1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 or NEX-7 which should I keep??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by eggshen, Jul 8, 2013.

1. eggshen

eggshen New to TalkEmount

Jul 8, 2013
    So I just picked up a new Nex-7 with kit lens for $650 which is a great price and now I have 2 weeks to decide if I should keep it and sell my GX1 or not.

I will be selling my GX1 (black Gariz half case), LVF2, 20mm, 45-200mm and 14-45mm and hopefully break close to even on the upgrade. Only problem is that I am stuck with no extra lenses for a while.

Do you guys feel that the upgrade is worth the hassle or should I just keep the GX1 and return the Nex-7?

I am new to these boards so hello to everyone!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. :)

Which camera best suits your shooting style? Which camera has the lenses you need for your shooting style? Is the GX-1 somehow lacking or were you just looking for something new with the NEX 7? Did you want to get into manual focus lenses?

Answer those questions (and others I can't think of at the moment) and you'll know which camera to keep. ;)

3. eggshen

Jul 8, 2013
    I mainly shoot my GX1 with my 20mm prime. Street, low light shots and macro. I almost never use the kit zoom and recently started using the telephoto for shooting action sports shots which is becoming more of an interest for me. I don't use manual focus lenses right now but I can see that becoming part of my kit in the future. I only upgraded because the price was too good to pass up and I like the IQ of the Nex-7 better and the action, the dials are great!!!

I hope this is enough info if not let me know.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My last µ4/3 camera was the GX1, after having used the G1, GH2, and GF3. But my NEX-6 has far better IQ, both in low light shooting and dynamic range compared to any of them. 9 months after making the switch I have no regrets. So my advice is obvious: keep the NEX-7.

5. eggshen

Jul 8, 2013
    Thanks!! How hard was it for you to adjust to the Sony UI?? So far it's a bit funky for me LOL.

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Can't speak to the GX1, but after I had set the NEX-7 up a convenient way for me, I rarely need to delve into the menus. I think the only things I need to go into the menu for are Formatting the SD card and turning off stabilization for tripod work., not really things that essential to get done quickly.

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It almost made my head explode. Sony's UI designers are from another planet, and were sent here to drive us all mad before the alien invasion. :dash2:

But I have the NEX-6. And from what I've read, the NEX-7 is easier to use.

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You never need the menu after you assigned all the functions you need to the soft buttons you like.

Btw., when you liked the Pana 20mm, you'd love the 24mm Sonnar on your NEX-7. Maybe you find it for a great price too.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Agreed. The only reason I still have a M43 camera is that I can't get anyone to pay more than lunch money for it. So I might as well keep it.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I guess I'm one of the rare people that never had a problem with the Sony UI from the start. It's really no different from using any modern electronic device. The UI on the E-P1 though, I had to break out the manual for that one and I never use manuals.

How'd you get the NEX 7 so cheap? Best Buy open box?

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Except, of course, for the two Colin mentioned, to which I will add focus peaking adjustments. Had they made those three items, which I access at least once during the average shoot, more easily accessible, I'd be less inclined to believe that Sony designed their menus using a random position algorithm.

12. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True. But really, once you know where everything is it's not that hard to find what you need.

13. eggshen

Jul 8, 2013
    Yup Best Buy open box deal. $599 plus tax.