1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grass is always greener

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Nov 16, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    This is a reworking of a post I made on photo lounge that I decided needed to be changed to more accurately reflect what I had meant to say originally.

I have been shooting NEX cameras for a number of years and recently spent time shooting a Fuji (and before that I shot m43). They are all pretty good and capable of outstanding results. What I find interesting and a bit frustrating is how often we (myself included) have a grass is greener on the other side of the fence approach to our gear. I can't think of how many times I have found myself wanting this camera, that lens or some combination thereof. I tell myself that it is because I NEED it for some reason but the truth is more likely that I WANT it. There is nothing wrong with wanting something but I also know that I fib to myself and fabricate some fiction about how the new [camera, lens, bag, software, printer] will improve my photography. It doesn't.

Case in point, my "ancient" NEX 6 is capable of nice results too. These are all MF using even more antiquated adapted lenses.

Konica Hexanon 40/1.8
    21900656265_d8180736aa_h.
    fallen angel
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC
    22631046029_aa4977de93_h.
    loner color
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

This last one was a JPEG using the BW creative mode...

Konica Hexanon 40/1.8
    22998888336_9af3762e27_h. the model by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I think in the excitement over new stuff sometimes we forget what the gear we have can do when asked.

Would I like to have a new Sony FF body, or perhaps a nifty Fuji body and one of their sweet lenses? Sure! Would I like to have a Leica M and some of their legendary glass? You betcha! I love new gear, but none of it makes me a better photographer. In fact some of my best shots are the ones where I was working to overcome a limitation of some sort.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Kevin, that first pic, which I've seen elsewhere in this forum, remains one of my favourites.

I do agree that being able to produce great images with the gear that one currently uses, and having to overcome some limitation or another, does give a lot of personal satisfaction.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great post Kevin!
    I've always believed that gear doesn't necessarily make the photographer (but in some cases you need some better/more specialized equipment) but its a fact that gear lust is strong among this hobby/profession - to be able to resist is a huge achievement for me :)

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I constantly struggle with wanting new gear. In a way it's good that I don't have the disposable income to support my habit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    heard that!

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same here :)

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... Patience... Self-restraint... Maturity...

Right after I get me that A7Rii. :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well said IMO...my sentiments as well...I also only use legacy (Canon) manual lenses from the 80's and have limited my camera investment to the NEX-7 model.
    1) In retirement I will not layout the huge money for modern auto-everything lenses when manual lenses get everything done for my particular subject interests;
    2) The decision to use manual lenses has forced me to learn how to become a 'better photographer', and its a satisfying work-in-progress;
    3) And I'm still discovering / learning how to use features on the NEX-7; :)

• Like Like x 4