• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Got to see and handle the A1 today

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Got a call this weekend from the local camera store saying that the Sony rep would be there on Tuesday and would have both the A7Siii and A1 cameras with him.

Damn that A1 is nice.
  • 240hz EVF - No lag, very crisp. Was nice to look at with a manual lens - Might not need to use focus peaking.
  • 30fps - Didn't check with the lenses he had (24-70GM and 135/1.8), but the sound was definitely on the high end. I did put both a legacy (No contacts) lens on via adapter, plus the Tamron 70-180, and both of those I verified was only 15fps.
  • Smartphone connection via Imaging Edge allows you to touch the phone screen to set the focus point (Welcome back!)
  • AF was fast, accurate, and tracked very well.
  • Great that they fixed the locks on the drive speed and focus mode dials.
  • Touch screen menus are very cool.
But that price - Ouch!

Left to right - The store's A7Riii; The A1 with the 24-70GM, and the A7Siii with the 135/1.8

_A9_0001.JPG
ILCE-9    FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS    44mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 640

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Fantastic. I look at the A1 and realize that I will never own one. I might not ever own the A9II either. But I might be able to swing the A7rIV. I'm just not sure if 60-plus megapixels is manageable. So... how about you? Are you saving for the A1? :thumbup:

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I could buy one now if I wanted, but I'm only a hobbyist. While I really enjoyed using the A1 in the store, I just can't see myself purchasing it at this price. I am hoping many of the new features will eventually trickle down to other, less expensive cameras.

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Thanks for the hands-on mini-review. It just seems like too much camera for a hobbyist/enthusiast, although there may be an A7R4 in my near future. The nice thing is, we're going to see some of that tech filter down into the A7 line in the future. It won't all be in one camera, but we'll be able to afford some of it soon.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Won't jump in now but later this year it'll be more convenient financially to spring for the A1 and I'll probably cave in.
That's what I'm afraid of. My only hope is they announce some trickle down version BEFORE they start doing A1 discounts.

That's what I'm afraid of. My only hope is they announce some trickle down version BEFORE they start doing A1 discounts.
I really don't think they will do a cheaper version with similar specs. The stacked sensor of the A9(m2) has never appeared in any other model, I guess that this type of sensor is quite expensive and will continue to appear in high-speed cameras only.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I really don't think they will do a cheaper version with similar specs. The stacked sensor of the A9(m2) has never appeared in any other model, I guess that this type of sensor is quite expensive and will continue to appear in high-speed cameras only.
I think you may be right about this. That isn't to say more elements of the A9II won't make it to, say, the A7IV. But there will always be a difference.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
@dbmiller - Do you think the A1 would be a good match to the FE 4/24-105 G lens?
@AlwaysOnAuto Good question. I didn't look much at the quick snaps I took while in the store. The 24-105 is on the list of 30fps lenses, and it's a good lens, so I think it'd do quite well on the A9.

The 24-105 has good MTF scores, so yes, I think it would be a good match. The one shot zoomed in on while playing around was taken with the 24-70GM, and the zoomed in image was phenomenal. This camera will bring out the best of all lenses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom