1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Grey Days In Maine

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, Aug 16, 2018.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    My apologies for the long lead, but I think back story may actually be better than the images.

So I always wanted to go to Maine. I admired images of the lighthouses, rocky shores, cliffs and amazing sunrises.

The proposed trip
    • Wife - Guess what baby, I'm going to treat you to a trip to Maine. Just me and you for a few days and you can do all the photography hunting by day, and we'll wine and dine by night.
    • Me - :yahoo:
    • Me - Wait we haven't had a trip alone since we had the kids 14 years ago. :hmmm:
    • Wife - I got it covered. Kids stay with my sister
    • Me - What about the Fifi (dog)?
    • Wife - Got it covered. Fifi goes to doggie hotel.
    • Me - :cloud-9-039:
    My imagination goes crazy. I'll hit about 3 different lighthouses. One each day. I'll get get up before sunrise and catch epic sunrises. :dance3:

The actual trip

• I check the weather forecasts and everyday is projected to have a lot rain and overcast. I think this can't be happening.
    • Wife - BTW - the kids will have to come with us. Sitter fell through, plus they haven't really done much this summer.
    • Me - They're staying in the room with us?
    • Wife - Yes
    • Me - :cautious:
    • We start the trip and stop at the doggie hotel to drop off Fifi.
    • Worker - Let's see her medical history.
    • we hand her the papers
    • Worker - Oh according to this, she's missing one of her shots. Sorry we can't accept her unless you can prove she got all her shots.
    • Wife - It's fine, Fifi can come with us. The hotel accepts dogs.
    • Me - :doh:
    • Fifi - :yahoo:
    • Me - So me, you, 2 teenage girls and Fifi will share a hotel room?
    • Wife - It's a suite.
    • Me - :dash2:
    The weather forecasts were right for once. It rained everyday and was grey for the interment dry spells. I went out to the closest lighthouse (Portland Head Light) everyday a 5am hoping for some luck, but over the 3 days there wasn't even a hint of a sunrise. I even sneaked out midday among the tourists and usually went scurrying back to the car as the rain came. :frown:

In the end, I guess nature must have wanted the Walters family to spend some quality time together, because to my surprise, that was actually the highlight of the trip; even Fifi! :rolleyes: 

Aside from the family pics, here's what I could muster. I thought it was appropriate to go mostly B&W.

20180814-_DSC7500-Edit-3-Edit.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20180813-_DSC7402-Edit-Edit-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

20180812-_DSC7290-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

20180812-_DSC7318-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

20180813-_DSC7380-Pano-2-Edit-Edit-3-Edit-Edit.jpg

20180813-_DSC7429-Pano-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

20180813-_DSC7424-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

20180812-_DSC7277-Edit-2.jpg

20180813-_DSC7436-Edit-Edit.jpg

20180813-_DSC7409-Edit-Edit.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Haha, great story! And I like the moody pictures too, these days I tend to stay at home when the sun shines and go out taking pictures in cloudy weather, preferably when it has been raining.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :laugh:

Hey, I think you got some great shots there, Gary. Especially #2. And if it makes you feel any better, my wife and I tried to escape the incessant smoke here (more than a month of unhealthy or hazardous air now) by heading out to the coast with the dogs. It was foggy and drizzly out there, the dogs both puked in my car, and I didn't come back with a single image. :rolleyes-20:

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done. Nice moody images

5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    Great story telling Gary!
    Good pictures too. Who said you need sunshine to make nice photos anyways?
    You should feel lucky that your wife even thought about the getaway for the two of you, even though it didn't turn out 'as planned'.

6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Lol. The funny thing is I forgot that part. Fifi puked in my car on the way back too. I guess I was subconsciously trying to forget that part. :roflmao:

Thanks David, Dave, Ad, and AlwaysOn.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Not only a good photographer but a good story teller as well! Beautiful shots of a very beautiful state. In 2013, my wife and I visited Bal Harbor and Acadia National Park. Love the light houses, coast line, and lobster. The ship I served on (USS Josephus Daniels DLG-27) was built in Bath Main. I made it a point to visit that ship yard.

Thanks for the memories and sharing your work!

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I wanted to rate this "Funny" but didn't 'cause I feel the frustration of the landscape photographer not getting the shots behind the otherwise funny storytelling :D 
    Nevertheless, spending time with the family is priceless.

And although you didn't get light, photos came out great. I agree with David @WoodWorks@WoodWorks : #2 is the best of the set! Excellent composition! Now, only if there was light, lol :D 
    I also like the last one

Seems like we were both chasing lighthouses this August during our vacations :D 

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Fifi: Woof! (then Barf!)
    Haha! What a great back-end narrative to the set of photos! BTDT, so I feel your frustration. But the lemons yielded lemonade, even if it came with a little dog puke! :D 
    The shots are all winners! They really capture the feel of the sea in New England. The B&Ws are gallery quality! Awesome!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks and Yes I noticed that. Can’t beat the light you got though.

Lol and thanks gor the compliment Will. Really appreciate it.

Thank you and I’m glad I was able to evoke some good memories.

11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Love the story! I can relate.

Photos are top notch, there is something about gray weather and lighthouses and you did a great job capturing it! :2thumbs:

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Excellent photos, Gary! The light cutting through the fog in the first one is just perfect. We've had a lot of gray days in New England, lately. Today is another one.

Story of my life :rofl:.

13. orlcam88

orlcam88 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Wait, your dog's name is Fifi?

funny story Gary! The only good thing about taking photos on gray days is that you don't have to worry much about color correction! These are nice photos. #2 is the standout but I do like how the colors snap in the last one. I'm not sure if it's because it's the last one of the series and then boom, colors!! but I did scroll up and down a few times to see if my sensory perception is being affected by the change. naaah, I didn't do that.

I'm going to assume that you was out voted when it came to naming the dog. Don't reply, I just want that as the reason and I'm sticking with that.

14. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    LOL

I had very specific instructions on everything about Fifi. When you’re the only guy in a house of women, you learn to pick your battles wisely. The name of a small fluffy white dog is not a battle to engage in because it’s already been lost. Daddy’s job was to pay for her and make the girls happy.

That said, I wouldn’t trade Fifi for any dog now.

C332EE33-3787-412B-8CCD-52A9FA5ED498.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh, I would just love to see you running around the neighborhood, chasing a little, fluffy pooch, yelling “FIFI!” at the top of your lungs. :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 6
  17. robfactory

robfactory TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    Great shots. It's also nice to meet Fifi.

18. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Words of wisdom. Been there, done that. I have two grown daughters. Even most of our cats have been female. Resistance is futile.

• Funny Funny x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.