1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Great Deal – Great Printer

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by WoodWorks, Jun 18, 2014.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know how many of you print your photos. I know that I didn't very often until this year. But late last year I needed to replace my aging Canon i9900, and found a fantastic deal on a newer large-format printer. Basically... it was free to me. And until the end of this month, those of you in the market for a new printer may be able to score a similar deal.

The printer is a Canon Pixma PRO-100, an 8-cartridge, large-format (13" x 19" or A3+) printer that prints wirelessly over WiFi, and it has so far greatly exceeded all of my expectations. But it's the software (Print Studio Pro) that comes with the printer that has made it far better than any printer that I've ever used. Because for the first time I can actually print output that almost exactly matches what I see on my monitor.

I know. Hard to believe.

The software, Print Studio Pro, is a Lightroom plug-in that you use to specify all of your desired print configurations: paper size, margins, color and paper profiles, rendering intent, etc. And assuming that you have a calibrated monitor (I use Datacolor's Spyder 4 Pro to do that) what the printer spits out comes as close to what displays on your monitor as I have ever seen.

[​IMG]

But what if you're using non-supported paper, or can't download a profile for it? Well, Print Studio Pro has a built in Pattern Print feature that allows you to easily print out a pattern of up to 18 different thumbnails on your paper, from which you can select the closest match.

[​IMG]

But here's the kicker: Until the end of the month, Canon is offering a US$300 mail-in rebate on these printers, and B&H is selling the printers for US$398, which is the same deal I got last December. And since I sold my old Canon for US$100 on ebay, basically Canon paid me US$2 to take their printer. :)

So I have been going nuts, printing and framing many of my favorite photos, and am filling blank walls with a rotating exhibit of them.

[​IMG]

Someone stop me before I print again! :D

• Like Like x 7
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wow, that is quite a deal.

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    One caution: In the past Canon used a really shady rebate company that would pretend they didn't receive certain required things like UPC or invoice copy, so make sure you have copies of everything and consider taking photos of the contents of what you are mailing in before you put it in the mail.

• Like Like x 2
  6. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Good advice, Amin. I always take copies of everything I send in when submitting a rebate request. That said, this particular time the rebate was processed within a few weeks, and Canon has set up a web site where you can track its progress. Got a couple of very nice dinners out with my wife from it! :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  8. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Which monitor you have? And did you calibrate printer also?

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I use an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display. I don't calibrate the printer.

10. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks!!!

11. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I bought this printer around the time that this thread began. Since then I've done these that some of you may find interesting. One is printed on canvas and the other on Lustre.
    These are just low res pics but you'll see the concept.
    ce4e79f30955f315be7f9b1917196736. a399f9dfb1182da532abd25b0bb8a926. fab616116d6c642c2158f3419946810b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  12. stripedrex

stripedrex TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    Amin be careful right now the rebate is for less. The $300 rebate STARTS APRIL 1st! That's one of the known 'scams' is it seems they release these rebates early to say oops you bought it too fast. You can get the lesser rebate now (looks like $150). I'd cancel the order and order again for the $300.

13. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    This is an old post. I appended the pictures to it because they're from this printer that I purchased because of the post.
    Thanks for pointing out that this rebate isn't active any more!

14. stripedrex

stripedrex TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2014
    Oh haha I didn't even read the 2014 lol thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I should have thought of that happening. Anyway, still love the printer and got my rebate fast.

16. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    My i9900 died on me after 10 years of use, so I had to order one of these a month ago or so. There were bunch of on sale around $150 in ebay... That was much faster:)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  18. CJScott

CJScott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    Just ordered mine through the Adorama VIP program. I can't recall exactly, but I believe it's free to join. If it is not, you can find a "coupon" to make it free on any number of coupon sites
    The printer is $299 through the site with a free package of the rebate applicable paper to make the rebate $250.