Grad ND filter kit for 10-18mm?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, May 2, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    Does anyone know what the smallest Cokin grad ND filter kit you can use on the 10-18mm lens (E-mount) without getting vignetting. Since the filter diameter of the lens is only 62mm, I figured I might be able to get away with the Classic P-Series or Z-Pro Series; however, at the 10mm focal length I thought I might need to go to the X-Pro Series.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are low profile filter holders for Cockin system. These may work much better than the regular ones. No experience with 10-18 mm but 10 mm may be so wide that even the adapter ring may vignette.
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I don' thave the 10-18, but I did have a Sigma 10-20 on my Pentax. If you get the 62-Cokin adapter and the single filter holder you shouldn't have any trouble. If all else fails you can always just hold the filter up in front of the lens while you take the shot. I've probably done that more often than messing with the holder. With a little practice you can even do it hand held pretty easily.
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Why don't you get the measurements of the Cokin filters off the internet (I'm sure with a little searching you could find it) and built cardboard mock-ups of them and figure out if they vignette or not. It would take a bit of effort, but would likely answer your question! :)