 (landscapes)
*Tokina ATX-Pro SD 80-200mm f2.8 (landscapes, sports, portraits, wildlife)
Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.4 (creative play with color and bokeh, pinch hits as a fun street lens)

AF lenses, mostly on the a6000 (which I use mostly when hiking, biking or skiing):
Sigma 16mm f1.4
Sony 50mm f1.8

Lenses that mostly sit in the bag, but see occasional use:

Industar-69 (artsy fun)
Sony 16-50 kit lens (traveling light or when the kids want to shoot)

If I had to say what lens I use most, I would have to say the 24mm Minolta is most commonly what’s parked on the A7Rii. I seem to have shifted from nearly always shooting around the 50mm length to a wider angle perspective of late. Maybe because the time of year lends itself to landscapes for me?

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
I've been assembling a collection of manual focus e-mount Voigtlander primes - 40mm, 65mm, and 110mm. I also have a manual Tokina 20mm but I may replace that with one of the Voigtlander 21mm options, because I just really enjoy their lenses. Then I received literally minutes ago a Tamron 28-75mm zoom, because sometimes and particularly for family events one needs automatic features. But I prefer manual for most things. This could change as I am getting older if my keeper rate goes down.

I've reluctantly sold most everything else I had accumulated to fund the above. Even used this was a stretch for my finances, but I am pretty happy with the image quality I am seeing. In trying to decide what to do about the wide end, I tried to leave the Tokina mounted on the camera for a few days. I was rather surprised to find I am not as fond of really wide angles as I thought - it is not easy to shoot wide well, at least for me. I still want to keep something wider than the 40mm around, and would like to try astro, so maybe I will just keep the Tokina 20mm. Or perhaps the newish 24mm Sony - it looks really good.

I still have a smattering of vintage Minolta mount glass most of which I will probably ebay because I likely will not use it much and it is a shame to see it sitting unused in the drawer.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I could easily answer this question in regard to my Canon DSLR cameras... A 7D2 with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 6D2 with 70-200mm f/4L IS. However, although I own the Sony 70-200mm f/4 G lens, it is not my favorite travel lens for my A6400 and A6500 cameras. Probably the 85mm f/1.8 Sony combined with the 30mm f/1.4 Sigma would be my travel choice. Throw in the Rokinon 12mm f/2 for when I need to go wide....

bobbill

TalkEmount Regular
Am more like bdbits...do not use, get it to persons who will use...like some, am down to where I just shoot and forego picking and choosing, even with the occacional problem, it is more fun...to me.

bobbill

TalkEmount Regular
I use mostly a 1.4 50 and have noticed I use the 135 less and less, being the crop factor of theses older manual lenses makes the old 50 a very decent portrait lens. But, I do whip out the 135mm when needed, like the below swallow tail pic was Asahi, 135 2.5 (200 asa) from a distance. Still adjusting head to digital...have to do with a Nikkor and pick one...but, just recalled, I do have the Nikkor 35mm 2.8 OC usually on body...forgot.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'll have to amend my answer of earlier. I like shooting cars and for that I've found my Nikkor 24's to be the best. I have two versions of it, one older, one newer. I'm not sure which I like the best though I've read they should be the same, I think. I'd easily favor the older one if it didn't weigh so much more than the newer model. I know it isn't much but at the end of the day a few grams more begins to take a toll on the ol' bod.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom