1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Guess what I've got? MetaBones Speedbooster!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by kaptnkain, Feb 19, 2013.

1. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Hey guys,

Just picked up a SpeedBooster for a 2 week rental period. Going to try out as many lenses as I can get my hands on.

To start off, Nikon 50mm F/1.2 AI-S:

Kitty Love - MetaBones Speedbooster by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

I'll be starting a little database with lenses I've tested and my notes and observations with them in the first post.

Nikon:

Nikkor 50mm F/1.2 AI-S - Pretty heavy vignetting and distortion in corners. Sharpness at F/1.2 has increased pretty significantly due to the compressed image.

Canon:

Other:

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Aahh, insanely cool...

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I'll be looking forward to this

4. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    So far the Nikon is showing a lot of distortion and vignetting in the corners. I think it's just the lens, but I'm not 100% sure.

5. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    was the cats, a nikon F2 at F1.2 with the booster

6. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    No, the cats were shot with a Nikon 50mm F/1.2. Relatively to the crop sensor, the lens is at F/.8. But not really because it's all relative. For all intents and purposes, I'm shooting a 50mm F/1.2 with a 1.1x crop camera (instead of 1.5x).

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  8. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    I'll keep a database in the first post of all lenses I test. If anyone with a speedbooster wants to jump in, feel free!

I have Nikon 50mm 1.4G and 85mm 1.8D next, followed by Canon 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, and 70-300 IS USM. After that we will see.

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm looking forward to your pictures! As far as I've seen so far, the best thing about it is this "full frame look", while it vignettes a little bit and you loose corner sharpness - so totally awesome for portraits, not so for landscapes, it seems.

10. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have one and posted a few photos before. I don't have too many Canon lenses but AF works (slowly) with 28-135mm and 70-300 IS lenses. The rest of third party lenses, Sigma and Tamron, do not autofocus but IS might work. I prefer to use with other manual lenses, as I have adapters for Canon EF mount...

Here is previous post:
    https://www.talkemount.com/f20/pic-day-2107/index15.html#post20551

One with Zeiss c/y 50mm 1.4:
    8443893964_6071a75295_b.

That is my experience also. Corner sharpness depends on the lens and it can improve by stopping down. It all depends on the distance between the lens glass and SB per designer's comments... It is optimized for wide open fast lenses, shallow dof shots, not for landscapes.

Attached Files:

11. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Here are a few from today. The SB + Nikkor 50mm F/1.2 really has some character. It's not optically perfect and I would have a hard time justifying $600 but I'd think about it.

F/1.2

[​IMG]

F/1.2

[​IMG]

F/2

[​IMG]

F/2

[​IMG]

12. rungunshoot

rungunshoot TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    I've got the Speed Booster on my NEX-5n. Bear in mind that I'm only a video shooter. But here are some still frames from a recent shoot. The normal lens stuff is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 pancake; the wide shots are Nikon 24mm f/2. I used a Fotodiox ring to adapt the Speed Booster to my lenses. Available light.

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    This thing is going to be available in C/Y mount, right? Ah, man… [sigh]

14. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Yes, actually. They just released a version.

Here's one more from today with the 50mm F/1.2

When We Escape by I.Cherkasov, on Flickr

15. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  16. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver

@kaptnkain do you still need the adapter or just put speedbooster on nex and ready to go? would u mind taking some pics of the speedbooster? thanks

17. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    What adapter? With the Nikkor I'm using the SpeedBooster on the NEX, and the Nikkor on the Speedbooster using a Fotodiox Nikon F to EF converter.

18. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Here are a few links showing the nex+adapter+lenses (I guess w/ ef mount):

CV 40mm 2.0
    Metabones Speed Booster - FM Forums

FD85mm, Nikkor 20mm, Rokkor 50mm 1.2, Rokkor 85mm 1.2, Distagon 35mm 1.4
    Metabones Speed Booster - FM Forums

Canon 50L 1.2:
    Photototo: Metabones Speed Booster Review (NEX 7) Part III - Canon EF 50 f1.2 L USM

You can use multiple adapters, eg I use it with olympus om, c/y, m42, and nikon adapters on ef mount SB. Only problem with that is that the cheaper adapters increase the chance of misalignment. 2 nikon adapters that I tried were wobbly. The cheaper Fotodiox adapter is better of the two. I had less problems with other mount adapters.

Here is currently available SB adapters, you can also see the photos of the adapters:
    http://www.metabones.com/buy-speed-booster

19. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    nikkor speed booster to nex pictures

20. kaptnkain

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    It's not released yet. There's only C/Y to NEX, ALPA to NEX, EF to NEX, and Leica R to NEX at this point.