1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Greens, Yellows, Whites, Blues, Reds, Verticals, Horizontals, and Angles

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by roundball, Apr 18, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Took a brief walk back through the local Arboretum today...still wasn't much of anything blooming to shoot yet, and as I was actually about to exit the property, I was taken by this combination of colors and elements in this scene:
    Light spring greens & yellows, white clouds & blue sky, and red Japanese Maple. And the perspective I ended up with let all the colors and elements in while keeping out man made structures, power lines, etc.
    ( Mind you, I was at the point where I was about ready to shoot a sewer pipe if I'd have spotted one, so as far as I was concerned this was at least worth shooting. )
    Canon FDn 50/3.5 Macro Lens on NEX-7

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hello roundball.
    Do you run a calibrated monitor screen? On mine I see very toxic greens. It looks like that you went a bit higher on the saturation slider (or vibrance). Nothing wrong with the shot it just renders a bit on the "fake" type of shots on my monitor. Was that your intend?
    Alex

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...I use a laptop and I'm constantly struggling with that.
    To be clear, they are very light/bright spring greens.
    And FWIW, zero Vibrance, and only 5 units of Sat.
    And I hate the looks of over processed colors so I'll tilt the screen to a different angle and try again after lunch, thanks

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I was stuck as you for years... Laptops unfortunately have poor color gamuts.. and if uncalibrated get also very strong offsets in specific channels. Laptop industry wants to sell machines that look nice, shiny and make movies look their best. This is a very different think unfortunately of what as photographers need.
    There are two work arounds you might want to give a try
    1. Buy a color calibrator. It will reduce the color shifts. This is still an improvement
    2. Buy a 200 euros 24 inches external screen. You will be surprised how much you can get from a good (for photography) monitor for photography. Please caution: Not every 200 euros monitor. There are specific models that have decent gamut support (typically though such monitor with the good color reproduction are not good for gaming) and will not break your wallet. If need more info let me know
    Regards
    Alex

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Omg my English. Four nights sleep deprived

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I sent it back through and removed even the little 5 units of Saturation...still Zero Vibrance and now Zero Saturation.
    Its an Arboretum with trees, shrubs, flowers, and plants from all over growing there...still in their early spring stage of just opening up...their colors have zero tweaking in the new photo...its a JPEG, not much else I can do with it so they kind of are what they are.
    In fact, the bright green leafed trees and yellow leafed trees in the scene were what helped catch my eye with the blue & white sky behind them, plus the red Japanese Maple colors in the foreground...

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Roundball I do like this shot but I do agree with Alaios that the colours look over saturated, maybe the jpeg engine just got fooled somehow. Must be difficult on a laptop though, Im going to be in the market for a laptop at the end of this year end the display will be a top priority for me. I just doubt ill be happy with any laptop display after being spoilt with my desktop monitor.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm planning on a new laptop this year as well...this one is now approaching 5 years old (Lenovo Thinkpad T510) and will definitely be researching for whatever possible best screen display there might be.
    ALSO:
    In puzzling over this photo, one of things I've thought about are my NEX-7 settings. In the BRIGHTNESS / COLOR menu, I've had CREATIVE STYLE set to VIVID for at least a good year now.
    And then a few months ago, I began using one of the custom buttons to bump the VIVID feature further, enhancing it by +2 more steps.
    (you know, Type-A personality...if 2 Aspirin are good a whole bottle must be better, right?)
    I'll keep the VIVID setting overall, but will return those +2 Vivid steps back to normal and see how that goes for a few weeks...practically impossible to duplicate the conditions of that moment yesterday, but I'll try to shoot some more spring greens that way shortly.

This is the original...no Lightroom at all:

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I think there's your answer, roundball. With your jpeg settings on VIVID (and then bumping them up even farther), it's like setting your saturation levels to 11 and baking them in. :p And since you only shoot jpegs, you're kind of stuck with what the camera gives you. You might try lowering the saturation below zero in Lightroom, but I don't know that you're going to be able to easily get back to "normal" with a jpeg.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Experimented by lowering both the Vibrance and Saturation and to my surprise, found the controls to be very influential on it even as a JPEG.
    I first tried -20 on both controls but the colors took on a dead 'flat' look.
    Redid it, lowering Vibrance and Saturation by only 10 units and got this result:

• Like Like x 1
  11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    A large improvement on my screen :) maybe the greens still need a little more though and the reds bumped back up slightly. Its all subjective of course.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    This has been a good learning experience for me.
    As a newcomer to Lightroom, then finding after buying it that the general consensus was it can't do much of anything with JPEGs, I pretty much resigned myself to not bother wasting time trying most controls on it with my JPEGs...ie: had never even tried going negative with Vibrance and/or Saturation until this thread.

In addition, the thread got me thinking / remembering I still had the NEX-7 settings on VIVID + 2 more steps of Vivid, which I've now returned to the normal '0' setting.

And lastly, with those couple of discoveries, its also clear now that my laptop was not the root cause of this original problem at all...just an over-aggressive NEX-7 setting and my need to explore other Lightroom options on my own...learn / prove to myself what it can and cannot do for my own JPEGs.

Thanks for everyone's input...

• Like Like x 1