Greentoe - it may work, but be careful and plan ahead

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amamba, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Their own website features "testimonials" from the customers who say they saved 25-30% off going market price. So, I try the first product. 35 /1.8 OSS. Lens sells on Amazon for $448 and quite often there are $398 sales. I figure 20% off $448 is $358, offer them $370. They emailed me that I am way too low and offered it for $419. A whopping 7% savings and most likely a return headache if there's any problem with decentering or what not. Then I try another product. Sigma 19/2.8, currently on sale at B&H for $169. I offer $140. The reply - "we're overwhelmed at the time, please hang tight, will get back within 24 hours". Here's the kicker... you can't delete your offer once posted. And you're under obligation to buy your item if your offer is accepted. So, now I have to wait for a day, and my offer is active for two more days, in the meantime the sale at B&H may end or they will run out of stock. So, be careful and plan ahead... not saying it's a bad service - but know what you're getting into. Don't bid if there's a sale going on, unless you're sure you can wait for 3 days.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks! But on B&H, I don't see the sale you mentioned??

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I tried 3 times and yours matches to my experience... I only got one price each time which was higher and never got any other offer to match. They compare to Amazon+tax price and sell at a store discount with no tax. The good thing is it comes from a legit shop...

4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    They are prominently displaying on their Web page a "testimonial from a customer" claiming he saved 25-30% off retail price. The actual saving seems to be more like 7-9%. Still not bad but I wonder what happens when you get a soft copy.

5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, I was advised on another forum that you can change your offer to $0 so you're not technically bound by that 2-7 days period. Unless someone decides to give you a lens for free ;)

So that's a good place to get a small discount.

The question is, would I want to save 7-10% and go with an unknown vendor. After I had to return a malfunctioning lens to some mom & pop store in another state I swore off ever going with anyone but the Big 3 (Amazon, Adorama, B&H). Not a pleasant experience at all. The lens would randomly just lose contact with my Canon body when held in portrait orientation (vertically). Worked fine in landscape orientation. I did get my money back in the end but they accused me of lying to them because that lens functioned on their cameras. I am sure they then sold the same lens to another customer as new. I ended up buying another copy of that lens used and never had an issue with it.

Anyway... I am not saying don't use Greentoe - just relaying my experience.

6. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    I tried Greentoe and never received any response on my offer, which I shrugged off and decided not to try further. A couple weeks later I got a mass email from the CEO "Joe" that he wanted to get feedback on user experiences with the promise that in exchange for feedback he might offer the item at cost or something like that. I had a few minutes so I gave an account of my fairly limited experience and received a one line email that "Andrew" would help me out with that. After I had not heard from Joe or Andrew for about 4-5 days I replied to Joe's one line email to ask how Andrew would help me out. I never heard a response, last message was on 1/27/16.

The ironic thing is that in my feedback my chief complaint was lack of any communication.

I won't be bothering with Greentoe, if I'm going to hand over hundreds of dollars for something, I'd rather do so with a reliable company even if I have to pay a little more.

7. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Well I bought an FE28mm lens through Greentoe. Again, got about 10% off NOT 20% as they advertise. The lens was noticeably softer on the left side of the frame and when Joe the CEO emailed me I asked him how they handled exchanges. No response from Greentoe. But then the actually seller sent me a cryptic email telling me where to ship the lens. One line and the address. Very, very odd. I'll let you know how it goes but for 10% off I'm not sure it is worth it. The shipping to send my lens back will eat up a good chunk of that "savings".

8. Adam B

Adam B TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2015
    I've purchased several items from greentoe. I had a problem once -- where they matched me with a vendor. They relayed the communication that the vendor didn't have it in stock, but if I could wait 1-2 weeks, they'd sell me the lens at 10% off. I agreed, they charged my card. 2 weeks later.. It will be another week. Week later, should be in their next shipment in 1-2 weeks. I ultimately cancelled the order and greentoe refunded me.

My other attempts with greentoe have been more successful. I saved about $150 on the Nikon d750 when it was brand new and nobody else was discounting the USA version. The model was totally authentic -- I've had it serviced by NikonUSA.
    On a couple other items, I've saved 5-10%, with no tax and free shipping.
    Considering I have to pay sales tax from Amazon and B&H (I'm in NY), the greentoe price really does become the cheapest.
    No, the savings aren't huge -- not 20%. But still consistently cheaper than I can get anyplace else unless I go used or grey market.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I would try Amazon Europe. After the conversion to dollars and removal of the European VAT, it's cheaper than buying here in the US. The 35 /1.8 OSS gets pretty close to $370. It is grey market since you will get the European models, but it's Amazon grey market backed by the full faith of Amazon. You still get the A-Z guarantee so worse comes to worse, you can return it.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Provide the link to this deal please.

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Search on Amazon Europe like you would on Amazon US. Make sure you try all the various Amazon Europe country sites. The price can vary. Here's the link for Amazon Germany.

www.amazon.de/Sony-SEL35F18-E-Objektiv-35-OSS/dp/B0096W1P5W

It's 385 euro. Converted into dollars that's $424. But since it will be shipped outside of Europe, the 19% VAT will be removed making it $343. Shipping will cost around $20, putting it in the $370 range the OP was hoping for. Cheaper than ebay from Asia and backed by the full faith of Amazon.

13. Bluedogs

Bluedogs New to TalkEmount

Dec 25, 2015
    Yale
    I purchased a SEL 50 1.8 on greentoe, came from a reliable known US dealer and I had it my hand in 3 days from time of agreed offer. The lens was on sale at the time all over for $249 I offered $199 their first counter was $229 which I declined but left my offer up, two days latter I was offered $215 and I accepted! I felt this was a nice saving and was very happy to see it was a US version and a recognizable seller. Transaction was smooth and easy. I used the Greentoe iPad app. I would not hesitate to buy off Greentoe again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    Just hope your lens doesn't have problems or need to be returned. Less than thrilled with the process thus far, although I was contacted by Greentoe asking if the return had been processed. Which was news to me, I thought the lens was getting replaced/repaired! It could be a cool service if they work out the kinks.

15. Bluedogs

Bluedogs New to TalkEmount

Dec 25, 2015
    Yale
    I hope to not have trouble but the seller that sold me the lens is well known and easy to find contact info for. IMO it's nice to have Greentoe as a backup if there is a problem with the seller I can then involve them. Otherwise I'm on my own.

16. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    Well, I'm happy to report that despite some communication troubles Greentoe (and their partner) came through and replaced the faulty FE28mm. Which is great because I didn't want to deal with a refund and rebuying it. There are still some kinks but i'd be willing to try it again.