1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grand Canyon Walk Rim to Rim

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Gunny, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Gunny

Gunny TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2013
    Verona, VA
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Stunning stuff Gunny, the GC is in my bucket list. ;)

3. Gunny

Gunny TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2013
    Verona, VA
    Well worth the trip, and the first week of March probably has the best weather. 28 degrees on the top at night and 40's to 50's on the bottom with high's on the bottom in the 70's this trip, YMMV. I may return next March to do a different trail and explore more. Key here was "Down is Optional, Up is Mandatory", I saw many unprepared people, and one potential rescue in the works.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Definitely on the bucket list. More so now that I have this new hobby.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, you got some beauties there, Gunny. And you're right, both times I've been there, I've run into people hiking down into the canyon who looked like they had no idea how difficult it was going to be, and how much water they'd need, to climb back out. A ranger there told me that they have to extract someone at least once a week.

6. Gunny

Gunny TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2013
    Verona, VA
    350 Major rescues last year makes it almost one a day.

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Been there and these are great pics posted by OP.

Looking forward to getting back with Nex in hand instead of A700 w vg! The GC can not be explained, photos help of course but until you are there you really can't understand.

8. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    A beautiful series. I would love to go there one day.

9. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    What were the particulars of your trail route Gunny? This looks a little more difficult than Bright Angel....I have only been in May, agree March must be epic.

10. Gunny

Gunny TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2013
    Verona, VA
    Started at Grand Canyon Village on the south rim and proceeded to Indian Gardens for the first night, then to Phantom Ranch, proceeding to Cottonwood Canyon with day hikes from there. Return same route. Took our time with 5 to 7.5 miles a day and time to take pictures and relax. Bright Angle Trail to Phantom Ranch and North Kaibab Trail to North Rim.

11. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    That sounds fantastic! Still a lot of snow pack on the North Rim.....not open topside to the public yet usually?

Post up some more if you have time, love it!

12. Gunny

Gunny TalkEmount Regular

Sep 12, 2013
    Verona, VA
    No snow on the north rim this year, highly unusual. Last year had 2', North Rim was still closed to traffic. Was very warm this year, had trouble sleeping as it was to hot at 40 degrees, was prepared for 20.

13. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Haven't done the North Rim, have family in AZ so hope to get there soon!!! Adds several hours to the drive from the south tho.

Recent visit was via a trek on the Grand Canyon Railway.....incredible fun. Certainly a much different experience than yours but man it was memorable. I highly recommend. Train runs out of Williams, we were staying outside of Flag, it is an easy drive from there.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great time to be there

Not cold anymore, not yet heating up.

15. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Great series really. I enjoyed them all, #7 (with the bird) is my favorite, beautiful lighting.

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice set of photos!

17. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those are great; love the light and compositions. I would love to do something like a GC hike, but don't see it ever happening due to several factors.

Tony

18. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    Nice photos. I'll be going there this July. Will be limiting ourselves to the rim though because of the heat. Still, I can't wait to take some pics.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk