1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Got my Minolta 50 1.7...like it a lot

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by ubodepaode, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ubodepaode

ubodepaode TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago
    This is my first time playing with a legacy manual lens. I like it a lot, especially for the money spent, but I am now also curious what the 1.4, and others might produce.

I know this one was taken at F2.8 as there are no stops between 1.7 and there.

8465337303_971b53c7f8_c.
    Untitled by petar.antonic, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Beautiful picture and a tribute to this great lens !

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Peter, welcome to the world of legacy lenses. It's all downhill from here. One leads to two, two leads to four… :dance3:

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yup, I agree. I started with the 50 f/1.4, now I have a PEN f/1.8 and I'm bidding on a MD 24mm f/2.8. After that my sights are on a 135mm f/2.8...and the list goes on...I need to get a bigger camera bag me thinks.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome from me too!!!

That's exactly how I felt with my 1st legacy MF lens (and it was also an MD 50 f/1.7)
    https://www.talkemount.com/f12/im-love-1894/

^^This is exactly how it is :D (ask me how I know :p)

6. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Wow, that's sharp!

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Welcome, and you better make room on the shelf. I guarantee that won' be your last legacy lens (or Minolta). :biggrin:

8. ubodepaode

ubodepaode TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks, everyone. As you can see in my sig, this lens came in a bundle with other two, but I'm yet to take them out for a ride...will report back when I do. Will have to do some more research and pick up some quality pieces in the future.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Beautiful shot, I absolutely love the colours!

10. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Great portrait. You have that lens figured out nicely.

11. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Found that out last night on both counts...ordered a Minolta MD W. ROKKOR-X 24mm 1:2.8.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I picked up an Minolta MD 70-210/4 macro yesterday. I've herd a lot of good things about it and my experience with the MD 35-70/3.5 proved to me that legacy lenses can in fact be quite good on digital IF you have the right lens. The MD 70-210/4 is reputed to be a design that was also sold by Leitz so we'll see how it works out. Picked it up for the princely sum of $38 so I'm not out too much if it'a a bust.

The 24/2.8 is a nice lens. It has taken some getting used to for me as it doesn't close focus quite as well as my Vivitar 28/2 but it's sharp and has very nice OOF backgrounds. I'm excited to see what you think when it arrives.

13. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Me too. Grabbed it from lattiboy. I'm hoping he is able to get it out today, that way it might be here by Saturday. I'm also interested in seeing how you handle the 70-210. I want one more lens, something with reach. After that, I'll be done for a while. I got a new camera bag today and it's already too full. I thought my Crumpler 4mdh would be enough, not even close, so I got a Timbuk2 Snoop and while it's larger, still not quite enough. I hate trying to shop for camera bags. So much harder than picking out a new lens...lol

Oh, where the heck did you find that lens for $38? That's crazy. Cheapest I've seen it so far is $82 shipped.

14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yeah I paid 99 for mine but its the 3.5/4.5 version.

15. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    eBay, someone that was getting rid of husbands stuff (divorce or perhaps they passed away) and clearly didn't know what they had. They also didn't list it in a way most folks looking for that lens would find it but I could tell from the photos what it is. I found it because i typed the search term in wrong. I also messaged them to verify a few things.

Dumb luck basically.

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, I'm basically only missing a long zoom and want to buy the 70-210 3.5 version but it bugs me that its so heavy and so big :mad:

...So, I've been watching for the variable aperture version - how do you find the 3.5-4.5 version Deadbear77 ?

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you can miss out a little on the long end, you may also consider an MD 75-150/4: light, sharp and mostly not too expensive. I also have an MD 70-210/4 that I never use, just not good enough on the NEX and far too heavy to my taste.

18. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Interesting you don't like the 70-210 on the NEX. Why is that? I assume you find the 75-150 better suited? How about a prime lens? I too and looking for something longer than my Tamron 90mm and don't feel the need for a zoom lens and honestly I'd probably prefer a prime.

19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The one I have (which may just be a bad sample!) is not really very sharp at 70mm and only becomes better when zooming out until it's quite good at 210mm. Uneven performance across the zoom range and especially the shorter focal lengths have to be very good for me. Besides that it's so heavy and large that handholding is out of the question for me. Incidentally, on my Panasonic GH2 the loss in sharpness at the short end is even more apparent. The 75-150/4 is much better in terms of sharpness across the whole zoom range, and it's handling is a lot better too. It's by far not as front heavy and it's a lot lighter too. I use the 75-150/4 a lot on my GH2 also, with very good results.

If you're after a longer prime than a 90mm I would go for a 135/2.8. Don't know about other brands, but all Minolta MD 135/2,8 lenses are excellent by f/4.