1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Great small TTL flash for A7/7r

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Mathieu Decodts, May 2, 2014.

1. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    So got my new flash today.

Before I start this some context. I have a a7r, a3000 and 5n. I have been using manual flashes (2x yongnuo 560 III and wireless trigger and 2xnewer again wireless) I do all sorts of cool studio set ups, clamshell, Rembrant, you name it, its a flexible kit and I love it.

But..... I really want a leisure (read lazy) set up for snaps on holiday, I dont want to bring manual flashes, take my rogue or lightsphere modifiers, I just want a little ttl flash for my cameras so I can do a tiny amount of fill flash, mostly for catch lights for portraits or fill to complement the amazing low light abilities of my lenses and bodies.

So I have been on the hunt for a small flash that wont look hilarious on my cameras (the young nuo is usable but monstrous on the a7r :) )and can provide a little flexibility for bounce if I have the chance but is good straight on.

and why I am here is because I found one!

Today I got a Metz 24-AF1 for sony mount and put it on the Sony ADP-MAA Hot Shoe Adaptor and onto my A7r. £57 for the flash and £25 for the adapter

first off, it works, camera communicates with the flash, live view take the flash into consideration and it adjusts flash input automatically as it should when aperture changes. I know its proper TTL because it works great with my manual lenses.

anyone interested in results and a few pics here?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Curious how you plan to bounce with a fixed head (I'm always open to new ideas), and to answer your question- yes, post pics. :)

Neverrrrrrrmiiiiiiiiind. I went and looked. Hey, the reflector swivels. How novel!

3. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    yea, not immediately apparent. Should have said that. I am planing a model shoot on Tuesday so I will bring this along and see what I get in professional type use outside. I will get some pictures of it on the camera over the weekend too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that the biggest minus with this Metz is slow recycle speed. Foto-tip sells a clone of it for 36 Euro and I might get it:
    http://foto-tip.pl/en/tumax-dsl-288-af-sony-alpha.html

I think that my needs for it are pretty low but it might be handy when travelling. Metz 24 AF is here in Finland 68 Euro so something is cheaper here than GB.

I am interested about test images. Small flash+Nex+small lens would make small package with much better image quality than compact. For directing the flash I have been thinking about TTL cord and one of these cheap umbrella adapters with cold shoe in bottom and top+ISO to Minolta adapter.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I would recommend the Nissin i40 if you look for a compact powerful TTL flash (also, you wouldn't need an adaptor for the Sony version of the Nissin). There's no alternative to the Nissin out there IMHO.

Having that said, I like Metz, and the next two flashes I'm going to buy will be Metz ones (the 52 AF-1 and the 15 MS-2), but for a compact walk-around flash, I would need more features and power than what the 24 AF-1 can provide in a smaller package than, say, the 44 AF-1.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Nissin i40 is compact but not that light weight. The Tumax clone weighs 127 g without batteries and Nissin i40 203 g. Nissin takes 4 AA batteries instead of 2 so the weight difference is about 1:2. The Nissin one is much more versatile so it is probably better choice for a first/only flash but for travelling I may get the Tumax (I have 5 manual flashes and Minolta 3600 HSD). The price difference is quite big too.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, it's a little heavier, but considering it's twice the power, it's worth it. I just know I couldn't live without a swiveling head, and four batteries mean you get twice the amount of shots at similar power output before you need to replace them. Price is another question of course, but for items this essential to photography, I wouldn't go cheap.

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm also waiting for the Nissin i40, but as far as I know the Sony-compatible version is not going to be available in the UK (where I think it's launching first) till June. Canon and Nikon ones are already out. And then I'd probably still wait for some reviews. Gotta save up for the 16-35/4 too!

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I think that it is best first/only flash for Nex now. Additional benefit from 4 AAs is much shorter recycle time (and remember that upper limit should be measured for full power flashes and you need to charge less if you use only half power) and batteries will probably last more than twice as these two AA flashes are pretty harsh on them.

I am thinking these Metz/Tumax not as essential items but as nice to have on travel etc. and Nissin as more serious tool. I will anyway use manual flashes for any serious use as I am fan of lambency diffusers and these use lot of power. I ordered the Jinbei MF-44 battery pack just for such use. Two 50 GN flashes in tandem and lambencies on for ambient light and smaller flash on camera.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I think I know what you mean (these GN24 flashes), but Metz indeed makes some very nice flashes. The 52 AF-1 is the first and only flash with a touch screen user interface, and that interface actually works brilliantly. Also, the 15 MS-1 and some of their speciality flashes are unique in the market, and their standard flashes are built solidly in Germany and are reliable as hell while still being far cheaper than the camera brand competition. And I know first hand just how good their service is - haven't seen a flash maker with better service yet.

11. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    I have big powerful flashes, I just wanted this for a little ttl pop, mostly for light fill and catch lights. I have an actual kit bag with 4 flashes in it wireless triggers, 3 stofens 2 lightspheres and a rogue flashbender! That is for pro work though. This was for lazy holiday pics :p

so first usage and results.

It is very light and small, I dont feel it on the a7r (this is the main reason I didnt get an old sunpack or wait for the Nissin i40)
    Recycle time for my use isnt an issue. I am setting the a7r to shoot ambient with continuous lights or daylight. The flash is for fill not main illumination. So it is probably at about 1/32 or 1/64 power. With 4 shots a second it keeps up great, every shot gets flash no issues for me :p

Example shot with Ambient light from back and side (tiny studio no room to move lights, but placed my wife here like this to illustrate a point.)

13909873839_19ca2302db_b. studio set up at iso 400 2800k lights by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

With the metz, on camera pointed straight on, at -2 flash comp gelled with a cto to match the continuous studio lights

13909900969_bbb79602c1_b. studio setip at iso400 2800k lights and ttl flash at -2 exp comp gelled with CTO by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

both shots basically OOC except a crop and sync of colour temperature.

For me anyway its perfect. I already have a bunch of 58 power flashes I can shoot wirelessly, I really just wanted something small for my bag when out and about. I also wanted something for minor fill when I had a complex set up and needed a bit of pop from the front, without having to think too much. Hope this helps folks, any questions let me know.

• Like Like x 1