1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Great Basin NP & Bristlecone Pines

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WoodWorks, Aug 18, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I took a few days off and rode out to camp in the Great Basin National Park in eastern Nevada, where up above 10,000 ft, (~3,000 m) there are groves of 3,000 - 4,000 year-old bristlecone pine trees. The ride out and back, and the hike up to see the trees was, well, let's just say it beats working. :p

Wheeler Peak 13,065 feet (3,982 m) from just outside my tent at sunrise.

9541052549_74052bb5b3_b.
    Wheeler Peak Sunrise 1.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Ancient bristlecone pine trees.

9543837308_626682b198_b.
    Bristlecone 6.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

9543836278_3e818b6545_b.
    Bristlecone 5.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

9543833666_3416a616cd_b.
    Bristlecone 3.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

My campsite wasn't bad.

9543830684_0711edd88b_c.
    Wheeler Peak Camp.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

And the only way to get there is on highway US 50, aka "The Loneliest Road in America."

9543829712_73769eb352_b.
    US 50.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

More images from the trip can be found on my Flickr page.

All shot with the NEX-6, and the SELP1650, SEL1018, and Olympus PEN F 38mm f/1.8

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Awesome series as usual. :)

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Beautiful! Looks like a fun time.

4. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Excellent!

Sent from my MB855 using TalkNEX mobile app

5. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Great pictures! They have great contrast. Are they post processed? I like #5, the one with the sun burst. Larry

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks Larry. Yes, I post process every image that I think is worth showing. To me, an image isn't done until I do. But I came back with plenty of images that are going to sit, unprocessed, in my Lightroom library until I find something in them worth working on.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A little OT, but how safe is such a solo trip out there, from a crime standpoint? We used to have the lowest crime rate of any state, then the drug pushers moved in from nearby big cities, and the drug problem skyrocketed. I'm always very aware of my surroundings when I hike, because there have been attempted muggings and even a few murders of people out in the woods.

Tony

9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, as far as personal risks go, I have a much, much higher risk of getting hurt on that bike out in the middle of nowhere than I do from other humans. That's why I always carry a satellite PLB on my handlebars, and know how to use it.

But my experience has always been, the farther you get from major population centers, the friendlier the people get, and the more likely they are to help you. Almost every time I stop alongside the road to take a picture, some local in a pickup would pull over to see if everything was OK.

Last year I took a solo trip down to Baja, and I got a lot of the same questions about safety. But more Americans get killed in Las Vegas every year than in all of Mexico. I figure, if you aren't involved in the drug trade, the chances of you running afoul of it are almost zero.

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The satellite PLB is not a bad idea. I go pretty far from my car on some of my hikes.

11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nice David, I really like the selfie.

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    From what I've seen of the surrounding landscape in your photos, Tony, a PLB may not work as well for you. They don't do a great job of getting their very weak signal through overhead foliage. Not so much a problem where I like to ride. :p

9543842534_8a8191e277_b.
    Ruby Lake Road.jpg by Holzwerk, on Flickr

13. TOGAR

TOGAR TalkEmount Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brings back memories of a time, just after the park was created and my wife and I visited this area on our Honda Goldwing. How quiet and peaceful!

14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice work!!!