Got Neewer TT560, Sunpak PF20XD and NEX-6..What do I need to make it all work together?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shaolin95, Oct 27, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well so I just won the Neewer TT560 for $16.50 shipped which I think is pretty sweet.
    Now while my main idea was to use it as my main Flash, I started thinking about things some other photographers do, like my wedding photographer will place a flash behind us and create this light outline behind use to separate from the background so I wanted to maybe use the Sunpak for that but it looks like no go since, while I can do it indoors when it can see the other flash and shoot at the same time, outdoors that does not work.
    So is there a way to use all 3 together...meaning, bult in, TT560 and Sunpak?
    Or what will you suggest I do next to?
    BTW, I am getting a mini softbox for the TT560 too.

Thanks!

2. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    If the TT560 & Sunpak have optical slave trigger, then you can use the built-in flash to trigger them. But as you found out, outdoor in bright light, optical trigger doesn't work well.

2nd option is wired. You will need hot-shoe splitter and 2 long flash chords and 2 hot shoes for the 2 flashes. This is cumbersome and people will trip over the wires.

3rd option is radio triggers. Since your flashes' power level can't be remotely adjusted, get the cheap dumb triggers. Youngnuo 602/603 might be good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    forgot to mention. You'll need 603 M2 if you decided to go Younguo since people mentioned compatibility with older models.

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I will look for those remote triggers. I was mostly thinking the Neewer as my on camera mounted one and the Sunpack on the floor or other location in some cases. But maybe I am going to deep into the complexity of flash for a noob :D

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Since I am using a Neewer flash, any reason not to go with their own remote trigger?
    Also, I am thinking on already selling the tt560 to get the 850 if I can use that high speed shutter feature with my NEX-6 so I am not limited to only 1/250. What you think? :)

6. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I haven't used other Godox/Neewer radio triggers so I don't know whether they will work with tt560.
    The FT-16/s receiver has its own proprietary connection into the 850 flash, so you can't use it on other flashes; whereas Younguo triggers will work with any flash with center firing pin.

In order to get HSS on 850, you'll need a transmitter that can send early sync signal to the receiver. Godox has the Cells II transmitter for Canon, but it won't work on Sony. I haven't found a solution to get 850 HSS to work with Sony.

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I see. Looks like for me a cheaper and better option for now will be to get a nice quality ND filter then. :)

8. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    another option is to get a used Sony flash, or 3rd party flash, that supports both TTL & HSS.
    I got a mint HVL-F43AM on craiglist for $150 USD. It needs an adapter for A7/A6000.

For run & gun situations where you don't have time to do manual, a TTL flash is invaluable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I guess then better just use this and save for the F43AM which I always wanted anyways :)