1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Got my A7rIII today!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mattia, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    ....and now the wait begins. Battery is charging, I'm browsing the manual, but won't really get to play with it properly until Sunday (long shifts at work...)

I bought the A7r when it came out (and considering what it is worth in the well-used but fully functional condition it is in, I'll kee it for Astro and adapted glass), with the 55/1.8 (love it) and 35/2.8 (unexciting, sadly), later adding the CV Nokton 35/1.2 II (love it) and the 16-35/4.0 (also lovely). Picked up a decently priced Sony 85/1.8 last week during Black Friday sales too, to round out the set a little. Which focuses fine in bright light in the mark I, but hunts uselessly in not-so-terribly-dim indoor lighting.

I very briefly played with the mark III (with its empty battery), and very very first impressions were this:

1. Comfortable! Slightly larger, not in a bad way. I'm one of the weirdos who did not mind the mark I bodies, though. Dials and buttons feel better thought out overall.

2. FAST! Startup, responsiveness, bursts, AF in even poor light (worlds apart from the mark I)

3. Gorgeous EVF!

Most curious to see how the FE 55 performs in lower light (in terms of AF). Will pr Badly spend Sundayenu diving and fiddling with customization to get things where I want them to be.

Will post updated thoughts and some sample shots as time permits!

• Like Like x 11
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. mattia

Dec 13, 2013
    Right, a few thoughts. Keep in mind my only experience of Sony E-mount cameras to date has been the A7r 'classic'. Never shot a mark II, so don't know how they compare. My 'other camera' is an Olympus E-M1, which was always the far, far more responsive of the two, but since I mostly enjoy shooting candid people shots in available light or travel/landscape stuff, the A7r suited me just fine. But this...is a bit of a revelation.

Handling
    Much better. More comfortable grip, AF point joystick, touchscreen AF point selection. I'm still figuring out which functions to map to which buttons, but I've got the basics down for now.

Shooting experience
    I never thought AF-C was particularly useful in any camera I owned for anything other than the occasional attempt at tracking action. But on this camera, it works pretty flawlessly for the purposes I put it to, such as tracking people as they walk down a street (away or towards me), even in terrible light (ISO 6400, 1/60, f/1.8, tungsten bulb street lights kind of lighting), and it just nails it. The FE 55/1.8 is an entirely reborn lens. Where it was a little slow and hesitant on the mark I, it's nimble and confident on the mark III. A world of difference. The 16-35 is about the same, and now a touch slower than the 55. The 85 I'm still getting used to, because I don't tend to shoot lenses at that length all that often. But initial impressions are very good.

Battery life
    I'm 400 frames in or so, and it's at 70%. On the first-time charge. So that's a breath of fresh air.

Image quality
    I'll get back to you. Haven't really shot much worth writing home about, or spent time really pushing or pulling the files in Capture One. Mostly I'm waiting for DxO to release the modules I want...

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. magicaxeman

magicaxeman TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    Just got mine this afternoon, I think the only gripe I have is the mode dial lock, what on earth mossed them to think of using the older push/hold to turn the dial design instead of the newer push to lock, push to unlock the later Olympus's have? its a nightmare for disabled users as it takes three fingers to do, 1 to hold down the lock button so the dial is unlocked and two to twist the dial, with the push/push design it can all be done with one finger.
    Like you I'm coming from an A7r so have really noticed the improvements especially the high ISO performance as I shoot a lot in low light.

4. mattia

Dec 13, 2013
    Agreed, the mode dial lock is a bit annoying. I don't shift modes very often so it hadn't bothered me much.

The high ISO on the mark I was already impressive, but this is just better. And the AF is impressive, although I'm still wrapping my head around the various options (i.e priority tracking with eye AF, and which modes work best for what...).

I was at a wedding yesterday and shot about 1500 frames, about 1/3 in MF (cv 35/1.2), the rest mostly with the 55/1.8. Eye AF = wow. In party ligting with dancing crowds of people it's not always easy for the camera to recognize a face, but once it does it's works great. Flexible spot with face recognition worked a treat. I did find the 85/1.8 was. It as zippy as the 55. Touch sluggish acquiring focus sometimes. The auto-ISO implementation was a handy way to adjust shutter speed upwards when movement increased. ISO 12,800? Very usable for black and white shots (even the SOOC jpgs). I don't have time to process anything today (holiday tomorrow), but I will have a broader selection of shots in 3-4 weeks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I'm getting a lot of "Writing to memory card. Unable to operate" msgs on my A7R ii switching from shooting to reviewing images. How's the write speed in real life with A7R iii?

6. orlcam88

orlcam88 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    That's the one thing I think about when I was choosing between the mark II vs III. I chose the II due to $$$. At 400 frames, I'd be close to using a 3rd battery!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.