1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Greetings from Coachella Valley, CA ~ New NEX-6 owner

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by MindTrigger, Jan 10, 2013.

1. MindTrigger

MindTrigger New to TalkEmount

Jan 10, 2013
    Cory
    Hey, everyone.

My NEX-6 was delivered yesterday, and I am stoked. I made the decision to retire my ten year old Canon DSLR recently. I was originally planning to get a Canon t4i to replace it. I've been busy with other things over the last few years, so I haven't paid attention to what was evolving in the MILC section of the camera industry. I was blown away when I started doing my research and getting caught up a couple weeks ago. One thing that stood out in my mind was how often I simply did not want to bring my DSLR with me just because of the size/bulk. Many times it just stayed home. I think the NEX is going to change that. The small size of this thing sitting next to my Canon is mind boggling.

At any rate, here I am, eager to get started with my NEX and begin investing in primes. I sure hope Sony is committed to this e-mount for a long time. I almost purchased an OM-D EM-5 and went micro 4/3 instead because of this concern. In the end, I think I made the right choice with this sensor. At least until full-frame becomes more affordable. (RX1 $2700... ouch)

My first lens purchase will be the now popular Sigma 30mm F2.8 prime. I hope to get that big Zeiss 24mm eventually, but I have to buy a MakerBot 3D printer first. ;)

Looking forward to your posts on the boards.

~MT

2. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hi and welcome aboard the NEX(t) generation!

I just got mine this week too and for the exact same reason you state. I also came from a Canon DSLR and agree, I'm sure I'll use this camera a lot more & hope to fall back in love with photography!

I'm also after the Sigma 30mm and possibly the 19mm too (or SONY 16mm pancake, haven't decided yet). But what really intrigues me is getting hold of some old FD primes!!!

Enjoy your new camera, and we all look forward to your future posts and pics! :D

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome Cory, I expect that like everyone else here you'll find you made a fine choice going with the NEX. :)

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome to the NexNutter's world, Cory! :)

Haha me too - I NEEEEED a MakerBot 3D Printer like really really bad, lol!! (But it's too small for what I need, still waiting for a slightly larger version)

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Custom lens hoods specific to a legacy lens would be uber cool. ;)

6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Congrats on the purchase.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1

And welcome to the board ;)

8. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    +1
    And welcome aboard!

9. MindTrigger

MindTrigger New to TalkEmount

Jan 10, 2013
    Cory
    Thanks for the welcomes all. I'm looking forward to hanging out here a long time. I'll be taking this camera on some hikes soon.

10. Derichuk

Derichuk TalkEmount Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Deric
    Welcome, I am sure you will love your new Nex!